Worthy side discussion from Compatiblity Thread

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Quantum Reality

Re: Compatibility Reports for v25

Unread post by Quantum Reality » 2014-11-10, 19:51

•,Self-Destructing Cookies,0.4.6, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... g-cookies/ ,Privacy & Security, — Gets rid of a site's cookies and LocalStorage as soon as you close its tabs.,
[NOTE: SDC 0.4.6 won't install unless compatibility checking is turned off by installing Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks (checkCompatibility) 1.3 listed above.]
As of 25.0.2 SDC 0.4.6 should work, but if not, a workaround is to install 0.4.4 and then let it upgrade itself in the browser.

Neil_Parks

Unread post by Neil_Parks » 2014-11-10, 22:22

Antonius32 wrote:Name: Fire IE 0.3.9
Type: Extension
It seems that there are several different extensions for opening the MSIE engine within FF.

One that works well for me in Pale Moon 25.0.2 is "IE Tab V2 (Enhanced IE Tab)" which can be found at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-2-ff-36

After installation it identifies itself in the extensions tab of the add-on manager as "IE Tab 2 (FF 3.6+) 5.12.12.1". It also installs a plug-in "IE Tab Plug-in 2.2.0.1".

Author's current home page is www.ietab.net. (The "more" link in the add-on manager is outdated.)

playdayz

Unread post by playdayz » 2014-11-14, 17:03

Will Pittenger wrote:
playdayz wrote:Name: Redirect Cleaner
Issue: does not function - does not strip redirect. no icon
Cause:
Workaround:
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/redirect-cleaner/
Try Redirect Remover instead. Works fine.
Thanks Will, but with Redirect Remover I am getting a Redirect Remover Incompatible with Pale Moon 25.0.2 and 25.1.0 message. Likely I am overlooking something, but I don't know what.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-11-14, 17:55

Redirect Remover - WORKSFORME (installs OK, no confidence in actual function)

It installed for me on 25.1.0 w/o errors (I have checkcompatibility ext. installed and it does not show as incompatible). One issue I see is the AMO page says FF 4.0 and later but internally the extension says FF 3.0 - 3.6. (This happens a lot on AMO.) Also, Redirect Remover has not been updated since 2010 and should be considered abandoned. Unfortunately, none of the link cleaners do much in my experience; old fashioned copy/paste/edit is still the only sure way.

astewart
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by astewart » 2014-11-16, 03:12

These three extensions are still listed on the Known Incompatible Addons page:
Name: Tile Tabs
Issue: Not functional
Cause: TBD
Workaround: TBD
Resolution: TBD

Name: Tile View
Issue: see Tile Tabs
Resolution: TBD

Name: TabMixPlus
Issue: Unknown, seems partly functional (Requires developer cooperation due to complexity)
Resolution: Pending developer response
Tile Tabs version 11.13 and Tile View version 3.5 are available on AMO and specifically fix Pale Moon 25 compatibility.
The Tab Mix Plus AMO development channel version also specifically adds PM 25 compatibility (one version before the one listed now - 0.4.1.6pre.141025a1).
Authors who are cooperating with us should get off the list at the earliest possible time.

Alan

MoonSavvy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by MoonSavvy » 2014-11-21, 18:23

Name: PrefBar
Issue: Customize toolbar button does not work / Function hotkey to show toolbar does not work (PM 25.1.0)
Cause: Code within add-on has hardcoded references to the Firefox GUID (in install.rdf & prefbar.jar)

Prefbar.jar contains the following files making reference to the Firefox GUID:

content/goprefbar/main.js
content/prefbarOverlay.js
content/pref-options.js

The first file (main.js) hardcodes the GUID for Firefox as a constant within a function ("InFF").
The second & third files use the function in main.js ("InFF") that has the hardcoded GUID.

Workaround: modifying the three JavaScript files to include a new "InPM" function (to work alongside the original "InFF" function) containing the new PM v25 GUID appears to fix all problems with the add-on (customize button & function hotkey both working correctly). Not sure if it is the best solution, but it works!

AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/prefbar/

PS. This is the first post from a new Pale Moon user of only several months (though a Mozilla-based browser user since the very early "Mosaic Netscape 0.9") so I am currently unable to PM the fixed XPI file (containing the modified install.rdf & prefbar.jar files) that I have created to Tobin, though will do so as soon my permissions allow.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-05, 17:21

postbuz wrote:
travis82 wrote:Name: NewsFox
Issue: dos not work and icons are missing
NewsFox 1.0.9.2 (RC) works with PaleMoon 25.01: "Palemoon support added".

See: http://newsfox.mozdev.org/installation.html
Feedback from dev:
NewsFox 1.0.9.2 (http://newsfox.mozdev.org/installation.html#newest) works with Palemoon 25.

It has been submitted to AMO.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-25, 20:27

masoko wrote:Name: Image Toolbar
Issue: If activated the extension blocks ALL images on EVERY website, instead of showing a toolbar for saving images.
Cause: ?
Workaround: Image Toolbar 0.6.16 doesn't support Pale Moon (since it's not available for Firefox 24.9), so I tried Version 0.6.14, it can be installed, but it doesn't work and blocks ALL images.
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-toolbar/
Cause was posted here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... ge+Toolbar

masoko

Unread post by masoko » 2015-01-27, 19:32

SvenG wrote:
masoko wrote:Name: Image Toolbar
Issue: If activated the extension blocks ALL images on EVERY website, instead of showing a toolbar for saving images.
Cause: ?
Workaround: Image Toolbar 0.6.16 doesn't support Pale Moon (since it's not available for Firefox 24.9), so I tried Version 0.6.14, it can be installed, but it doesn't work and blocks ALL images.
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-toolbar/
Cause was posted here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... ge+Toolbar
So there's no solution?

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2015-01-27, 19:57

The solution is in the link Moonchild has in his post within the link above:

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7005

You'll need to bring this to the attention of the extension developer and ask him/her/them to update accordingly. If the extension is abandoned, then you can attempt to update it yourself or ask Tobin to look into forking the project here. You'll have to post that request in the correct forum/topic here though, otherwise he'll pay it no mind.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Worthy side discussion from Compatiblity Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-28, 00:49

Oh man I remember this extension. I used to use it back in the day.. Yeah, I am gonna fork this one because the developer isn't maintaining backwards compatibility.

Stay tuned.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-06, 10:45

drivetheory wrote:Name: Open Image in New Tab 1.1
Issue: context menu entry is missing in PM 25+, works fine in firefox 36.0.1
Cause:
Workaround:
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... n-new-tab/
You don't need an add-on for this.
right-click an image, then either Ctrl+click or middle-click on the "view image" context entry :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

drivetheory
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by drivetheory » 2015-03-06, 20:34

Moonchild wrote:
drivetheory wrote:Name: Open Image in New Tab 1.1
Issue: context menu entry is missing in PM 25+, works fine in firefox 36.0.1
Cause:
Workaround:
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... n-new-tab/
You don't need an add-on for this.
right-click an image, then either Ctrl+click or middle-click on the "view image" context entry :)
nice, didn't know CTRL clicking view image opened it in a new tab, thanks. now if only the new tab wasn't focused = )

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-06, 21:12

drivetheory wrote:[nice, didn't know CTRL clicking view image opened it in a new tab, thanks. now if only the new tab wasn't focused = )
try CTRL-Shift :D You can also use middleclick and Shift+middleclick.

I guess we need a FAQ article on openening Links in Pale Moon :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-16, 22:56

engelhro wrote:Name: DownThemAll!
Issue: Most recent version 3.0 beta 6 can't be installed (reported as "incompatible"). The previous version 3.0 beta 5 works fine. See http://www.downthemall.net/main/install-it/downthemall-3-0-beta-5-2/ and http://www.downthemall.net/main/install-it/downthemall-3-0-beta-6/
AMO: https://code.downthemall.net/releases/downthemall-3.0b6.xpi
DtA 2.0.18 (a non-beta!) works perfectly fine on Pale Moon. If you want to take the change up with the DtA developer they can probably make sure their new version STAYS compatible, if they want to provide support, anyway. First course of action should always be, especially for non-release versions, to contact the extension author and ask them to support Pale Moon.

engelhro

Unread post by engelhro » 2015-03-28, 23:44

Moonchild wrote:DtA 2.0.18 (a non-beta!) works perfectly fine on Pale Moon. If you want to take the change up with the DtA developer they can probably make sure their new version STAYS compatible, if they want to provide support, anyway. First course of action should always be, especially for non-release versions, to contact the extension author and ask them to support Pale Moon.
Well, I meanwhile did ask the DTA! developers (see here), but received a both negative as well as unfriendly (Palemoon is a "worse" version of Firefox?) and not really meaningful answer…

I don't know whether they did this "just for fun" or whether there is indeed some technical reason behind. While in the reply is stated that "we don't support Firefox ESR in the 3.0 Beta" (which could mean they might do so in the final?) and that they don't "officially support Palemoon" (but unofficially then? How?), I now found the following remark in their beta 6 announcement:
Pale Moon is not supported because it is still using an old version code base.
Whatever that means from their point of view…

Well, time to jump ship and abandon DTA! I guess. Does anyone know a good alternative which easyless integrates with Palemoon and has the option to set the date and timestamp of downloaded files to those of the originals on the server? This last requirement is one that many of the other available download tools unfortunately do not support…

Tailszefox

Unread post by Tailszefox » 2015-03-29, 07:55

Off-topic:
I honestly don't know how Pale Moon's devs can handle having their product constantly be called "a bad derivative of an old version of Firefox". This is both extremely uneducated and just plain insulting for their work. I suppose after a while you start tuning that kind of thing out, but it must at the very least still be annoying.
Anyway. I can't think of an exact alternative to DTA, but I personally use FlashGot, which is compatible with Pale Moon. The downside is that unlike DTA, this isn't an all-in-one solution, as it's made to integrate with a number of external download managers, but not really function on its own. Still, it's an alternative worth looking into if you don't mind installing another piece of software.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-29, 11:19

Off-topic:
Tailszefox wrote:I honestly don't know how Pale Moon's devs can handle having their product constantly be called "a bad derivative of an old version of Firefox". This is both extremely uneducated and just plain insulting for their work. I suppose after a while you start tuning that kind of thing out, but it must at the very least still be annoying.
Trust me, it's really aggravating every time, and sometimes just plain infuriating that loud noises are made with incorrect content. Hence my recent blog post.
How we handle it? Taking deep breaths, some meditation, walks with the dog... That kind of stuff. And the odd response to tell people to go and read up on what they are talking about if it seems they might actually listen.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-29, 11:58

Those people who call Pale Moon "a bad derivative of an old version of Firefox" have probably never even used Pale Moon. I've run across these people and when I've asked them if they've tried Pale Moon, 9 times out of 10 they say they've never used Pale Moon.

If I would have listened to these types of "know it alls" who "do not" know it all when I was searching for a Firefox alternative 4 years ago, I would never have tried Pale Moon. I must say though, the more these types bashed Pale Moon, the more I wanted to try Pale Moon. Sort of like eating "forbidden fruit". :twisted: And the more forbidden fruit I ate, the more I liked it. ;) :D
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-05-05, 09:47

Matt A Tobin wrote:
fraterlinux wrote:Name: HTitle Hide title bar if window is maximized.
Type: Extension [Version 2.13 Released May 31, 2014 29.7 kB Works with Firefox 24.0 and later, Thunderbird 24.0 and later]
Issue: Does not hide the title bar
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rsion-2.13

Can not fork to version 2.13 to run in Pale Moon?
May want to ping Antonius32 about this one as it is for Linux only.
The add-on description page states that HTitle was designed for the GNOME desktop environment specifically, but that it may work with other DE's as well. I use KDE, and I just tested version 2.13 of this extension, but I could not get it to work.

@fraterlinux: Perhaps you could try Hide Caption Titlebar Plus (version 2.3) for an alternative. It may take some trial and error to configure it properly, but it works well with PM4Linux (on KDE).
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2015-05-05, 10:08, edited 3 times in total.