Is it worth using a theme?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Is it worth using a theme?

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-06-07, 04:14

One of the problems that other web browsers (and other programs) often possess in this area is having really good themes stop being actively maintained, and then become unusable in newer versions of that browser (or what have you).

Are there any themes that are simply so good that the possibility of them becoming unusable with later versions of Pale Moon is worth the risk?

Unlike many simple add-ons, themes are merely eye-candy for a user. They aren't necessary at all, really, and some people might even switch between two or more themes over the course of a few years.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

CharmCityCrab

Re: Is it worth using a theme?

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-06-07, 05:45

I have found that UI has played a big role in my choice of browsers over the years. I wouldn't say that theming is essential as such, but some way to get the browser to a UI I like is, and theming is one tool that can aid me on that quest.

LootyHoof is pretty good at keeping his themes current and working with the latest version of PM.

If a browser doesn't offer themes, built-in options for customization through the GUI, and/or something like about:config for when the first two are missing or aren't enough; it is left in the position of having to basically "ship" a UI I like out of the box as its default to be something I'll consider on PC, and I can't think of one web browser that does these days. Everything at minimum has some options I need to change.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-06-07, 07:07

CharmCityCrab wrote:
2019-06-07, 05:45
I have found that UI has played a big role in my choice of browsers over the years.
I agree, but for me the basic UI tends to be the most important in this regard. Pale Moon's basic UI is pretty good, in my opinion, and although I would certainly customise the interface to death if I knew that it would stay that way (unless I chose to change it) for many years to come, I know that the odds are good that that will not come to pass. Plus, I think that Moonchild is usually pretty good at determining what changes are best for the browser, and any changes that he introduces that I don't care for or that don't interest me, are usually unintrusive. For instance, the "Pale Moon Sync" stuff does not interest me in the slightest, as I don't use smart devices (I did for a time, but that was years ago), but it's not in the way, nor is it present as an eyesore on the screen when I'm browsing.
CharmCityCrab wrote:
LootyHoof is pretty good at keeping his themes current and working with the latest version of PM.
I'll have to check those themes out, then.
CharmCityCrab wrote:
Everything at minimum has some options I need to change.
This is usually the case for me as well (or, rather "some options that I want to change"). It was that way when I first used Pale Moon, actually. I decided when I saw the option (because I check the options and configuration stuff when I first use a web browser or a program of that sort) to disable the "Pale Moon button" dingus that would put in a menu bar instead that I would enable that option [or disable an already enabled option? I don't really remember], for instance.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-07, 07:47

Ryan (Lootyhoof) has been doing Pale Moon themes for five years and now has over 30 of them. He keeps them all updated.

FranklinDM also has a number of themes that he keeps updated so nearly all of them aren't at any real risk of being abandoned.

Of note, both comprise the Pale Moon Add-ons Team.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2019-06-07, 11:34

Tharthan wrote:
2019-06-07, 04:14
One of the problems that other web browsers (and other programs) often possess in this area is having really good themes stop being actively maintained, and then become unusable in newer versions of that browser (or what have you).

Are there any themes that are simply so good that the possibility of them becoming unusable with later versions of Pale Moon is worth the risk?

Unlike many simple add-ons, themes are merely eye-candy for a user. They aren't necessary at all, really, and some people might even switch between two or more themes over the course of a few years.
"Default Theme" is a theme as well ;)