Compact Moon - ultra-thin scrollbars in Linux Mint?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Compact Moon - ultra-thin scrollbars in Linux Mint?

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-10-18, 16:13

After a little bit of struggle I've installed Pale Moon for Linux v26.5.0 in Linux Mint 17.2 Raffaela (fully updated). Then installed the Compact Moon 1.3.0 theme. All other non-related issues aside, I've noticed scrollbars being extremely thin and I don't think they're intended like that, considering I'm using v1.2.0 on Pale Moon Atom/XP v25.8.1 under Windows XP and the scrollbars are at their normal size.
The only installed add-on is a modded YARIP but it's been like this even before installing it so it can't be blamed.
All default plug-ins are disabled.

Any hints? Any other information I should provide or tests to perform? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-10-18 18-44-00-hints.png

Andrew Gilbertson

Re: Compact Moon - ultra-thin scrollbars in Linux Mint?

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-10-18, 16:57

Why not update to 1.4.0 which is available on APO? I just tried it on Linux Mint 18 with 26.5.0 and it doesn't seem to have this problem (it does have quite nicely styled scroll bars IMO, though).

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-10-18, 17:19

Some things move too fast for an old guy like me. :oops: Thanks, I didn't know about 1.4.0 - past experience taught me to keep auto-updates disabled wherever possible (generally speaking). I'll give it a shot, see if it fixes the issue. ;)

EDIT:
Nope, still the same with 1.4.0. I wonder what could be the problem. And unfortunately Linux is not a friend of mine at all.
Any other suggestions, anyone, please?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-18, 18:04

I'm not a Linux man so I may be wrong, but I would gather that the system metrics used for those kinds of controls are determined by the OS. Do you have a system theme control panel you can use to change system element/control sizes?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-10-18, 18:26

Theme control in Mint is a joke, nothing usable from my point of view.
However, there still is Firefox on that system, together with QtWeb and Rekonq and scrollbars are correct with them, the issue appears only in Pale Moon and only with the Compact Moon theme - the default theme exhibits correctly-sized scrollbars too. That's why I concluded the problem must be precisely in the Compact Moon theme or somewhere else in Pale Moon.
I'm not a Linux man either, actually I'm struggling hard to embrace it but so far it's been a pain and I'm fairly knowledgeable with computers, I'd say.
For comparison, here's all four browsers with the very same page loaded from HDD:
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-10-18 21-44-10-blur.png

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-10-18, 19:01

Please be aware that you can use system-native scrollbars via the Compact Moon Options addon:

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-10-18, 21:17

That is one workaround, yes. Thank you for reminding about the add-on, forgot completely about it. Installed, switched to native, all fine for now.
The problem remains though: why does that happen? Something missing/wrong version in Mint 17.2 or missing/wrong settings in theme's code?

Anyway, it works for now so thanks.