[Release] Various theme ports/forks

Dedicated board for theme releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are a theme author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
TechnoLurker
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: [Release] Various theme ports/forks

Unread post by TechnoLurker » 2017-03-08, 17:27

White Moon download animations work fine on 27.1.2 Pale Moon (x64) on Win10 x64 as well.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-08, 17:35

TechnoLurker wrote:White Moon download animations work fine on 27.1.2 Pale Moon (x64) on Win10 x64 as well.
Thanks for the confirmation. :thumbup:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-23, 22:12

Both Tangomoon and Tangerinemoon have been updated to v2.0.0! This is a major release, and somewhat of an experiment also. In this release, both of these themes now rely entirely on the default themes for each platform, reducing compatibility issues across all platforms. This means that both these themes are now much more compatible with Linux and notably macOS!

Both of these also include an additional customisation feature: the use of CSS variables. What these can do is, for where the variables have been applied in the styling, mean you can just change the variables to drastically change the theme. For example, the following:

Code: Select all

:root {
  --tab-selected-background: red;
  --tab-background: linear-gradient(rgb(245, 26, 38), blue);
  --toolbar-highlight-top: green;
  --toolbar-highlight-bottom: blue;
}
Would produce this:

Or, if you wanted a more simple change:

:root {
  --toolbar-custom-color: aquamarine;
}

I've tried to pack in many variables to account for all sorts of customisation purposes, though some are more for internal purposes (which is why some will appear more useful than others) - see below:

--forward-button-transition

--navbar-textbox-custom-border

--tab-background
--tab-hover-background
--tab-selected-background
--tab-selected-highlight

--toolbar-custom-color
--toolbar-highlight-top
--toolbar-highlight-bottom
--toolbar-shadow-color

--toolbarbutton-backgroundcolor
--toolbarbutton-active-backgroundcolor
--toolbarbutton-hover-backgroundimage
--toolbarbutton-bordercolor
--toolbarbutton-hover-bordercolor
--toolbarbutton-active-bordercolor
--toolbarbutton-borderradius

I would love for people to have an experiment with these and see how well they work - if people like this enough, I may add this to my other themes. The same goes for the way these themes now use platform styling. The future of these themes is in your hands!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-04-08, 22:31

Littlemoon, MicroMoon, Nauticalia, and Walnutty have been updated, to fix about:home branding.

This is primarily used for my new extension Home Styler, which is based off About Home Themer by Alfred Kayser (also the original author of the above themes). In the future I will add compatibility to other themes, though for now only the above, and Tangomoon and Tangerinemoon, are supported.

Enjoy! :)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-04-16, 18:24

White Moon has been updated to v2.0.0! This is a major release, designed to finally unify platform stylings for Windows, macOS and Linux. All three are supported! :thumbup:

Among various other icon changes to make the whole theme feel more consistent, this update also makes your about:home look great, thanks to Home Styler:

What's new?
- add about:home styling for Home Styler
- add theme-native icons for statusbar options window
- make dialog icons consistent with other icons
- use theme-native print preview window and icon stylings
- add theme-native directory listing icons
- make about: pages be consistent with the network error page styling
- add new SSL warning icon
- use new blacklisted site icon
- unify platform stylings
- add new padlock icons
- add new activity monitor icons
- adjust tab corners
- cleanup

Note that CSS variables are not used in this theme just yet, as I am still evaluating this technology.

Enjoy! :)

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-04-20, 03:37

Lootyhoof, I've been playing around with other themes and I believe this is still a bug in your themes: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8735&start=40#p108509. However, not just yours as you can see Moonscape. So maybe it's a bug within the browser? See Below:
Troubleshooting Themes.jpg
The above 3 shots is of the Default theme for Pale Moon, below shots are Moonscape. Now, if you can't tell, the "Learn more..." text is duplicated and only one link works.

And yes, I've tested with a clean profile. Same results.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-04-20, 09:35

I checked and compared it to the base theme and apparently, we're missing these lines in the notification.css in the global folder.

.popup-notification-learnmore-link:not([href]) {
  display: none;
}
I tried adding these lines into the notification.css and it's already gone.
(this line kind of hides the learn more link when there's no assigned link, hence :not([href] )

Yeah, it's a bug with the theme. ;)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-04-20, 12:09

FranklinDM wrote:I checked and compared it to the base theme and apparently, we're missing these lines in the notification.css in the global folder.

.popup-notification-learnmore-link:not([href]) {
  display: none;
}
I tried adding these lines into the notification.css and it's already gone.
(this line kind of hides the learn more link when there's no assigned link, hence :not([href] )

Yeah, it's a bug with the theme. ;)
Aha, thanks for that. I'd been wondering where this lived.

I'll work on this as I find time to do so.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-04-26, 21:27

reinheit has been updated to v2.0.0! This is a major update, adding several new icons and cleaning up a large amount of the codebase (for a total of ~50% reduction in filesize!). This might as well be named the year of big changes at the rate I'm releasing new major versions, heh... :P

What's new?
- add new icons for desktop notifications
- add new icons for mixed content blocking
- add new icons for mouse pointer locking
- add new private browsing indicator icon
- redesign desktop notifications
- fix about page styling
- unify platform stylings
- sync plugins UI with default
- fix learn more links in popup notifications
- fix print preview arrows
- add imagedocument.png for when viewing standalone images
- major cleanup (filesize reduced by ~50%!)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-04-29, 20:35

Littlemoon, MicroMoon and Nauticalia have been updated.

What's new?
- fix learn more links in popup notifications
- add image document favicon for when viewing standalone images

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-07, 15:32

Qute Large and Qute Legacy have been updated to v2.0.0! In this release, basic macOS support has been added, so now our Mac friends can enjoy Qute as much as we already do. It also adds several new icons (replacing default icons) in both, and fixes icons otherwise. Support for Home Styler (about:home) has been added.

Detailed changes are included in the changelog on GitHub, however in general what is new:
- merge in macOS styling (basic macOS support)
- add image document favicon for viewing standalone images
- make the security popup padlock icon more theme-native
- make the unified reload-stop-go controls more theme-native
- remove redundant Social API components
- sync notification popup styling with default
- sync permissions manager styling with default
- sync devtools styling with default
- allow extensions to style their own toolbarbutton-badge
- fix tab close icon mapping
- provide smaller toolbar image for extension compatibility
- improve appmenu appearance on Linux

TechnoLurker
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by TechnoLurker » 2017-05-11, 13:34

Love all the themes and theme updates. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-11, 21:23

I'm happy to announce the availability of Qute4PM v2.0.0! This version, in addition to having Mac support, also now has HiDPI-capable toolbar images, re-built from their original source vectors (where possible). Now even higher density displays can see Qute in the same way standard displays do!

What's new?
- merge in macOS styling (basic macOS support)
- add HiDPI-capable toolbar images
- add new hover/click/disabled states for all icons (including most extension icons)
- add image document favicon for viewing standalone images
- remove redundant Social API components
- improve private browsing indicator styling
- add new download notification icons
- improve library toolbar appearance
- sync about:support styling with default
- sync notification popup styling with default
- sync permissions manager styling with default
- sync devtools styling with default
- allow extensions to style their own toolbarbutton-badge
- fix tab close icon mapping
- fix learn more links in notification popups
- provide smaller toolbar image for extension compatibility
- improve appmenu appearance on Linux
- cleanup of redundant files/icons

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-05-17, 12:36

Hi Lootyhoof,

thanks for the ver. 2.0 update of White Moon. It looks great, but there is still some room for improvement. My proposals would be as follows:

1) When tabs are set to be on top there is zero space between the tabs and the upper edge of the display. In OS X the menu bar appears when you reach the upper edge of the display with the cursor, hence why the menu bar almost always pops in when I try to change tabs. I suggest you insert some space between the upper edge of the display and the tabs, in order to prevent this behavior.
2) In the Mac version of Firefox the tabs appear right next to the close/minimize/maximize button at the top left corner of the screen when the browser is not in fullscreen mode and the title bar is deactivated. This looks nicer than always having the tabs below the title bar, and fits better into the overall design of the OS.
3) The title bar still isn't covered by the theme at all. But this has already been brought up before, and can't be fixed as of now it seems.

This picture of Firefox for Mac should give you an idea of what I mean by my first and second point: https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/u ... ca023b.png
You see:
- the tabs are next to the close/minimize/maximize buttons at the top left corner
- there is some space between the tabs and the upper edge of the display

Hope these suggestions are taken into consideration. They could apply to all Mac-compatible themes.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-17, 12:59

Pale as the Moon wrote:1) When tabs are set to be on top there is zero space between the tabs and the upper edge of the display. In OS X the menu bar appears when you reach the upper edge of the display with the cursor, hence why the menu bar almost always pops in when I try to change tabs. I suggest you insert some space between the upper edge of the display and the tabs, in order to prevent this behavior.
Having tabs at the top applies to Fitt's Law, and considering there is still plenty of space to click tabs (and you'd need to position the cursor just below the top anyway if this were implemented) I see no reason to change this. Or does this apply when clicking any part of the tab?
Pale as the Moon wrote:2) In the Mac version of Firefox the tabs appear right next to the close/minimize/maximize button at the top left corner of the screen when the browser is not in fullscreen mode and the title bar is deactivated. This looks nicer than always having the tabs below the title bar, and fits better into the overall design of the OS.
3) The title bar still isn't covered by the theme at all. But this has already been brought up before, and can't be fixed as of now it seems.
We can't draw in the titlebar, period. These points are not possible.

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-05-17, 13:30

Lootyhoof wrote: Having tabs at the top applies to Fitt's Law, and considering there is still plenty of space to click tabs (and you'd need to position the cursor just below the top anyway if this were implemented) I see no reason to change this. Or does this apply when clicking any part of the tab?
It does not "always" happen. However, you have to click on the tabs very carefully in order to prevent the menu bar from popping up. It is somewhat annoying. The tabs are not THAT thick, you know... I mean, there is a reason why the Firefox devs decided to leave some space in between. Please consider it. A few pixels lost are better than almost always accidentally getting into the menu bar.

Here is a bug I have noticed when using White Moon additionally:
There is a new bug which has come to my attention lately and should be added to the list:

- Sometimes bookmark icons/favicons in the bookmarks bar are getting blown up to huge sizes. The sizes vary but can reach dimensions up to 20 times the size of the original icon. The process seems to be random and it happens with both new and old bookmarks. Does not happen with current Firefox 53.0.2 if that helps.

Pale Moon 27.2.1, OS X 10.11.6

Edit: The last bug I reported (bookmark icons/favicons blowing up to huge sizes) seems to be theme-related. When deactivating White Moon 2.0 the bug disappears. I'll report it in the forum section debating themes.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-17, 20:26

Pale as the Moon wrote:
Lootyhoof wrote: Having tabs at the top applies to Fitt's Law, and considering there is still plenty of space to click tabs (and you'd need to position the cursor just below the top anyway if this were implemented) I see no reason to change this. Or does this apply when clicking any part of the tab?
It does not "always" happen. However, you have to click on the tabs very carefully in order to prevent the menu bar from popping up. It is somewhat annoying. The tabs are not THAT thick, you know... I mean, there is a reason why the Firefox devs decided to leave some space in between. Please consider it. A few pixels lost are better than almost always accidentally getting into the menu bar.
From a quick test this appears to be in "full screen mode" (don't agree with how Apple changed the expand button IMO, but...), and specifically the topmost line of pixels. All other targets don't bring the system menu up.

In all honesty this could happen in any event, as it's instinctual to point the cursor to the very top of the screen for tab controls and whatnot if they're nearly on top anyway, so I'd imagine this will happen regardless. There is plenty of space to click a tab outside of the topmost pixel, too.

The approach Mozilla has taken is because it's not possible to take tabs off the top in Firefox now. Honestly, if you're using full screen mode, I would actually recommend turning off tabs-on-top to prevent habits like this. There is a good reason Apple's own browser, Safari, still doesn't adopt tabs-on-top.
Pale as the Moon wrote: There is a new bug which has come to my attention lately and should be added to the list:

- Sometimes bookmark icons/favicons in the bookmarks bar are getting blown up to huge sizes. The sizes vary but can reach dimensions up to 20 times the size of the original icon. The process seems to be random and it happens with both new and old bookmarks. Does not happen with current Firefox 53.0.2 if that helps.

Pale Moon 27.2.1, OS X 10.11.6

Edit: The last bug I reported (bookmark icons/favicons blowing up to huge sizes) seems to be theme-related. When deactivating White Moon 2.0 the bug disappears. I'll report it in the forum section debating themes.
Do you have an example of such a site (that you've added as a bookmark)?

Mitchblue

Unread post by Mitchblue » 2017-05-18, 09:26

I started to use Pale Moon for one reason, at least at the start, DarkPitch. I love this theme. Thank you..

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-19, 23:05

Mitchblue wrote:I started to use Pale Moon for one reason, at least at the start, DarkPitch. I love this theme. Thank you..
No problem. :thumbup: Thanks for the support!

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-05-20, 10:15

Lootyhoof wrote:Do you have an example of such a site (that you've added as a bookmark)?
Again, the process appears to be random, as it happens with both old and new as well as imported and native bookmarks. I could give you some examples, but apparently this regression could happen with any bookmark having an icon/favicon. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Happens with White Moon ver. 2.0 on both an iMac (OS X 10.11.6, Pale Moon 27.2.1) and a MacBook Pro (OS X 10.11.6, Pale Moon 27.2.1).

Reverting back to White Moon ver. 1.6.4 fixes this issue, as well as reverting back to the default theme. The bug has to be in White Moon ver. 2.0.