No more NoScript?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

No more NoScript?

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-09-09, 08:56

So after reading the thread, "Pale Moon users out of luck?", at the NoScript forums, I see that we are going to have a problem. Giorgio will be abandoning XUL NoScript for WebExt NoScript by the time Fx ESR reaches its end of life, as indicated in this blog and in this one, and he is already putting a great deal of time and energy to creating his WebExt version.

The solution I guess will be to make a fork for PM, but I would have to wonder who would have the time & expertise to do this?

I have finally started to master the use of this extension, and I would be sorry to have to stop using it once it starts breaking.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

dark_moon

Re: No more NoScript?

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-09-09, 09:04

NoScript works *now* and i dont think using a old version is a problem.
Anyway you can switch to uMatrix if NoScript make trouble in future

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2017-09-09, 11:57

Ublock Origin or Umatrix (same developer) are alternatives to NoScript and superior ones for the granularity of control and options they offer.
I never could understand why NoScript, after all these years, still doesn't allow whitelisting of elements on a per site basis; if you allow facebook.com on one site you're allowing it globally. This is just one example of what more you can do with the two extensions mentioned above.
I'd go with Ublock because it's more actively developed and has a wonderful wiki:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-09, 12:21

Marcus wrote:NoScript, after all these years, still doesn't allow whitelisting of elements on a per site basis;
It does actually, using ABE (since 2009). Blame it on the UI as the option is burried under Advanced options. Also, an average user cannot write ABE rules due to its (cryptic) syntax.

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2017-09-09, 12:57

adesh wrote: Also, an average user cannot write ABE rules due to its (cryptic) syntax.
That's why I, personally, don't consider it a "proper" whitelisting option.
With Ublock you' can do it with 2 clicks on an intuitive interface (once you learn how to use it).

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-09-09, 13:21

Slightly off topic:
Off-topic:
UBlockO
The small yellow "prompts" that appear on the UBO menu prevents me from reading some of the menu items.
Can they be disabled ?
I had to remove UBO because I simply could not read menu items to use it :(
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-09, 16:06

Off-topic:
bawldiggle wrote:The small yellow "prompts" that appear on the UBO menu prevents me from reading some of the menu items.
Can they be disabled ?

You mean this?
uBO-tooltips.png
The underlying tooltips can be turned off in the Settings tab of uBO's dashboard by checking the box for 'Disable tooltips'.
But AFAIK that little item that just says "uBlock Origin" can't be formally turned off. However it can be made to disappear with slight mouse movements, so you get this:
uBO-tooltips2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-09-09, 16:38

gracious1 wrote:
So after reading the thread, "Pale Moon users out of luck?", at the NoScript forums, I see that we are going to have a problem.
Unless the internet (and the way websites are coded with javascript) changes dramatically, it won't be a problem using an older version of NoScript. However, a fork specifically for PM would be nice. (I wish I knew how to do it.)

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2017-09-10, 13:42

Really, uMatrix does most of what NoScript already does, with a much better user interface. If uMatrix had a Clickjacking feature, I wouldn't even use NoScript. Right now I allow scripts globally through NoScript and use uMatrix to block scripts. uMatrix is way more intuitive when you can allow websites on their own domains to present properly, but still block annoyances like the Facebook comments sections on news articles from showing up. I love the interface.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-10, 14:06

helloimustbegoing wrote:However, a fork specifically for PM would be nice. (I wish I knew how to do it.)
Considering it's released under the GPL 2.0, there's no problem forking it.
Also, making a fork of an extension to make it Pale Moon native really isn't that difficult; and you have to start somewhere (if you just throw your hands in the air saying "I don't know" then you'll never learn anything). All it will take is time and the willingness to learn.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-09-10, 14:09

Moonchild wrote:
All it will take is time and the willingness to learn.
Any suggestions on where I can go to learn?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-10, 14:19

helloimustbegoing wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
All it will take is time and the willingness to learn.
Any suggestions on where I can go to learn?
Right here?
Seriously though, looking at how things are done in the extension by examining the code is a good start, using the internet as research resource. Looking at other extensions, "learn by example" and asking pointed questions. Talk to other extension devs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-09-19, 00:31

@ coffeebreak
Off-topic:
Thank you for your reply to my OffTopic question about uBlockO :oops:
I should have thought more about the "theme" of the thread and started a new thread :oops:
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-19, 04:54

bawldiggle wrote:@ coffeebreak
Off-topic:
Thank you for your reply to my OffTopic. . . .
I should have thought more about the "theme" of the thread and started a new thread
Off-topic:
Hey, we all do this. Hope it was helpful. ;)

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-09-19, 08:22

@ Moonchild

I was an extremely competent VBA coder (2003±), addins for MS-Excel and Word, I cut my teeth on WordBasic
- also wrote addins (vba) for AutoCad 2006 until 2008 when my health took a dive with the big-C
- up until my stroke (2015) I was helping on one VBA-Excel forum , it was almost full time.
Lately I have dared to use ResourceHacker to change ICO files in executables ... (experimental) baby steps I know

I have looked at Python, some similarity to VBA and VB (structure)
- the "C" family has me bluffed, although using BBCode (v.basic) in these forums gave me a (microscopic) clue.
  1. To fork a PM incompatible extension would I need source code, or do we reverse engineer (somehow) the original. ?
  2. What language are extensions written in ?
A sub forum for budding "developers" where we could support each other ... ?
- only this week I was looking at a security forum where both development and user inquiries are on one thread ... 3,700+ posts since 2013 ... !
- impossible to learn anything.

My eleven cents worth ... hope I haven't trod on any toes :)

"Nothing changes unless I (we) change" ... my interpretation of an expression in 12 Step programs, like AA
I will have a go at anything
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-09-19, 15:38

bawldiggle wrote:What language are extensions written in ?
Take a look here.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-09-20, 00:17

@ back2themoon :)

Thank you for the link to Mozilla Technologies XUL, the available resources are well laid out, including tutorials and object lists
JScript and the object model are ringing some bells ... all I have to do is brush away some of the cobwebs.

:)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit