RedShift Firefox Theme

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

solariszero

RedShift Firefox Theme

Unread post by solariszero » 2015-09-06, 11:57

One of the things I miss the most from early versions of Firefox was using the RedShift theme, especially since I have difficulties with having bright colors on a screen for a long period of time. I know there's a couple of dark themes for Pale Moon, which I'm really pleased to see! I was just wondering if it was possible to fork this to a theme for Pale Moon.

Thank you so much for your consideration in advance! :D

squarefractal

Re: RedShift Firefox Theme

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-09-06, 12:13

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... t-v4/eula/

Code: Select all

Free for personal use without restriction.

Modification/Derived Distributions:
Any distributed works derived from this package must give credit on Mozilla add-on listing for content used. Please respect all of the hard work put into the Shift Themes code base.

All original artwork contained in the Shift Themes (not derived from the Firefox default theme) is considered original work and should not be used without written permission. Any use without permission is a violation of author copyright.

For permission request please e-mail shift.themes@gmail.com

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-09-06, 13:18

Permission will have to be gained, as per above. In addition, this theme seems to be quite old, mainly targeting Firefox 14-15, which will take some effort to port.

In the meantime, I have been considering porting LavaFox. ;)

solariszero

Unread post by solariszero » 2015-09-06, 13:22

--ohh, okay. That's why. I was wondering why I received that reply, but now it makes sense.

I do remember using LavaFox back in the day, so I'd be happy with either one you're porting! Thank you, Lootyhoof!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-09-06, 14:35

It appears that, on closer inspection, LavaFox also will need permission.

I'll get in contact with people.

Lucky Bastard

Unread post by Lucky Bastard » 2015-09-09, 11:32

What can I do to help you get full Lavafox integration? That is my current issue with palemoon. I can help raise money to pay for coders but I need to know that my donation will go directly towards this. I work on alot of peoples computers and they are all used to lavafox. I am trying to integrate them from firefox and if I could install lavafox, the integration would be almost imperceptable. The people I work with are very scared of change, this would help me and palemoon greatly.

Well it would help me ALOT and it would help Palemoon get a foothold in my community, which is rural Minnesota. Not alot of techs out here and my word goes a long way.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-09-09, 14:17

Lucky Bastard wrote:What can I do to help you get full Lavafox integration? That is my current issue with palemoon. I can help raise money to pay for coders but I need to know that my donation will go directly towards this. I work on alot of peoples computers and they are all used to lavafox. I am trying to integrate them from firefox and if I could install lavafox, the integration would be almost imperceptable. The people I work with are very scared of change, this would help me and palemoon greatly.

Well it would help me ALOT and it would help Palemoon get a foothold in my community, which is rural Minnesota. Not alot of techs out here and my word goes a long way.
Nothing can be done currently; I need permission from the original creator, which I've yet to receive.

Lucky Bastard

Unread post by Lucky Bastard » 2015-09-09, 14:59

I am going to send him a direct plea, to switch from developing for mozilla, and start working on themes for palemoon, if I pull this off you owe me some street cred.

Epic fanboy letter sent. I have honestly been a huge fan for years. Hopefully like moonchild he is listening.

solariszero

Unread post by solariszero » 2015-09-10, 21:20

I am really happy to see that there is another person who is as interested as me to have a compatible Redshift/Lavafox theme for Pale Moon. Hopefully he'll return your letter soon!!

Now that I think about it, there is strength in numbers, so I'll send in a letter as well! :D

Lucky Bastard

Unread post by Lucky Bastard » 2015-09-11, 03:54

My letters to Zigboom and others, is basically asking them to come and take a look at the forums and see that there is an active community, there is an interest in there work, and see that instead of a stunted and limiting design process ie: firefox, there is actually room to move and the possibility to have an influence on the future Palemoon. Which as far as I am concerned the best browser around. So I think the more interest that we show, the more likely we are to get their attention.

Also, to Lootyhoof, is it an issue of getting permission to rework his code to work with Palemoon? I am currently checking his webpage for the specific terms of use.

I just found the terms of use, and as I was re-reading this topic I see that it has already been posted. I always skip over quotes as they are usually just quoting another post further up. I almost have Lavafox working the way I want, but I will abide by Zigboom's terms of use until I hear different.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-09-13, 18:33

These are the terms of use for Lavafox. Also note that the authors of Lavafox and RedShift are NOT the same person...

Code: Select all

If you want to use elements out of this theme for private use only there is no need to read further.

-Zigboom-

THEME LICENSE - READ ME - IMPORTANT

This theme contains copyrighted material.  The author of this theme
(Zigboom "zigboom@hotmail.com", the "Author") reserves all applicable rights under
law.  You may not use this theme except in compliance
with the following terms.

TERMS OF USE

You may use this theme on a personal, non-commercial basis only, subject to the following restrictions, and further subject to exceptions listed in following sections. Unless having obtained written permission from the author.

You are prohibited from redistributing this theme.
You are prohibited from redistributing any component file or files of this theme.
You are prohibited from selling this theme.
You are prohibited from selling any component file or files from this theme.
You are prohibited from using this theme in any commercial product.
You are prohibited from using any component file or files of this theme in any commercial product.
You are prohibited from distributing derivative works derived from this theme.
You are prohibited from distributing derivative works derived from any component file or files of this theme.
You are prohibited from selling derivative works derived from this theme.
You are prohibited from selling derivative works derived from any component file or files of this theme.

TEXTUAL SOURCE CODE

In addition to image files, this theme contains file types such as CSS, HTML, XHTML, XML, and the like (hereinafter "Textual Source Code").

In cases when Textual Source Code is copied from and/or derived from the Firefox default theme,
these files are licensed according to the Mozilla Public License Version
1.1 (the "MPL"); you may not use these files except in compliance with
the MPL. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/

In cases where textual source code is an original work of the Author,
these files are copyrighted works of the Author and their use is restricted
as stated in TERMS OF USE above.

Lucky Bastard

Unread post by Lucky Bastard » 2015-09-17, 09:04

I recieved an email from Zigboom designs. Rather than paraphrase I will just post it.

"Hi Lucky :)

Thanks for your feedback!

Interesting .. I heard (good things) about PaleMoon of course, seems that it could work "out of the box".

An older version of the theme may fit better (one from around the time of the split from Firefox).

Did anyone try ? Do you know about any specific problems ?

Best Regards, Zigboom Designs"

I have assured him that the terms of use are posted. I am going to try his suggestion of trying an older version, and I will tell you if it works. But any modifications I do to it I will not post without consent. If anyone else can post thier results it would be helpful. I will update with a link when I find the older versions location.

I have sent an email to Nick C. of Redshift but I have not recieved a reply as of yet.

Update^ I just recieved a response from Nick C. He said he wants to start working on Palemoon. Who can I get these guys in contact with to start working on Palemoon?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-09-22, 18:36

Lucky Bastard wrote:Update^ I just recieved a response from Nick C. He said he wants to start working on Palemoon. Who can I get these guys in contact with to start working on Palemoon?
Feel free to send him my way for some information, unless he wants to figure things out himself. :)

As for getting on the Add-Ons Site, he'd need to contact Tobin.