[Release] Various theme ports/forks

Dedicated board for theme releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are a theme author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
Weboh
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: [Release] Various theme ports/forks

Unread post by Weboh » 2017-02-21, 18:02

Lootyhoof wrote:Unfortunately, the licensing on this theme also prevents such edits. You'd have to hope the author makes a port of it if you want it to survive, I'm afraid.
It does? It looks like it uses Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 which states
The Initial Developer hereby grants You a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license subject to third party intellectual property claims
under intellectual property rights (other than patent or trademark) Licensable by Initial Developer to use, reproduce, modify, display, perform, sublicense and distribute the Original Code (or portions thereof) with or without Modifications, and/or as part of a Larger Work; and
under Patents Claims infringed by the making, using or selling of Original Code, to make, have made, use, practice, sell, and offer for sale, and/or otherwise dispose of the Original Code (or portions thereof).
I'll admit I'm not very fluent in legalese, but it looks like we can modify the theme and redistribute it—even selling the modified version if we really wanted to. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Maybe the "subject to third party intellectual property claims" means we can do whatever we want with it unless he sues us? :wtf: Legalese, man.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-02-21, 19:20

Inside the XPI itself is a file named COPYRIGHT.txt (email modified to help avoid spam):

Code: Select all

All Red Cats (blue flavor) images were created by and are copyright of
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat and may not be used or modified in any way.

RedFatLazyCat [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.bluecatsgraphics.com/

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-22, 02:43

I think WebOh is right. The source code is released under the Mozilla Public License !]1.1 as stated on the Mozilla add-ons site, and the license, which you can read for yourself, gives you the right to modify the code and distribute it as long as you provide the same license.

The copyright statement with regard to the images is to prevent someone from, for example, taking some of the buttons and putting them on a T-shirt.
(insert hilarious t-shirt caption here)
You wouldn't need to modify the images to modify the source code necessarily.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-02-22, 03:18

Except that that copyright file explicitly says that the images "may not be used or modified in any way." If it simply said that the images may not be modified, then the code could be modified and distributed along with their unmodified images. Since they explicitly say that the images may neither be used nor modified, then distributing the modified code along with using their unmodified images is still a violation of their terms.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

dlangton

Unread post by dlangton » 2017-02-23, 05:10

I was wondering who made the LittleMoon, MicroMoon, Nauticalia, and Walnutty themes? They're very similar to Firefox themes, If so, it would be nice to have the complete set - including Walnut 2, Bricks, and Metal. Both Bricks and Metal for Firefox install fine in Pale Moon using older versions, but the URL bar is missing. I've tried modifying, but have no idea what I'm doing.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-23, 19:38

Respectfully, I disagree with the restrictive interpretation, but to be sure I will write the author (when I get a spare moment) to ask if s/he would mind if anyone ported the Red Cats themes to Pale Moon.

I notice over at MozillaZine, however, people remarking that the author has not made an appearance in months and months, so I am not sure if this will do any good. C'est la vie.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-02-23, 23:02

Maxi3 and Maxi4 have been updated to v1.6.0! This release (hopefully!) improves Linux support, and generally makes them look much better on that platform.

What's new?
- Linux: add more OS-native global styling
- Linux: make tab bar more system-native
- Linux: add hamburger appmenu icon
- allow extensions to style their own toolbarbutton-badges
- sync devtools styling with default
dlangton wrote:I was wondering who made the LittleMoon, MicroMoon, Nauticalia, and Walnutty themes? They're very similar to Firefox themes, If so, it would be nice to have the complete set - including Walnut 2, Bricks, and Metal. Both Bricks and Metal for Firefox install fine in Pale Moon using older versions, but the URL bar is missing. I've tried modifying, but have no idea what I'm doing.
That would be me (they technically ARE the Firefox themes you know, just with added Pale Moon compatibility). I've unfortunately not the time to take any more of these on (and to be honest was semi-reluctant with Walnutty...), however all except Walnutty should be fully compatible with personas, using Persona Switcher, so you can add any texture you like (to the main browser window, at least).

Bradmph

Unread post by Bradmph » 2017-02-26, 23:08

I guess this is what I need to do to release all the themes I have created that are sitting in Firefox. If they need to be forwarded to here, just let me know and I can make a pile for Pale Moon.

With that said,
I release all the themes I have made under my Firefox user name Ɽ£₡ ♥† aka: Bradmph for Pale Moon. If further work is required for release & information,, just let me know.

PaleMoon_theme.jpg

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-02-26, 23:39

Bradmph wrote:I guess this is what I need to do to release all the themes I have created that are sitting in Firefox. If they need to be forwarded to here, just let me know and I can make a pile for Pale Moon.

With that said,
I release all the themes I have made under my Firefox user name Ɽ£₡ ♥† aka: Bradmph for Pale Moon. If further work is required for release & information,, just let me know.

:thumbup:
Thanks, though it appears your themes are in fact lightweight themes (personas), which work out of the box on Pale Moon, with no modification required. :thumbup:

TechnoLurker
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by TechnoLurker » 2017-03-01, 16:26

Question about White Moon theme. I noticed that the download animations (downloading and the finish notification animation) don't seem to work like they do in other themes like PMOpera. Is this intentional?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-02, 17:16

The only thing that should be different is that the icon used for the animation is not the same as the icon on the toolbar button (as designed).

Is there something else amiss?

TechnoLurker
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by TechnoLurker » 2017-03-02, 17:30

On both Win7 Ultimate (x64) (work machine) and Win10 Pro (x64) (my home machine) there is no animation for the download or for a finished download. I keep having to check the downloads window to make sure I clicked something to download. If I go to PMOpera or the default, the download animation works fine (little arrow going up to the icon).

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-04, 01:15

Confirmed, I've just pushed v1.6.2 which should fix this.

Thanks for the report! :thumbup:

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2017-03-04, 02:16

The White Moon theme brings its own tab width rules. Could this be fixed just like it was done with Dark Moon theme?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-04, 22:19

wost_ wrote:The White Moon theme brings its own tab width rules. Could this be fixed just like it was done with Dark Moon theme?
Thanks, I've pushed v1.6.3 to fix the issue.

I've also updated XMoon to v1.5.1 to fix the same download animation issue as White Moon.

I also pushed some minor updates for Tangomoon, Tangerinemoon and reinheit, which sync a few devtools stylings with the default theme, and allow extensions to style their own toolbarbutton-badge.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2017-03-05, 01:47

Thank you. Works fine with tabs on top.

However, with tabs on bottom, when scrolling arrows appear the tabbar becomes a little bit broken. Screenshot taken on a clean profile. Some unexpected side effect I suppose. :D
Untitled 1.jpg

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-05, 02:21

wost_ wrote:Thank you. Works fine with tabs on top.

However, with tabs on bottom, when scrolling arrows appear the tabbar becomes a little bit broken. Screenshot taken on a clean profile. Some unexpected side effect I suppose. :D
Untitled 1.jpg
Odd... I take it that's the new tab button? Shouldn't have affected that, but... I'll look into it. :thumbup:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-05, 19:13

White Moon has been updated to v1.6.4.

What's new?
- use more inverted icons where appropriate
- use new icons for download buttons

TechnoLurker
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by TechnoLurker » 2017-03-06, 16:16

Animations work on White Moon Win7 x64 (haven't updated my home machine yet)! Looks good. Thanks!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-07, 21:40

Moonfox3 has been updated to v1.5.1. Aeromoon has also been updated, to v1.4.2.

What's new?
- provide icon for visited livemarks
- sync devtools styling with default
- style toolbarbutton-badge and allow extensions to style it
- reference download icons correctly
- add border to download items