WebExtensions Themes Trouble

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ChelonianEgghead

WebExtensions Themes Trouble

Unread post by ChelonianEgghead » 2019-04-11, 21:38

Seriously, why did these jerks at No-zilla have to change even personas to use WebExtensions? Even when i change the user-agent string override for addons.mozilla.org most personas say that they couldn't be installed because they're WebExtensions. How do you convert them back to the old fashioned add-ons?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: WebExtensions Themes Trouble

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-04-11, 22:08

Some, not all, of the old lighweight personas are still around. Sometimes you just have to hunt for them. And the link below should get you started.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160306112 ... ox/themes/

Right now I'm using a "Solid" colored lightweight persona named, "Windows 8 Basic Blue" and it can be found at the link below. For me, this beats the default color of Pale Moon and it is easy on my eyes color wise.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170830151 ... asic-blue/

In each category of lightweight personas, there is really only 12-15 pages of them. Hope this helps you.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ChelonianEgghead

Unread post by ChelonianEgghead » 2019-04-11, 22:17

I'm gonna reverse-engineer the WebExtensions persona format, and then when I learn Python this summer my top priority will be to write a converter that copies the relevant info into a new classic persona. Phewie on No-zilla.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-04-14, 07:08

Good luck with that, but I don't think some kind of "conversion" will do the trick. Newer AMO Firefox Themes have only one header image for upper toolbars background and no footer image for the deprecated FF status bar background anymore. Obviously AMO just modified the way for old Personas to install (as WE only).
I couldn't find out if they disabled or deleted the footer images in the older Personas, because they don't accept FF 52.9, so I can't even use my own Themes there, unless I don't update to FF 53 or higher. For me they're just gone. "Conversion" sounds good, but when the footer file is missing, the status bar will be blank anyway.
Such a mess because of 2 damn jpgs! - which they once made AMO exclusive... :evil:

*)edit: btw, thx Night Wing for the archive.org links!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-04-14, 10:10

It's still possible to install these from the Thunderbird add-ons site.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/themes/

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-04-14, 11:21

Lootyhoof wrote:It's still possible to install these from the Thunderbird add-ons site.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/themes/
Hey, how cool, THANKS! - I still thought they were only hosting those for TB. Installation works for the Status Bar - and they still have the classic page design. great :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-14, 14:41

Keep in mind that "themes" in this respect are simply no more than toolbar background images and a few color codes for text. There's nothing else to them -- with TB keeping compatibility with previous Firefox in that respect it's no surprise that TB "themes" (mind the quotes) can be applied with little trouble.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-05-11, 02:42

Is there a way to tell personas rotator to log into the thunderbird site?
I can't rotate my favourites anymore.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-11, 12:12

If it was up to me Personas would be ripped out of the platform. I just have to settle for ripping out support for them in my applications.

The concept contributed and re-enforced the slow death of people's hard work in true skinning so I am still bitter.

The good news is, for other people, is that in the future support for uploading new Personas will be added to Phoebus.