PMChrome: To Material or Not Material?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Material Design?

Yes
31%
No
31%
Fork it!
38%

Total votes: 16

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

PMChrome: To Material or Not Material?

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2015-12-28, 23:54

Recently, developer versions of Google Chrome have shipped with a (currently optional) Material Design UI change. In parallel to this, PMChrome's upstream version, FXChrome, has started using this as a base for design changes:

My question therefore is: do you, the users of PMChrome, want the theme to also follow in this direction? Due to the amount of changes required, it'd be cumbersome to produce as a userstyle of any sort. I could, however, make a Material Design fork of PMChrome instead, if people preferred.

Of course, it's all up to you guys how to take this. :)

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: PMChrome: To Material or Not Material?

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-12-29, 00:59

Looks nice and I'm all for it, but we should stick with user choice, so fork it, please. By the way, was that your vote to say "no?"
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2015-12-29, 03:59

I think forking is the way to go.

That way, you can collect the people who like Chrome's current and soon to be former aesthetic and get them using Pale Moon with the old Chrome theme if they don't like the the actual Chrome's new look, *but* still also have a theme so that future Chrome users who like it's soon-to-be-current look but want Pale Moon's increased customizablity, extendability, and privacy to get all that in one package (Pale Moon plus the new theme). Essentially, you get the people soon to be disenfranchised by Chrome's changes *and* the people who in the future might want a smooth transition to Pale Moon from the Chrome of the future, which to them will be the Chrome of the present.

To be fair, though, I should note that:

a) I don't like Chrome's look (past, present, or future- at least not the future that is being previewed, I can't say passed that because I don't have a crystal ball :) ) and thus am not using and don't plan to use a Chrome-like theme. So my vote may not count, which is fine with me. :)

b) It's easy for me to say fork it because I don't have to code or maintain the fork. I understand why someone might not want to do twice the work

c) If I was going to be completely selfish, I'd say do neither and work on a Pale Moon compatible fork of Privacy Badger instead. ;)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-01-13, 21:26

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

Based on the feedback here, and the results of the poll, I feel confident enough to fork it as its own theme. There's quite a few changes involved, and I suspect a few people may not approve of them. So, like with PMOpera and Opresto, I'll keep two versions of PMChrome maintained: one material (which will be the forked version), and one original (i.e. PMChrome itself).

Those who do want the material version, stay tuned...

Accelarion

Unread post by Accelarion » 2016-09-04, 22:30

Has the material design version been released yet? If it has, it needs to be added to the complete theme page.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-09-04, 22:40

It's on the back-burner at the moment, but it's something I do want to release eventually. Sorry for the wait!

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-09-04, 23:11

Lootyhoof wrote:It's on the back-burner at the moment.....
Back burner! I don't know if I can wait any longer!? Lol, probably can. :)

Thanks again Lootyhoof! :thumbup:
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime