[Release] Various theme ports/forks

Dedicated board for theme releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are a theme author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: [Release] Various theme ports/forks

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-31, 16:47

Lootyhoof wrote:This is now done, and on GitHub. :)
Wow! This is magnificent! :thumbup:

Shouldn't "fork of Noia 4 theme by Aris" be included in theme and extension descriptions?
Last edited by riiis on 2015-03-31, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-03-31, 16:55

Whoops, good point. I've just updated it. No need for version bump, nothing was changed in the theme itself.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-31, 23:14

The highly rated Tangofox theme (version 3.7) runs well on Pale Moon. It uses icons from the open source Tango Desktop Project.
tangofox.jpg
The highly rated Tangerinefox theme (version 3.7) also runs well on Pale Moon and also uses icons from the Tango Desktop Project.
tangerinefox.jpg

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-01, 13:05

These are now both done. :) I've also integrated most of the about:home and PDF.js stylings that were available in the companion addons for both of these, so all you need to do now is apply the extras.css file in the styles folder. Please use this instead of the addons. I've also started a little experiment with these: by default, they only supported Windows. I've let them work on Linux and OS X, though, so I'd really appreciate if users from those platforms would let me know how it runs.

I've also updated Noia Moon to v1.0.1, to change the Firefox icon in Help - About to that of a Pale Moon one.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2015-04-01, 13:32

Lootyhoof wrote:These are now both done.
Thanks for all the work you've been putting in it :thumbup: They are my favourite themes on Windows.

You talk about those themes not being supported on other OSes like Linux -- well, as far as Linux is concerned, one could simply install the Tango icons ;)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-01, 13:37

True, but I thought I'd at least give Linux users the option to install it. I also get the feeling there's a slight misunderstanding in how I worded this - the original Tangofox and Tangerinefox themes didn't support other OSes, but in doing this port I've tweaked them to support both Linux and OS X in addition to Windows.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-01, 15:09

Both Tangomoon and Tangerinemoon work fine in my Linux Mint computer.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-01, 15:11

That's good to know. Thanks! :thumbup:

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-01, 23:41

I use the "SeaMonkey Modern" theme in SeaMonkey. "SeaMonkey Modern" is one of the two themes built into the SeaMonkey browser, rather than having to be installed as an add-on. The "SeaMonkey Modern" theme is very close in appearance to your Past Modern Revisited theme. Is it possible and practicable to update the "Past Modern Revisited" theme, so it's compatible with Pale Moon?
Last edited by riiis on 2015-04-02, 02:04, edited 2 times in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-01, 23:59

It was one of a few I used to maintain, along with Kempelton Reloaded and Kempelton Reloaded Large, when I still did themes for Firefox. I did consider trying to port it over, especially after I did Kempelton Reloaded, but it would take time to do so, and I'm not so sure if it can be done, due to the amount of new icons required in the porting process. I could use the default ones in that case, but then, I don't like having themes only half-done. ;)

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-02, 03:00

@Lootyhoof: you have a really nice set of themes here, but can the latter ones be put up on the addons site? ("You want to use that theme... sure, just clone the repo and zip the files and rename it to *.xpi" isn't something many will be comfortable with.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-04-02, 08:09

I am working on it :P

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-02, 12:18

This is something Tobin has to deal with, so go prod him some more if you want it on there. :P

With regards to getting an XPI from my repos, this is why I have a "releases" folder in each repo, as it has an archive of all the releases I've done. ;) I probably should try using GitHub's "releases" feature at some point, but for now it isn't playing nice with me.

On that note, I've just released v1.0.2 of Compact Moon. Among other things, it removes the "First run" window (it's not really necessary, in my opinion), and removed the donation links in the prefs window. While I'm sure most people would appreciate being able to donate to Ken for making Classic Compact, he's already stated he's not working on it anymore, so that donation wouldn't really go anywhere (plus it was me that did the Pale Moon port anyway, so if you did donate it would, in theory, go toward the Firefox version).

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-02, 13:06

Lootyhoof wrote:I did consider trying to port it over ... but it would take time to do so, and I'm not so sure if it can be done, due to the amount of new icons required in the porting process. I could use the default ones in that case, but then, I don't like having themes only half-done. ;)
Many thanks for your consideration.

Let me pose an alternative theming option. Currently, we have complete themes, which change much of the UI. And, we have light themes, which change the main browser page headers and footers, and a few other things. Can we also have "half themes", which mainly theme the main browser page, and perhaps (but not necessarily) the add-on manager, options, and library pages-- where users spend most of their browsing time? You could even characterize these themes to the user, beforehand, as "half themes" or "partial themes" or "limited themes". Doing so would permit the more efficient porting of older Firefox complete themes-- which may be icon-poor-- while retaining much of the look and feel of these old themes.

Note such add-ons as "Classic Toolbar Buttons" and "Noia Buttons", to some limited extent, already do such alternative theming.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-02, 16:16

Lootyhoof wrote:I've just released v1.0.2 of Compact Moon
I installed v1.0.2 and found the add-new-tab button all the way to the right on the tabbar. All other themes show the add-new-tab button to the immediate right of the last tab.
compactmoon.jpg
I then tried both prior versions of "Compact Moon" and even the original "Classic Compact" theme. All four theme versions have this same issue. And, I don't know if this is a new issue, or I just didn't notice it before.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-02, 16:38

I can't replicate this; works for me. Usually that only happens when you have too many tabs open, as shown by the scroll arrows on the sides. The only thing I could suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling both the theme and options extension, to see if it does it when it's completely clean.
riiis wrote:
Lootyhoof wrote:I did consider trying to port it over ... but it would take time to do so, and I'm not so sure if it can be done, due to the amount of new icons required in the porting process. I could use the default ones in that case, but then, I don't like having themes only half-done. ;)
Many thanks for your consideration.

Let me pose an alternative theming option. Currently, we have complete themes, which change much of the UI. And, we have light themes, which change the main browser page headers and footers, and a few other things. Can we also have "half themes", which mainly theme the main browser page, and perhaps (but not necessarily) the add-on manager, options, and library pages-- where users spend most of their browsing time? You could even characterize these themes to the user, beforehand, as "half themes" or "partial themes" or "limited themes". Doing so would permit the more efficient porting of older Firefox complete themes-- which may be icon-poor-- while retaining much of the look and feel of these old themes.

Note such add-ons as "Classic Toolbar Buttons" and "Noia Buttons", to some limited extent, already do such alternative theming.
It would probably be easier in this case to port the entire theme and just use default icons where required, as if it were done in the style of CTB/NB it would just switch the icons used on the toolbar. All I'll say is, never say never. ;)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-02, 17:30

In any case, I notice the titlebar position is off for you in that screenshot; I've pushed v1.0.3 to fix that. This also reminded me that reinheit needed that fix, too, so I've pushed v1.0.2 for that, which should also hopefully fix the menubar issue you had.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-02, 19:43

The browser menu in reinheit, when opened using the alt-key, is now readable in Atom/winXP. However, hovering over a menu item, or selecting a menu item, does not change the tab background or text color of the selected item.
rein.jpg
rein.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Also, the reinheit button, to open a new tab, has moved all the way to the right side of the tabbar (the same as for the Custom Moon theme). And, like the Custom Moon theme and extension, completely uninstalling reinheit, then reinstalling the prior version, does not fix this issue. So, it looks like whatever is going on is corrupting not only the current updated version of the theme, but also prior versions which once worked properly.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-04-02, 19:53

Can you try these again with a clean profile, just to be sure? It all works fine for me, which is odd. I've not even changed anything in how I pack them or anything related to the new tab code.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-02, 21:37

Lootyhoof wrote:Can you try these again with a clean profile, just to be sure? It all works fine for me, which is odd. I've not even changed anything in how I pack them or anything related to the new tab code.
Using a clean profile, both themes installed and ran without issues. The "Open a new tab" buttons, in both themes, are now in their proper place, to the immediate right of the last tab.

It's fortunate I made a profile backup, just a few days ago using the Pale Moon profile backup tool (even though I never expected to need the backup). :D After restore, all is still well (although I did remove these two themes completely, before installing the latest version, just in case).

Thanks for the help, and for the increasing number of outstanding themes. :thumbup: