Lightweight themes as installable files?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Lightweight themes as installable files?

Unread post by loxodont » 2015-05-12, 13:12

While back I started to make my own LW-themes, which I could use as local files thx Personas Plus and the Lightweight Themes Manager. But to share some of them to others I couldn't just make a .xpi file and put it on my site where people can load it. Instead I had to create an AMO account and load them up into the sea of thrillion themes, which would be acceptable, if there wasn't some kind of AMO control over the submissions, where either the AMO controllers reject themes for their reasons or others users complain about copyrights and similar look to their theme. - I don't copy themes of others, but I also don't waste my time with checking if in those thousands possibly any similar themes exist. Moreover I'm not really glad that AMO can decide about the content and their guidelines are rather disneyish IMHO.
So what I want to know is, if I can make my LW-themes installable files without needing AMO to share them. I tried to save themes in LW-Themes Manager, but it only saves the images location info in a .json file. And I tried dozen times with FEBE, but it's constantly freezing up for me.

Any help? TIA

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Lightweight themes as installable files?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-12, 14:03

You can make them installable directly from your website - it only takes some specific javascript to link to the images and settings, and the browser will pick them up.

Tobin, maybe you can give this person a run-down on how to set this up, since you've recently worked with this code?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-12, 14:52

Theoretically (as well as proven in some ill-advised implementations) personas HAVE been applied using a bootstrapped extension as documented on MDN. However, that is just a modification of the same javascript you would use on your site also as documented on MDN.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Themes/Lightweight_themes
(Yes despite the page content virtually being from the gecko/1.9.x / Firefox 3.6 days it is still valid)

You need two images as you would on AMO and you need the javascript to apply them as well as filling in the metadata for each persona. I am still documenting my self all the possible pieces and will update this thread when I have more time.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2015-05-12, 16:17

Many thx for your quick replies :)
I'm already glad there seems to be a way ...

Tobin, no need to hurry with this; first I'll look up the MDN link (again)

greetz