Persona on top of full theme?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lord_Brezel

Persona on top of full theme?

Unread post by Lord_Brezel » 2015-09-07, 09:30

I use FT DeepDark as a full theme, which is dark and plain, without images. The layout in terms of spacing is not significantly changed, so personas could optically fit in.
I tried enabling the persona in about:config, while deepdark was on but it didnt have any effect. Still, both themes show as activated in the theme selector.

Is there a trick for that already? Do I need to modify the full theme? Can it be baked into the browser?

solariszero

Re: Persona on top of full theme?

Unread post by solariszero » 2015-09-07, 21:38

I'm curious too to see if this is entirely possible. That sounds pretty neat! :O

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-09-07, 23:27

You can use either Persona Switcher or ThemeTool (linked in this forum) to do this. The vast majority of my themes have been made compatible with personas, so enjoy. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-09, 11:49

In the future, i do plan to split these different types of themes out into two categories, so you can do this right from within the browser. But it'll take quite a bit of reworking how the theming engine front-end works.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-09-09, 14:32

Good new, I expected something along those lines ! :D

Lord_Brezel

Unread post by Lord_Brezel » 2015-09-13, 13:19

Nice MC! Whats your rough estimate when its changing? High or low priority?

Lord_Brezel

Unread post by Lord_Brezel » 2016-05-28, 14:04

Any updates on this?
Have searched through the commit messages but either had the wrong search term or it isnt in yet.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-05-29, 00:32

Lord_Brezel wrote:I use FT DeepDark as a full theme, which is dark and plain, without images. The layout in terms of spacing is not significantly changed, so personas could optically fit in.
I tried enabling the persona in about:config, while deepdark was on but it didnt have any effect. Still, both themes show as activated in the theme selector.

Is there a trick for that already? Do I need to modify the full theme? Can it be baked into the browser?
I had the same request and finally found a solution.

For Pale Moon to work with persona's the only "dark" theme that will allow them is.
Screenshot - 8_28_2016 , 8_58_19 AM.png
Once installed you need.
Screenshot - 5_28_2016 , 5_06_02 PM.png
Once you have these installed, go ahead and install some of the persona's that you want.

Then when you have all that ready, activate Dark Moon. Then use the Persona Switcher to choose the persona you want and walla.

Here is a few shots of what mine looks like with different persona's.
Screenshot - 5_28_2016 , 5_10_59 PM.png
Screenshot - 5_28_2016 , 5_15_12 PM.png
Screenshot - 5_28_2016 , 5_16_03 PM.png
You might notice that after a couple of re-starts that Pale Moon will revert to just
the persona alone, and you have to activate Dark Moon again and then pick the persona again.

After that it will stick, and will stay put. After that you can change persona's any time.

One of the biggest things I like about this set up is that my search bar and address bar are black instead of white and they are transparent a bit.

This allows the picture in the back to show through.

I also use.
Screenshot - 5_28_2016 , 5_20_48 PM.png
Because I couldn't stand the basic button theme that came with Dark Moon.

I have had no problems with this set up and have used it for over 6 months now.

I also found this cool little add on.
Screenshot - 5_28_2016 , 5_24_02 PM.png
This allowed me to change the scroll bars to something a little more appealing.
Screenshot - 5_28_2016 , 5_25_36 PM.png
Anyway, as you can tell I'm a big eye candy guy.

I started this whole adventure with Noia Moon Dark but could not add persona's to it.

I tried all the dark themes and this was the only one that would allow me to do this. Hope it helps. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2016-08-28, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-29, 07:24

Lord_Brezel wrote:Any updates on this?
Have searched through the commit messages but either had the wrong search term or it isnt in yet.
We've had a lot more important things to worry about, so unfortunately this enhancement has been on the back-burner. I don't know when our current team will be able to tackle this one. If anyone else wants to have a look at implementing this inside the browser, they are free to do so :)

If you want to have a jab at this, you'll have to:
  • Make sure the calls to applying the lightweight theme take the "skinnable" property of full themes into account, and refuse to apply the skin if the theme isn't marked skinnable. Parsing of the skinnable attribute is already done in our framework. (see xpiprovider.jsm and xpiproviderutils.js)
  • Make the necessary front-end changes to split out the appearance category into two categories "themes" and "skins"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-05-29, 22:18

For what it's worth: currently none of my themes provide this. ;) (the skinnable property, that is)

I can add it no problem though if someone wants to step up to add this functionality. Until then, I still recommend using Persona Switcher for such things.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-05-30, 09:19

wow the persona switcher worked.Thats great and many thanks to everyone for pointing out how to do this. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2016-08-28, 02:33

Moonchild wrote: If you want to have a jab at this, you'll have to:
  • Make sure the calls to applying the lightweight theme take the "skinnable" property of full themes into account, and refuse to apply the skin if the theme isn't marked skinnable. Parsing of the skinnable attribute is already done in our framework. (see xpiprovider.jsm and xpiproviderutils.js)
  • Make the necessary front-end changes to split out the appearance category into two categories "themes" and "skins"
1. The problem does not appear to be the "skinnable" property of complete themes, whether this property is marked true or false. Instead, the problem appears to be that, when the user tries to enable a light theme/persona on top of a full theme, the full theme add-on is disabled by Pale Moon, and the default Pale Moon theme is enabled instead. The problem seems to occur regardless of whether the full theme is in fact skinnable or non-skinnable. And, regardless of whether or not the full theme is, in fact, even marked skinnable. Currently, the only practical workaround is using the "Persona Switcher" add-on to by-pass the Add-on Manager tab altogether.

The current process works very well to add persona on top of the default theme, in both Firefox and Pale Moon. When the default theme is being used, a new persona or change takes effect immediately, when the enable button of the persona is clicked in add-on manager. Why not extend this same process to other complete themes, so that a new or changed persona does not disable the non-default complete theme (and does not require a browser restart). Similarly, a new, changed, or upgraded complete theme should not disable the current persona, or require re-activation of the persona with a third-party extension or complex manual procedures. (Instead of the browser disabling a persona/light theme because it "may" be incompatible with the new full theme, why not let the user decide. If the user doesn't like the results of the old persona with the new full theme, the user can always choose between disabling the persona or selecting a more compatible full theme).

Instead of using the skinnable property within Pale Moon, perhaps a simple admonition in PMO would suffice, that "Light themes/personnas are not recommended for use with this full theme." Almost all of Pale Moon complete themes appear fully skinnable. So this warning would be needed sparingly.

2. The persona/light theme and the skin/complete theme-- these should remain in the same window or category, as they are currently. Currently, the user can see which light theme is being used with which complete theme, because these two items are grouped together at the top of the Appearance window in add-on manager. Moreover, many users do not distinguish using a persona with the default theme, from only using the default theme, or other full theme, by itself.

3. Note that in current versions of Firefox, the persona/light themes process has changed somewhat and appears preferable to that of Firefox 24 and Pale Moon. The bool preference "lightweightThemes.isThemeSelected" appears no longer used. In its stead, the string preference "lightweightThemes.selectedThemeID" is used. "lightweightThemes.selectedThemeID" is blank when no light theme is selected in Firefox. "lightweightThemes.isThemeSelected" is true when a light theme is active in Pale Moon (false when a light theme is not active). And, both "lightweightThemes.persisted.footerURL" and "lightweightThemes.persisted.headerURL" must be set to false (in about:config) manually to apply a persona/light theme to a full theme.