Anyone using PMChrome?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Anyone using PMChrome?

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 02:06

I've only tried a couple of themes in my years of using Pale Moon. Mostly, I use the standard theme and have never delved into theme settings.

But now I've downloaded PMChrome because of its clean look. The problem is that my result looks very different from what I was expecting. (see below)

How do I get the look that's shown on the PMChrome page? In particular, I'd like full names on the tabs ... just like with PM's standard theme.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Expected look:
PMChrome.png
Actual look:
Theme.PNG

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Anyone using PMChrome?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-21, 02:12

A few minor compramises have to be made given that Pale Moon isn't actually Chrome and even those are kept in the realm of what if Chrome had our tabstrip or had an Application Menu..

Ryan did a spectacular job considering the original base theme as it was was kinda shit. The only point that may not be in scope is the larger text in the address box.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 02:28

The hamburger menu and the crushed tabs are the main elements I'd like to change. The font size isn't particularly a problem.

This is the look I'm after and if it's not available with PMChrome, I'll move on.
PMChrome.png

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-03-21, 02:51

If you would want to remove the app menu from the titlebar and have a hamburger menu on the toolbar, you can try this extension: Toolbarize Menu Button

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 04:38

Thanks for pointing that out. But what I'm really after is something like a Pale Moon logo in the top corner to click to get the menus. (I don't care for hamburger menus ... not on PCs, anyway.)

Sounds like I'm going to half to look for a different theme.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-21, 04:42

Or learn some userChrome.css tricks.. Besides, that isn't very Chrome from your screenshot.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 08:50

Have you tried material moon in the palemoon themes by any chance.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-03-21, 12:27

The tabs are only smaller when you have a lot of them open, as with the default theme.

As for the hamburger, this is to emulate Chrome's menu button within our application. To do this, this is essentially designed to merge the hamburger with Chrome's user profile button.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 15:22

What I'm trying at the moment is Australium. It has a clean look, with full tabs ... but the inactive tabs are dark ... too dark to read the tab's text.

I thought I could use ThemeTool to enable one of the light themes. But, so far, I can't get it to do anything other than add its button to the button bar.

Does anyone use it? (... and know how to load it with themes? A restart doesn't help.)

A bigger question is: Is there some place to edit the colors of a theme? ... or are they deeply embedded in some kind of compiled theme definition?
Australium.png

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 15:46

Well, one step forward, two steps back.

I went to here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/white-glossy-look/?src=rating
and installed the WhiteGlossyLook. It lightened the inactive tabs, but reverted the overall theme back to the Pale Moon Standard.

Obviously, I don't understand how these themes are being applied.

Can someone point me to a page that explains the mechanisms and considerations of themes for Pale Moon?

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 16:52

This claim is particularly confusing:
Claimed support.PNG

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-21, 17:15

No it isn't .. Just apply tge full theme and then select a persona from the ThemeTool menu.. Simple!

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-03-21, 20:05

context wrote:I thought I could use ThemeTool to enable one of the light themes. But, so far, I can't get it to do anything other than add its button to the button bar. Does anyone use it? (... and know how to load it with themes? )
Persona/light themes for Pale Moon are called simply "Themes" in Firefox. These light themes are available or "loaded" from addons.mozilla.org (AMO). Or you can create your own persona/light themes using Theme Maker.

Persona/light themes are listed in the Add-ons Manager "Appearance" section, commingled with complete themes. If the user selects a persona/light theme
from the Add-ons Manager "Appearance" section, the browser will require the "Default" theme be used. If the user selects a persona/light theme
from ThemeTool or Persona/Light Theme Manager, use of the "Default" theme is completely optional and not required.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 20:12

It would seem my earlier reply must have flown over the cuckoos nest and beyond as i did ask if the OP had tried the material moon theme which is somewhat akin to the barebones chrome interface(though why on gods earth anyone would wish to use such a spartan non decorated interface).

Heres a question...?
why is there 2 "chrome" themes.?
Isnt one enough,

Pale moon 29.4.1

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 20:28

my earlier reply must have flown over the cuckoos nest and beyond
Sorry. I got busy testing. I had tried the Material theme ... but, alas, it suffers from the crushed tab effect (... like many of them do).

Is there some way to turn that condensing effect off? (I keep 40 or 50 tabs open and seeing a bunch of gibberish at the top isn't helpful.)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 20:33

context wrote:
my earlier reply must have flown over the cuckoos nest and beyond
Sorry. I got busy testing. I had tried the Material theme ... but, alas, it suffers from the crushed tab effect (... like many of them do).

Is there some way to turn that condensing effect off? (I keep 40 or 50 tabs open and seeing a bunch of gibberish at the top isn't helpful.)
Please no need to apologise.FWIW i have tried both of those themes myself and i did not like them plus with me using linux some of the themes do not agree with GTK and produce horrendous results.Its not a simple case of just changing a theme as i have to adjust the operating system theme also and this can sometimes lead to frustration.

I dont know how many tabs you usually use but the "crushed" effect is normally how chrome handles many tabs from what i can recall so it would seem normal behaviour in that sense.
Last edited by Moonraker on 2018-03-21, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

Pale moon 29.4.1

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-21, 21:34

Well, thanks to the explanation provided by riiis, I was able to install and try a couple dozen light themes. (list below)

The Light Gray Gradient works best, for me. But I wish the author would have made the active tab white, for emphasis ... at least the background of the site name. But everything else is clean and clear ... and the Pale Moon menu tab stands out. (If I had a choice, the back icon would be larger or emphasized.)

Thanks for the comments and links.
Theme results.PNG
Theme results.PNG (13.04 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Light Themes.PNG
Light Themes.PNG (6.04 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-03-21, 22:35

context wrote:The Light Gray Gradient works best, for me. But I wish the author would have made the active tab white
Try the Active Tab More Visible extension.
You can try Tab Mix Plus to change the hidden preference for minimum tab width. Or manually enter the integer preference "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" in "about:config". (Note: default values appear to be set at 100 for "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" and 250 for "browser.tabs.tabMaxWidth". To make all tabs the same fixed width, make the "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" value equal to the "browser.tabs.tabMaxWidth" value, say between 150 to 250).
Last edited by riiis on 2018-03-21, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-03-22, 08:47

As Moonraker pointed out, with a lot of tabs in the tab bar, Google Chrome likes to crush them down. However, as you don't like that, you can do what riis suggested by changing the preferences... Or you can add a line to userChrome.css or just the theme, something like this:

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab { min-width: 100px !important; }
If you put that in the theme, then, rather intuitively, it will only take effect when the theme is active, and since you've only found the crushed tabs to be a problem with this theme, perhaps that'd be better than the about:config settings.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-03-22, 13:18

Good suggestions. I'm trying some of them.

@riiis: Unfortunately, the light theme I'm using already has the active tab at F8F8F8. Would your extension able to offer FFFFFF? ... "Active Tab White"

Regarding about:config, I found what I thought was a good solution ... an entry named browser.tabs.tabClipWidth, which was set to 140. I changed it to 180, but it had no effect. So I measured the tab widths on my screen and found that their widths are all clipped at 100 by some other process.

Would anyone know what process is at work?

@SpockMan02: I'll look at editing the CSS for the theme. That sounds like a good approach. (But at this point I haven't found the theme definition file.)
tabClipWidth.PNG
tabClipWidth.PNG (7.32 KiB) Viewed 1174 times