Guides/help for forking a theme for Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Fred Barclay

Guides/help for forking a theme for Pale Moon

Unread post by Fred Barclay » 2016-06-08, 19:08

G'day mates! I've argued and argued with myself for several weeks about posting here for help (shhh! don't tell :silent: ) but I've finally got to get some help.

I'm working on forking the Arch Firefox Theme for Pale Moon. This is my first theme project for any browser, and I haven't been able to find any good guides for creating/forking one, especially for Pale Moon. I've actually found more help by reading the source code for many palemoon themes (thanks, Lootyhoof!) but this doesn't help me see what changes I should make when forking a Firefox theme for palemoon.

I did manage to get a semi-working Arc Palemoon Theme going but it's still pretty ugly and I haven't even tried to release it yet. ;)

So what I would love help on...
1. Could someone here point me to a good guide for creating a Pale Moon theme?
2. If not, could someone help me specifically on this project?

I'm afraid I might need some hand-holding since this is my first attempt, but I promise to do my best! At least the icons have already been designed so all I need to do is edit the code and get 3 working .xpi files (Arc, Arc-Darker, and Arc-Dark).

Thanks!
Fred

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Guides/help for forking a theme for Pale Moon

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-06-08, 20:37

First off: it's great to see more people working on themes. Thank you! :thumbup:

Making a full and proper guide is definitely on the to-do, though at the very least I did produce the following several months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10158

In terms of the Arc theme in particular, this is specific to Australis. Unfortunately, this does mean a bit more work than an FF24-compatible theme. Mainly, it would involve replacing styling for Australis-specific elements with those used in Pale Moon (compare the #selectors used in the themes to see - if it isn't styled in Arc, add it, and if it's in Arc and not in other themes it probably isn't needed, or can be re-named to another element).

Definitely consult the source for my Australium theme for help - it's a direct port of Australis to Pale Moon.

Feel free to get in touch for anything if you need any help. :)

Fred Barclay

Re: Guides/help for forking a theme for Pale Moon

Unread post by Fred Barclay » 2016-06-09, 02:11

Wow, mate! That's an amazing link you have there. :) I couldn't have asked for anything better.

I may have some questions later... will post 'em here if that's alright.
Cheers!
Fred