ABPrime - The Binary Outcast Adblocker and Tobin's True Vision

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: ABPrime - The Binary Outcast Adblocker and Tobin's True Vision

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-30, 17:07

Assuming you mean ABPrime when you say ABP: development is done on an "as-needed" basis.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-09-23, 08:32

I found a bug. I think.
With ABPrime installed with EasyList, the wikia.com site renders completely broken. Example: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_ ... lls_Online. Actually, another good example is https://forum.xda-developers.com/.

Can anyone confirm this?

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-09-23, 08:56

Octopuss wrote:I found a bug. I think.
With ABPrime installed with EasyList, the wikia.com site renders completely broken. Example: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_ ... lls_Online. Actually, another good example is https://forum.xda-developers.com/.

Can anyone confirm this?
Yes is true, I just tested now.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-09-23, 09:10

Back to ABL then, this is way too serious. Who knows how many other sites are affected.

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-09-23, 09:55

ABL was sacrificed in favor of ABPrime, so his support has long ceased. it's better to use something fresh, for example ublock origin ;)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-09-23, 10:21

I lived under the impression that most people used ABL and ABPrime was not very well received for whatever reason. Either way, neither of them seems to be under any development, so it doesn't matter much.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-09-23, 13:20

ABPrime works well for me and I have had no issues with the sites I regularly visit.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-09-23, 13:23

Octopuss wrote:I lived under the impression that most people used ABL and ABPrime was not very well received for whatever reason. Either way, neither of them seems to be under any development, so it doesn't matter much.
As long as functionality is maintained there is no need for further development.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-09-23, 16:48

Octopuss wrote:
I found a bug. I think.
Maybe this should be reported on ABPrime's GitHub page? :?:

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-09-23, 19:06

It's an EasyList issue, not ABP/ABL. I've personally been using Pete Lowe's list for a while now for this exact reason.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-23, 19:09

As for the ABL vs ABPrime thing: Tobin decided that ABPrime is the way an ad blocker of this family should work, and forked it off from his work on ABL 3.5 to become a separate extension. That has little to no bearing on Adblock Latitude which has continued as-is.
Both extensions have a different approach which are mutually exclusive. See the explanations all over in the relevant threads talking about this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-09-23, 19:23

trava90 wrote:It's an EasyList issue, not ABP/ABL. I've personally been using Pete Lowe's list for a while now for this exact reason.
It is not. I disabled ABPrime, installed ABL, and the problem went away.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-23, 20:44

Pay attention class.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote: Easylist has a filter at the top using an unsupported filter type known as $webrtc it is designed to block ads coming through webrtc connections.

It seems that Adblock Latitude (and the Adblock Plus versions it was originally derived from) is better at ignoring unknown filter types than ABPrime is and to my knowledge Adblock Plus for Chrome is the only Adblock variant to have this fully implemented. Which is why there is no reported issues on the Firefox side of things.

But rest assured that it is being looked into.

In the meantime, as Pale Moon does not have nor is likely to ever have WebRTC you can safely disable this filter and the affected sites SHOULD display correctly.

The Filter:

Code: Select all

$webrtc,domain=101greatgoals.com|ack.net|allkpop.com|allthetests.com|alltube.tv|androidcentral.com|audioholics.com|barnstablepatriot.com|boards2go.com|bolde.com|britannica.com|businessnewsdaily.com|buzzfil.net|cantonrep.com|capecodtimes.com|champion.gg|cheeseheadtv.com|clicknupload.link|closerweekly.com|collegehumor.com|columbiatribune.com|connectedly.com|crackberry.com|csgolounge.com|destructoid.com|dispatch.com|dorkly.com|dota2lounge.com|enterprisenews.com|eztv.ag|fayobserver.com|fhm.com|firstforwomen.com|flexonline.com|freewarefiles.com|gastongazette.com|geekzone.co.nz|ghacks.net|go4up.com|goerie.com|gorillavid.in|goupstate.com|grammarist.com|gsmarena.com|hdfilme.tv|healthline.com|heraldtribune.com|houmatoday.com|imore.com|intouchweekly.com|investopedia.com|j-14.com|jpost.com|kingvid.tv|kiplinger.com|laptopmag.com|lifeandstylemag.com|lolcounter.com|m-magazine.com|mac-torrents.com|madamenoire.com|maketecheasier.com|mashable.com|mensfitness.com|merriam-webster.com|metrowestdailynews.com|motor1.com|motorsport.com|muscleandfitness.com|news-journalonline.com|newsarama.com|nintendoeverything.com|nwfdailynews.com|nydailynews.com|phonearena.com|pjstar.com|probuilds.net|providencejournal.com|radaronline.com|readmanga.today|recordonline.com|sj-r.com|skidrowreloaded.com|soapoperadigest.com|solomid.net|sourceforge.net|space.com|spanishdict.com|streamfilmzzz.com|streamzzz.online|teamliquid.net|telegram.com|teslacentral.com|theberry.com|thechive.com|thepoliticalinsider.com|tmn.today|tomsguide.com|tomshardware.co.uk|tomshardware.com|topix.com|uploading.site|uptobox.com|uticaod.com|vidtodo.com|vidzi.tv|vrheads.com|vvdailypress.com|watchtvserieslive.org|wikia.com|windowscentral.com|womansworld.com|xda-developers.com

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-23, 20:57

See also 1, 2.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-09-24, 00:01

Octopuss wrote:It is not. I disabled ABPrime, installed ABL, and the problem went away.
I have encountered the same thing on my wife's machine using ABL + EasyList, which was also resolved by switching her to Peter Lowe's list. Either way it's being looked into and no doubt will be fixed at some point in the future.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-24, 03:45

Octopuss wrote:
trava90 wrote:It's an EasyList issue, not ABP/ABL. I've personally been using Pete Lowe's list for a while now for this exact reason.
It is not. I disabled ABPrime, installed ABL, and the problem went away.
trava90 wrote:I have encountered the same thing on my wife's machine using ABL + EasyList, which was also resolved by switching her to Peter Lowe's list.

I don't know what other issues may have come up in connection with EasyList.
(It hasn't posed problems for me.)

But concerning just this current problem with elderscrolls.wikia.com and forum.xda-developers.com - It is specific to ABPrime. I tested with ABPrime, ABL and uBO. The problem did not occur with ABL (or uBO) on my machine.

Another user also reported this very same issue about two months ago concerning the second of those sites, forum.xda-developers.com. He too said that it only happened with ABPrime, and what he described matched the explanation relayed from Tobin.
trava90 wrote:Either way it's being looked into and no doubt will be fixed at some point in the future.
Absolutely.

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-09-24, 04:27

Off-topic:
I've since switched to uBO with the malware filter, alongside uMatrix and NoScript (with scripts globally allowed, just using for the base protections such as XSS). Haven't had any problems since, and uMatrix is both much easier to use and much more fine-grained than NoScript and uBO is also simple to use and adjust on-the-fly as needed. Still, it's nice to have options and backups, and ABPrime seems like it would be a great alternative to uBO if needed or desired, so I'm hopeful this does get fixed.

dutavr

Unread post by dutavr » 2017-11-12, 20:29

coffeebreak wrote:But concerning just this current problem with elderscrolls.wikia.com and forum.xda-developers.com - It is specific to ABPrime. I tested with ABPrime, ABL and uBO. The problem did not occur with ABL (or uBO) on my machine.
Same problem with https://sourceforge.net

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-11-12, 23:12

Ok, Kids.. I have released an update that will help the situation some.. ABPrime should no longer blatantly bust websites to which the filter described above applies to. However, it is not a perfect solution yet..

The filter is still blocking items I don't think should be blocked and a better solution will require more research. The filter now blocks specific targeted items and not every item ever on matched sites. I still suggest disabling the filter completely but the situation has improved. So quit complaining and read what was written above. You could also, you know, help or something. But no one will so go ahead and switch to something else if you want. Use what works best for you and will generate the least amount of tears for me to mop up.

For the rest of you who don't cry at the drop of a hat, thank you for being patient with me and I hope this does help. More research and solutions will be forthcoming.

Peace!

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-11-13, 18:53

It sounds to me like you're the one crying. If you can't handle people pointing out problems with your addon, maybe you shouldn't make it publicly available. I respect the work it takes to makes something such as this, and I applaud those that take the time to do so, but it does no good to do it if it doesn't work properly, and being rude to users just for pointing out its issues doesn't help anyone. As for switching to something else, yes, I'm going to use something that not only works better but is easier to use, and I'm going to let others who are having issues with a particular product (in this case ABPrime) know that those alternatives work better, so people that just want something that works and isn't going to break their web experience as much can be aware of it. And sure, we could disable the filter, but why should we? Instead of disabling it, I can use it with another addon that doesn't have issues with it. I wasn't denigrating ABPrime, I was simply saying another setup works better for me, so others could try it if so inclined, and I did so in a respectful way. Instead of being mature about it, you chose to mark it as off-topic and reply calling us "kids" and talking about how we're just "complaining" and "cry[ing] at the drop of a hat." As to your statement about nobody helping, we DID help, by pointing out the issue and discussing it to try and help figure it out. But apparently you're the type of developer who thinks that people should contribute by helping with the coding, never mind the fact most people can't. I personally help how I can: by discovering bugs and reporting them, offering feedback, spreading the word, and donating to projects that prove worthy of it, such as PaleMoon. I apologize that my coding expertise is limited to batch files, html, and basic VB; what a terrible person I am.

As I said before, ABPrime seems like a great alternative to uBO, in case that ever becomes unavailable for some reason or perhaps for more basic users that need blocking but uBO might be too much, such as my parents. But I can't set my parents up using it if it's going to completely break websites, hence why I said I hope the issue gets fixed. I'm sorry if you perceive that as complaining and crying.