Anyone up for porting Foxdie to Pale Moon?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

realmdee

Anyone up for porting Foxdie to Pale Moon?

Unread post by realmdee » 2018-07-01, 01:04

Wondering if any of the Pale Moon theme developers would be interested in porting the theme called Foxdie (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxdie/) to Pale Moon or creating a similar one? As I am a user of the unofficial Mac version of Pale Moon, it would be good if the ported Foxdie could be compatible with it. I would attempt to do this myself but I lack even the most basic understandings of theme development.
Last edited by realmdee on 2018-07-01, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Anyone up for porting Foxdie to Pale Moon?

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-07-01, 01:12

realmdee wrote:I would attempt to do this myself but I lack even the most basic understandings of theme development.
It's never too late to learn, if you want it. :thumbup:

http://developer.palemoon.org/Add-ons:Themes/Complete

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-01, 01:39

FYI, realmdee: The theme is meant for Firefox 15-18, when the interface was quite similar to what Pale Moon still has. I just installed it, and other than a squished search engine icon, it seems to look and work just fine. (It would be some work to port it properly, but it's mostly fine as-is.)

Here's how to install the theme from AMO: Instead of clicking to install it, right-click the button and select Save Link As.... Then open the .jar file with Archive Utility (it's really just a zip with a different name), and within it open install.rdf with a text editor. Change the max version to 28.* so Pale Moon will thing it's compatible. Save install.rdf, and then zip the chrome folder, chrome.manifest, icon.png, and install.rdf. Change the extension on new zip file to .xpi (make sure it's not .xpi.zip! macOS likes to hide the file extension), and you should be able to install the theme in Pale Moon.
Last edited by SpockFan02 on 2018-07-01, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-07-01, 21:46

You should also change the ID number to that of Pale Moon in install.rdf. The line should look like this:
<em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>

It is possible to make MacOS display extension names. In Finder, go to Preferences > Advanced and check the item "Show all filename extensions". That will make the extensions for filenames visible, and file handling is much easier if you can see those.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-01, 22:26

Goodydino wrote:...

It is possible to make MacOS display extension names. In Finder, go to Preferences > Advanced and check the item "Show all filename extensions". That will make the extensions for filenames visible, and file handling is much easier if you can see those.
Hey, thanks for the tip!

realmdee

Unread post by realmdee » 2018-07-02, 02:54

Thanks SpockFan02 for the instructions, I now have Foxdie working again.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-02, 06:06

Wonderful! :D :thumbup: