Pale Moon X1

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Pale Moon X1

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-08-16, 21:40

I have always used this theme and find it just to my taste (although I change the navigation toolbar colors a bit with Theme Maker).
I have really tried to get used to other themes but always go back to Pale Moon X1.
I have no knowledge about themes but assume this theme very outdated for use on Pale Moon 27 or even worse Pale Moon 28, although I haven't noticed anything irregular.
I would really appreciate if someone with theme knowledge would take a look into this theme and see if it can be easily modified to work correctly with the new Pale Moon 28 :wave:
Putting it on the Pale Moon theme site would also prevent that Mozilla makes it disappear forever.
I am pretty sure that other Pale Moon users with a propensity for dark themes will love this one.

The link is:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-moon-x1/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon X1

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-16, 21:43

Note this is a "lightweight theme" which is nothing more than a toolbar background and some text color settings. Because of the simple nature of these kinds of themes and special adaptations present in the default theme to make it skinnable this way, there should not be any issues with any lightweight themes. Only complete themes are specifically version bound because they totally re-theme the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-08-16, 21:52

That is really good news.
Then maybe it doesn't belong on the Pale Moon theme site, since it is a lightweight theme?
Is it possible to get instructions of how to save and later install this theme from the saved copy?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-16, 23:37

The theme installs normally on PM 28, although white/light text doesn't look very good to me (same with all dark lightweight themes). As for backing things up and restoring them, including themes, FEBE is a great option.

(update: light text on dark theme looks crap here because I've disabled Direct2D - with the default setting [enabled] it's ok)
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-16, 23:39, edited 2 times in total.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-08-17, 00:40

PalleP wrote:...
Is it possible to get instructions of how to save and later install this theme from the saved copy?
Hi PalleP,
You can still use Mozillas Personas Plus add-on (I use 1.82) combined with the old Lightweight Themes Manager 0.2.1-signed.1-let-fixed.1-signed
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Your installed LW-themes will show in the LWT-Manager (PM>Preferences>LWT Manager) which opens in PMs main window; Developer View enabled in upper right menu) Using the JSON button under theme previews opens a small window where you can find the header and footer links. Open these image links in a new tab and save them. With the Edit function in LWT-Manager you can load them later from a disk location.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-17, 03:11

loxodont wrote:
PalleP wrote:
You may prefer using ThemeTool, instead of "Lightweight Themes Manager", for light theme backup and restore. ThemeTool 6.0.0 is a fork of the "Lightweight Themes Manager" extension.
themetool.png
Light themes are stored, as text in json format, by Pale Moon, in the preference "lightweightThemes.usedThemes" (in "about:config"). Light theme images are downloaded, from information in the json string ("lightweightThemes.usedThemes"), each time these images are used. ThemeTool (and "Lightweight Themes Manager") backups are also in json format. The actual theme images are not saved or locally backed up.

I do not recommend editing the "lightweightThemes.usedThemes" json string or light theme backups (Mistake(s) may make the preference or backup completely unusable. And some proposed edits may not be fully compatible with Pale Moon 28). However, if you do so, first make a backup of the preference "lightweightThemes.usedThemes". Make a backup of each json file you wish to edit. And, for the editing itself, the notepad++ program, with the JSTool plugin, is very useful.
Last edited by riiis on 2018-08-17, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-08-17, 13:03

THX riis for these infos ... and your very appreciated theme extensions.
I've had installed ThemeTool already, but as I still create custom LW-themes every now and then, with no intention to upload on AMO, I missed some of the original add-ons developer functions, just to test my different local header/footer images directly in the browser(s).

When LWT-Manager came out I "backed" up a lot of my LW-themes, just to find out these backups can't be used on other computers, because there's no images in the backup.

Generally I still find it a bad standard that 2 simple browser background images need a connection to AMO, even worse for Pale Moon users, who have a Status Bar, that will not be served by the newer "header-only" themes on AMO.

I really wished ThemeTool would support the dev options one day (or palemoon.org would make their own LW-Themes site ;)

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-08-17, 19:56

Thank you for all the suggestions.
I just tried FEBE, it does not work for me and stops at 2,7%. A pity, it would be nice with a complete backup tool that even allows selective restore.
So I will try Theme Tool. I had it installed once, but removed it later since I have no use for the other functions.
Last edited by PalleP on 2018-08-17, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-17, 20:17

FEBE works with no problems, make sure to install the Pale Moon version (10.2 currently) and to verify all its settings. A few times it may get stuck, but try again and it will work. Also try unchecking How to backup/Run asynchronously.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-17, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.