Complete YouTube Saver

News and general discussion about extensions.

Moderators: satrow, Indalecio, Andrew Gilbertson, Lootyhoof

Octopuss
Fanatic
Fanatic

Complete YouTube Saver

Postby Octopuss » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Does this work for anyone in PM27? (I didn't try it before) It produces zero byte files no matter the settings.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Complete YouTube Saver

Postby Toa-Nuva » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Yes, the addon does work in PM27 ... And yes, I also have encountered the zero byte file issue several times. I don't know what exactly causes it, but it seems to be depending on the video - in my experience, most videos can be downloaded perfectly fine, but some videos have this zero byte file issue, no matter what quality I try to download.

If you do have a video at hand that exhibits this issue, I guess it might be worth reporting it to the developer. I keep telling myself that I should report it every time I encounter the issue... And then I just forget. :?

Greywool
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Postby Greywool » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:11 pm

PM 27.1.0 x64 on Win7, CYS version 5.7.31.

Tried on this video, Fmt22 and Fmt136 at least downloaded without issues.
But downloading this video, I get 0 byte files, at least on the first couple qualities I tested with, both dash and non-dash.

So yeah... Mileage varies.

back2themoon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby back2themoon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:38 pm

https://www.patreon.com/posts/testing-v5-7-32-8016764

Also, make sure to use the Pale Moon version, not the Firefox one.
Pale Moon Safe Mode: Menu/Help/Restart with Add-ons Disabled
Information to include when asking for support
How to apply user agent overrides

Windows 10 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x86 - FossaMail x86

Octopuss
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Octopuss » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Good, so it's a known problem.
And yes, I do have the PM version.

Is there any way to tell which of the available variants are the default? I don't need already low quality audio to be transcoded and butchered even further :D

back2themoon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby back2themoon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Octopuss wrote:Is there any way to tell which of the available variants are the default? I don't need already low quality audio to be transcoded and butchered even further :D

I don't think there's a 'default', perhaps you mean "highest quality"? There are options in CYS where you can hide the lower audio quality versions.

Octopuss
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Octopuss » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Right, but some of the audio streams are the original ones in the video. I believe most of the download options are converted already.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Toa-Nuva » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:50 pm

AAC, M4A, OGG and OPUS are downloaded without any conversion of the audio stream. (That's what it says in the "Details Menu" tab of the CYS options.)

Davesnothere
Moon lover
Moon lover

Postby Davesnothere » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Octopuss wrote:Does this work for anyone in PM27? (I didn't try it before) It produces zero byte files no matter the settings.

This is also happening to me with CYS in other Moz-based browsers, and in Pale Moon 25.8.0 as well.

YouTube seems to have changed their site's structure around Feb 1st.

Many review posts for similar extensions at AMO say that this has happened, and CYS is not the only extension to fail because of it.

I am watching this page, as well as the AMO and PM add-ons sites, for more word about the next update.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/testing-v5-7-32-8016764

_Poke_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby _Poke_ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:47 am

I haven't used it much recently, but in the past when I had this issue I could usually work around it by restarting the browser.
"The good news is that we are rapidly running out of data for the bad guys to steal." (x)

Greywool
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Postby Greywool » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Grabbed a test version of 5.7.33 from here: https://cys.mantishub.io/view.php?id=115

Tried with a video that was failing before, it seems to work now!
But, test version, potential problems, blah blah. But it's there if you don't have patience to wait for full release.
It probably won't install directly from the link on the page, just download the .xpi and drag'n'drop it onto your PM

back2themoon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby back2themoon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 am

New version released (5.7.34) and should work. I noticed in the Add-ons Manager the small dot has turned orange again.

Davesnothere
Moon lover
Moon lover

Postby Davesnothere » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:04 pm

back2themoon wrote:New version released (5.7.34) and should work. I noticed in the Add-ons Manager the small dot has turned orange again.

I just noticed that the author has issued 3 updates during the past few days, and my tests today of 5.7.34 do confirm that it works with Pale Moon, versions 25.8.0, 27.1.0, and 27.2.x Unstable, all Portable Editions, and all on a computer running Vista SP2.

Also I tested it with SeaMonkey 2.33.1 on the same PC, and it works there too.

When I say that it works, I mean that the button is present on the toolbar, I can drag the button where I want it when in Customize mode, and that ALL zero-byte files encountered recently in earlier versions and with other extensions DO now download properly as 360p and 720p native streams into MP4 files, and without any conversion necessary by FFMPEG.

I did not test any of the conversions, such as DASH files, 480p, nor 1080p.

But what I did find is very encouraging. :D

= = = = =

BTW, I believe that the wee dot being ORANGE is because the author did not include the Pale Moon GUI string in the install.rdf file with this revision.

I have no idea whether this matters, nor whether he did this deliberately, or whether it was an oversight.

His build page offers a version to download for FF and another for PM, and yet they are identical, and neither has the PM GUI string.

Also, the 5.7.34 on the PM add-ons site is that same build, without the PM GUI string, while an earlier not yet fixed version from there did have the string - 5.7.31, IIRC.

My gut feeling is that the PM GUI string was not the problem - Something ELSE in the code was.

Return to “Browser extensions”