Removing LSO's? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Kate C

Removing LSO's?

Unread post by Kate C » 2017-12-17, 19:41

A new user of Pale Moon here!

OK I did a bit of browsing regarding add ons that remove LSO's. My conclusion was to go with the Better Privacy extension that used to use in Firefox. But I cant find it in the firefox list of extentions, proably because they've removed it.

So..... what do people recommend to remove LSO's then?

Thanks

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Removing LSO's?

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-12-17, 20:58

Here it is. Download the "d40f5e7b-d2cf-4856-b441-cc613eeffbe3.xpi" it is the same as I downloaded from AMO.

https://github.com/xtraeme-xt/BetterPrivacy/releases

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-12-18, 08:17

Isn't Flash going into retirement soon?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-12-18, 09:17

John connor wrote:Isn't Flash going into retirement soon?
Not that soon.
https://www.infoworld.com/article/32107 ... -2020.html

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-12-18, 09:18

John connor wrote:Isn't Flash going into retirement soon?
It depends on what you define as "soon".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-18, 10:34

Even if Adobe stops updating it, there is literally a mountain of Flash content out there that people will continue to use -- many very creative projects were made in Flash that can't simply be converted and won't be discarded. So expect to see Flash to be in use way past "soon".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kate C

Unread post by Kate C » 2017-12-18, 12:43

billmcct wrote:Here it is. Download the "d40f5e7b-d2cf-4856-b441-cc613eeffbe3.xpi" it is the same as I downloaded from AMO.

https://github.com/xtraeme-xt/BetterPrivacy/releases

Bill
Thanks Bill.

A slight problem though. It downloads and then I get:
BetterPrivacy could not be installed because it is not compatible with Pale Moon 27.6.2
Also other options besides BetterPrivacy?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-12-18, 15:48

Kate C wrote:Thanks Bill.

A slight problem though. It downloads and then I get:
BetterPrivacy could not be installed because it is not compatible with Pale Moon 27.6.2
Also other options besides BetterPrivacy?
Two options:
1- Unzip the xpi file and change the min version number in the "install.rdf" file to 27.0 from 49.0 and rezip the file changing the extension from zip to xpi..
2- Use Moon Tester tool to install.
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/

As far as I know BetterPrivacy is the easiest way to do this since it can be set to automatic not sure of any other options.
You can also chance the name of the xpi to BetterPrivacy-1.77.xpi

Bill
Tommy Lasorda

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-12-18, 17:47

Kate C wrote:BetterPrivacy could not be installed because it is not compatible with Pale Moon 27.6.2
It installs OK if you turn off compatibility checking using the addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... atibility/
However note that that's not exactly encouraged - though I've never had a problem and Pale Moon will still flag incompatible SDK & WebExtensions extensions.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-18, 21:53

I would suggest the pale moon extension cookie exterminator which removes local storage objects.I also remove them manually if its in regard to flash.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-18, 23:31

Can someone define LSO for those of us who are not sure what this uncommon acronym means?

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-12-19, 01:09

From our friends at wikipedia:
Local shared objects, commonly called Flash cookies, are pieces of data that websites which use Adobe Flash may store on a user's computer. Local shared objects have been used by all versions of Flash Player since version 6.
Obviously, LSO = Local Shared Objects

Here is Ghacks on this subject from 2007 https://www.ghacks.net/2007/05/04/flash-cookies-explained/

Better Privacy deals with Flash Cookies. I have used this extension ever since I first learned about Flash Cookies and the nasty things that they are.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-12-19, 08:04

TwoTankAmin wrote:
Better Privacy deals with Flash Cookies. I have used this extension ever since I first learned about Flash Cookies and the nasty things that they are.
Same here, albeit it I haven't updated it since the epoch of ape man.

Then there's the HTLM5 storge and I use Sandboxie to handle that crap. I wrote a tut here on the forum about it. And it's filled under Software on my website.
https://techcomputerforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=512

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-07-28, 17:23

I have used SDC since before I found Pale Moon. I have ver. 1.68.1 signed. It shows up in my extensions with and orange dot. I hate Flash and by extension, Adobe. I usually have it set to always ask or never run. I am using the final ESR version 18.0.0.382. There are only two options for Flash as far as I am concerned. This ESR version or no Flash at all. The problem is there are still some sites on which I shop where some things will not work without Flash.

I cannot imagine using any software from Adobe. My pdf reader is from Tracker Software. I create any PDF files I might need in Word and then save them as a pdf or export them to a pdf (whichever one I need to do- i do it so rarely I forgot which way). I even have this extension set to kill the basic Flash cookie itself.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson