Theme Font & Size Changer

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lance1965

Theme Font & Size Changer

Unread post by Lance1965 » 2012-05-01, 01:59

There is a glitch with this addon and Pale Moon. You can change the fonts no problem but when changing colors, the url in the address bar looks all jumbled, making it unreadable and ugly. The bookmarks and everything else is fine but the address bar turns into a jumbled mess. I am using the Lava-Fox V2 theme if that has something to do with it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Theme Font & Size Changer

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-01, 10:09

The address bar is quite a complex piece of code that you can't just hack away at and expect it all to keep working properly. You might want to take this up with the add-on developer and see if they can come up with a solution.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lance1965

Unread post by Lance1965 » 2012-05-01, 16:01

Moonchild wrote:The address bar is quite a complex piece of code that you can't just hack away at and expect it all to keep working properly. You might want to take this up with the add-on developer and see if they can come up with a solution.

Yes I did send him a message but like a lot of addon developers, he is not too good at responding to questions which is why I thought I would mention it here. It is not a big deal, just irritating.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-01, 17:15

Lance1965 wrote:Yes I did send him a message but like a lot of addon developers, he is not too good at responding to questions which is why I thought I would mention it here. It is not a big deal, just irritating.
Well, the add-on developers are most likely doing this in their spare time, including the support for it. Not unlike me, actually. ;)
Although I'm starting to think that I need to really start scheduling development time in for Pale Moon next to my day job. Unfortunately it doesn't really pay bills so I can only put in as much time as I can to continue development and support without it endangering my livelihood.

That in mind, you understand that posting things here about add-on incompatibilities (99% of the time a fix needed in the add-on, not the browser) might really not get you any meaningful response and certainly not get any add-on fixes implemented quicker. Unless the add-on is open source and you find someone else who can work on it, you'll just have to be patient.
The core of the browser is complex enough to maintain already without having to examine add-on code on the side.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Ken Saunders

Unread post by Ken Saunders » 2012-05-05, 17:00

@Lance1965

I'm a contributor to Theme Font & Size Changer and a Mozilla Add-ons developer.

I was just going to add a simple reply to your review for Theme Font & Size Changer stating how unfair of you that it is to give our add-on such a poor rating and review based solely on the fact that it doesn't work with a forked version of Firefox, but I decided to do a little research first.

For the record, Theme Font & Size Changer does work fine with Lava-Fox V2 in Firefox.
Why you're having issues with the two combined in Pale Moon is beyond me.

Theme Font & Size Changer is compatible with Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey and it takes a lot of time and effort to keep it working smoothly with those 3, different fluid (frequently changing) products.

Both the lead developer and I have a lot of other add-ons to maintain as well as Theme Font & Size Changer and in addition to all of our other work and offline responsibilities. Despite that, we prioritize our add-ons. If something isn't working correctly, we do our best to fix it quickly.

Our add-on development work is all done free of charge and we do not even ask for contributions for Theme Font & Size Changer. We do what we do to help others, period.
Lance1965 wrote:Yes I did send him a message but like a lot of addon developers, he is not too good at responding to questions which is why I thought I would mention it here. It is not a big deal, just irritating.
You left your review or "message" on May 1st, you wrote this here on May 1st, today is only May 5th. I think you're being unreasonable and I personally don't know too many developers that would reply at all to "Sad to see this isn't being maintained for Pale Moon." on the Firefox add-ons site. You're also lowering the overall rating for add-ons with such a negative inappropriate rating. Most developers would have your review removed.

Theme Font & Size Changer is licensed under GNU General Public License, version 3.0 so anyone is welcome to use it and try and get it working with Pale Moon or any other project and i hope that someone can get it working with Pale Moon so that Pale Moon users can benefit from it. Perhaps it already works fine with the default theme, I don't know.

Finally, and the main reason why I've taken the time to register here, write all of this, and the time spent doing a little research is I'm hoping that you can learn to be a bit nicer and more respectful to developers in general, and not just add-on ones.
Coding is really intense, time consuming and sometimes difficult work. Especially for someone like me who's learned it hands on, on my own, and I'm far from an expert at anything. I'm still a newbie.
Grab any add-on, open it, and make it do what you want. It isn't easy, especially when you know nothing. That's my story. That's how I started. Same with web development.

People like myself, Moonchild, Baris Derin, and Mozilla, do what we do to offer people a better something. Not for monetary compensation, not for fame, and more often than not, we do something to make things work better for our needs that isn't provided by default and think that others may benefit from it too, so we share it in the form of an add-on, a fork, or new software altogether.

If my time spent here today can persuade just you to be more empathetic and refrain from such comments to developers as,
"A total disaster, look like someone vomited on my screen. doesn't work my extensions anyway. Nice try but this is terrible."
and
"I have to say i have never seen a more ugly looking theme on these pages."
and
"You cant get much more ugly than this,i mean this theme is a mess."
then perhaps someday you can pay it forward.

Lance1965

Unread post by Lance1965 » 2012-05-05, 17:32

Sorry I changed my review. By the way you won't find a more supportive person for people who make addons and themes that I like. I donated hundreds of dollars over the years to the makers of these themes and addons. You make me sound like I am such a horrible person. Sorry you take things so personally. By the way I did some research into the addon and Pale Moon and the addon worked fine up to just a few versions ago. Something in one of the Theme Font & Size Changer updates changed things. I have changed nothing on my system. I am using the same theme, same addons, haven't changed anything. From visiting a few forums, I see I am not alone with this problem. At least font changes still work fine.

PS - I love Pale Moon and I wont go back to the standard Firefox just for one addon/extension so I hope the problem eventually gets fixed.

Ken Saunders

Unread post by Ken Saunders » 2012-05-06, 03:39

Lance1965 wrote:You make me sound like I am such a horrible person.
I don't feel that way at all and don't believe that I implied that.
Lance1965 wrote:Sorry you take things so personally.
I haven't taken anything personally at all. You giving a negative review for an add-on that was never tested on, nor ever intended to be used with the product that you're using it with isn't any different than a personal leaving a negative review because it doesn't work with Opera, IE, or Chrome even though Pale Moon is Mozilla powered.
Theme Font & Size Changer does work, and work well with the software that we intended it to be used with. It has even been a featured Mozilla add-on.

Now I'm a very fair guy, so, I downloaded Pale Moon, installed Theme Font & Size Changer (latest version 5.1) and it works flawlessly.
I took it a step further and installed LavaFox V2 changed the text color and yes, the urlbar text looks like crap. Why? No clue.

I tried to troubleshoot it for you/other Pale Moon users, but I couldn't figure it out right now.
I thought perhaps it had to do with domain highlighting, but it didn't.
I just don't have the time.

This issue does not happen in Firefox with the same theme and add-ons.
The one issue that I noticed with the urlbar in Firefox was that its height appears to be reduced, but that is the styling of the theme's developer and that can be remedied with some simple CSS.

Screenshots
http://www.accessfirefox.org/pm-tmp.php

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-06, 08:32

@Ken, Please don't spend any more time on this. This is an edge case for using the Theme font&size changer + the specific theme + the address bar overlay that Pale Moon uses for it's status indicator options (that aren't present in Firefox). This combination simply doesn't work.
@Lance: try forcing XBL binding in the Pale Moon status bar options -> advanced, see if that helps. If not, I'm sorry but you'll just have to accept that it doesn't work for that particular theme.

Lance1965

Unread post by Lance1965 » 2012-05-10, 04:27

I stumbled up on a fix, you have to set status alignment to left and bang, no more jumbled letters. The fix was right under my nose the whole time but never realized it. Thanks guys for your help especially Moonchild, without the hint on status bar options I would have never thought of going there.

I will post this fix on a few sites as I have heard from a few people that are having the same problem as I was. :D