Make .xpi from existent installed addon Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

BlueOwl

Make .xpi from existent installed addon

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-24, 17:44

Hello fellow PaleMoon users :wave: , this is my first post. I've recently returned to PM and have been reading these forums for a while (I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section).
Question is, how can I build an .xpi from an installed addon I have? (which has since been removed from AMO). I'm talking about "Movable Firefox Button" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ox-button/. I tried to contact the dev writing a review on AMO on their most popular addon (they may answer later on, I don't know), but I'd still like to have an .xpi for archiving/personal use only.

To Moonchild and the PM team, thanks for making an amazing browser :thumbup: . Your work is very much appreciated (and since I can't buy you a beer/coffee, I have disabled uBlock Origin on palemoon.org).

dlangton

Re: Make .xpi from existent installed addon

Unread post by dlangton » 2018-04-25, 01:10

The simplest way to export your extensions is to use the export extension at https://realityripple.com/Software/Mozi ... ns/ExtExp/ . It's also listed on the Pale Moon extension site.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-04-25, 01:11

You might try the FEBE Backup your Pale Moon data extension. Its what I've been using for quite some time.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-25, 04:39

Thanks! ExtExp is just what I was looking for. FEBE seems far more comprehensive, but I may need it someday, you never know. :)
I was able to create the .xpi successfully. Thanks to you (both) for replying.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-04-25, 19:17

I found that it is possible to extract an .xpi file from the profile. Rename it to give it an identifiable filename, and it is usable. If the extension is actually removed from the xpi file in the profile, one can take another xpi file, dump out its contents, and put in new contents. It becomes quite usable then.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-25, 19:33

Goodydino wrote:I found that it is possible to extract an .xpi file from the profile. Rename it to give it an identifiable filename, and it is usable. If the extension is actually removed from the xpi file in the profile, one can take another xpi file, dump out its contents, and put in new contents. It becomes quite usable then.
This doesn't make much sense to me... an addon is an XPI file, which in turn is really just a zip file (or a regular folder, if it's a very old add-on). The most straightforward way to "export" an addon from an existing profile is to go to the extensions directory within the profile directory and copy the XPI file out directly.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-04-26, 21:24

But I found some add-ons that had been removed from the xpi file in the profile. To get an installable add-on from that, I had to use the shell of another xpi file.