Compatibility Reports for Post-v25 Pale Moon

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Compatibility Reports for Post-v25 Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-17, 18:30

Charles wrote:Name: Ghostery
Type: Extension
Issue: Will not enable
Cause: Jetpack/SDK incompatible with Palemoon 27
Workaround:
AMO: <a href="http://www.ghostery.com/">http://www.ghostery.com/</a>
There really is no point reporting Jetpack/Add-on-SDK extensions here. They are simply going to be incompatible.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2016-12-24, 18:55

oh boy.................

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2016-12-24, 19:10

I hate to be a pain in the neck, but my computer cannot locate the file/files that this posting is referencing. Can you give the exact location on the C Drive where this/these file/files are located?

thank you.

GMforker wrote:
BKelley56 wrote:Ok, you're gonna have to explain that in a way that a computer hardware repair tech, who sucks at coding and logic, can understand what you typed. I take it you're telling me that there is something that can be edited, somewhere, but I haven't a clue where to go to do that.
e.g. (ad "Save Images 1.1.0.3"):

The file chrome\content\SIOverlay.js - list of changes:

1) Line 9:

Code: Select all

isWindows: true, si_isMac: false, FFv14plus: true, FFv32plus: false, FFv36plus: false, SMv229plus: false,
To:

isWindows: true, si_isMac: false, FFv14plus: true, FFv32plus: false, FFv36plus: false, SMv229plus: false, PMv27plus: false,
2) Line 639:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus)
To:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus || this.PMv27plus)
3) Line 1461:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus) {
To:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus || this.PMv27plus) {
4) Line 1529:

Insert this line after "si_getFirefoxVersion: function(){":

const PALEMOON_ID = "{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}";
5) Line 1543(1544):

Insert this lines after "this.SMv229plus = versionChecker.compare(appInfo.version, '2.29') >= 0;":

} else
if (appID == PALEMOON_ID) {
this.PMv27plus = versionChecker.compare(appInfo.version, '27') >= 0;

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-12-24, 23:35

BKelley56 wrote:Ok, you're gonna have to explain that in a way that a computer hardware repair tech, who sucks at coding and logic, can understand what you typed. I take it you're telling me that there is something that can be edited, somewhere, but I haven't a clue where to go to do that.
. . . . . . .
Can you give the exact location on the C Drive where this/these file/files are located?

Not a coder here either, but maybe this will help get you started...

The file you need to modify is inside your extension's xpi -- which is a compressed (zip) archive with an .xpi file extension.

Your xpi's live in a folder in your user profile:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\********.default\extensions
or
%AppData%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\********.default\extensions
(Quickest way to get there: Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Show Folder)

You can modify a copy of the one that's already in your profile, or go to AMO and grab a copy of Save Images to your desktop to edit (R-click, "save as" on the green 'Add to Firefox' button). If you use the one in your profile, it would be prudent to edit a copy and then swap them, and be sure the browser is closed when you do this.

Use your favorite compression (zip/unzip) software to unpack the file, make edits with a text editor, repack as zip archive, then change the file extension back to .xpi. (For detailed explanation: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_add-on_to_change_its_compatibility)

There are also a fair handful of forum threads about modding extensions. Try searching for edit xpi, modify xpi etc.

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2016-12-25, 01:33

I think I'm zero-ing in on things. I found the file in the .xpi thingmajob just like you said.

HOWEVER, when I make the changes in the posting just above these I get a message that says, "This addon cannot be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did exactly as the poster suggested, and I even cut and paste the changes he said to make. I tried 3-4 times with the same result.
coffeebreak wrote:
. . . . . . .
Can you give the exact location on the C Drive where this/these file/files are located?

Not a coder here either, but maybe this will help get you started...

The file you need to modify is inside your extension's xpi -- which is a compressed (zip) archive with an .xpi file extension.

Your xpi's live in a folder in your user profile:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\********.default\extensions
or
%AppData%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\********.default\extensions
(Quickest way to get there: Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Show Folder)

You can modify a copy of the one that's already in your profile, or go to AMO and grab a copy of Save Images to your desktop to edit (R-click, "save as" on the green 'Add to Firefox' button). If you use the one in your profile, it would be prudent to edit a copy and then swap them, and be sure the browser is closed when you do this.

Use your favorite compression (zip/unzip) software to unpack the file, make edits with a text editor, repack as zip archive, then change the file extension back to .xpi. (For detailed explanation: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_add-on_to_change_its_compatibility)

There are also a fair handful of forum threads about modding extensions. Try searching for edit xpi, modify xpi etc.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-12-25, 02:59

BKelley56 wrote:HOWEVER, when I make the changes in the posting just above these I get a message that says, "This addon cannot be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

Sounds like you may not have kept the original folder structure.

If after making your edits, you closed the containing folder and R-clicked on that folder to send it to a Compressed (zipped) folder, you would end up with the (first) folder inside another (new, zipped) folder.

Instead, keep the folder open and select all of the contents, R-click anywhere in the selected area and send the selected group to a Compressed (zipped) folder. If you use Windows native function, the new zipped archive may take its name from whichever one of the items the mouse pointer happened to touch when you R-clicked, but all will be present in the new archive if all were selected. (You can doublecheck this by extracting a copy of the new archive.) Just rename it to "Save Images 1.1.0.3-mod" (or whatever) and change the file extension to .xpi.

Hopefully this will work for you.

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2016-12-25, 20:03

See the image. These are the files/folders that I highlighted before sending them to the compressed folder.

Is this correct?

The file I updated is in the chrome/content folder.
coffeebreak wrote:
BKelley56 wrote:HOWEVER, when I make the changes in the posting just above these I get a message that says, "This addon cannot be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

Sounds like you may not have kept the original folder structure.

If after making your edits, you closed the containing folder and R-clicked on that folder to send it to a Compressed (zipped) folder, you would end up with the (first) folder inside another (new, zipped) folder.

Instead, keep the folder open and select all of the contents, R-click anywhere in the selected area and send the selected group to a Compressed (zipped) folder. If you use Windows native function, the new zipped archive may take its name from whichever one of the items the mouse pointer happened to touch when you R-clicked, but all will be present in the new archive if all were selected. (You can doublecheck this by extracting a copy of the new archive.) Just rename it to "Save Images 1.1.0.3-mod" (or whatever) and change the file extension to .xpi.

Hopefully this will work for you.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.91 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-12-25, 23:51

BKelley56 wrote:See the image. These are the files/folders that I highlighted before sending them to the compressed folder.
Is this correct?

Your image looks correct (to me), apparently that's not why you're getting the error message.

And just to verify, the file that needs editing is \chrome\content\SIOverlay.js
svImgs3.png

You might find it helpful to use one of the fancier, source code-oriented text editors like Notepad++ (if you don't already), and to edit directly inside the unextracted archive with a third-party archiver like 7-Zip -- which I use.

I took a stab at editing the file using GMforker's instructions and it seems ok: The extension installed without trouble for me on PM 27.03 and 26.5, the bits and pieces seemed intact (it had a menu entry, toolbar button, options panel etc.) -- and I gave a quick try to save images from current tab. It seemed to work, no error messages.

However I've never used this extension before and don't know if it all works as it should. In any case, I'll pm you the file.

tpenguinltg
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by tpenguinltg » 2016-12-30, 00:12

Name: Furigana Inserter
Issue: Furigana not inserted when kanji is selected and context menu item is clicked; options window does not appear
Cause: Appears to be ES6 classes in its utilities.js ("SyntaxError: class is a reserved identifier")
Workaround: Downgrade to 2.12.1-signed.1-let-fixed
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/furigana-inserter/

This was previously reported for v2.12.1-signed with Pale Moon v25, but this version now appears to be compatible.

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2016-12-31, 19:23

Hey folks, real quick note. This fix does work. I couldn't get it to work because I don't have the programming to do it and do it right, but another blogger (coffeebreak) did what GMforker suggested and sent me the fixed .xpi file.
GMforker wrote:
e.g. (ad "Save Images 1.1.0.3"):

The file chrome\content\SIOverlay.js - list of changes:

1) Line 9:

isWindows: true, si_isMac: false, FFv14plus: true, FFv32plus: false, FFv36plus: false, SMv229plus: false,
To:

isWindows: true, si_isMac: false, FFv14plus: true, FFv32plus: false, FFv36plus: false, SMv229plus: false, PMv27plus: false,
2) Line 639:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus)
To:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus || this.PMv27plus)
3) Line 1461:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus) {
To:

if (this.FFv32plus || this.SMv229plus || this.PMv27plus) {
4) Line 1529:

Insert this line after "si_getFirefoxVersion: function(){":

const PALEMOON_ID = "{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}";
5) Line 1543(1544):

Insert this lines after "this.SMv229plus = versionChecker.compare(appInfo.version, '2.29') >= 0;":

} else
if (appID == PALEMOON_ID) {
this.PMv27plus = versionChecker.compare(appInfo.version, '27') >= 0;

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-03, 13:00

Name: BackTrack Tab History
Issue: Won't install
Cause: Jetpack extension
Workaround: Tried to find its ancestor extensions; Tab History won't install because not available for the version, Tab History redux has been removed by its author. No equivalent addons listed on FF Addons site as of January 2, 2017.
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/backtrack-tab-history (included in page are the links for the two previous addons of this type)

AndTheWolf
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by AndTheWolf » 2017-01-04, 19:19

Tab History won't install because not available for the version, Tab History redux has been removed by its author. No equivalent addons listed on FF Addons site as of January 2, 2017
Both Tab Utilities Fixed 1.5.2016.07.31 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ies-fixed/) and Tab Utilities Phoenix 2.0.0 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s-phoenix/) support the tab history function. It can be set in Tab Utilities Options / Links / Retain session history.

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 04:08

AndTheWolf wrote:
Tab History won't install because not available for the version, Tab History redux has been removed by its author. No equivalent addons listed on FF Addons site as of January 2, 2017
Both Tab Utilities Fixed 1.5.2016.07.31 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ies-fixed/) and Tab Utilities Phoenix 2.0.0 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s-phoenix/) support the tab history function. It can be set in Tab Utilities Options / Links / Retain session history.
Tab Utilities Phoenix is an excellent alternative. Also covered the functions I was using from Tab Mix Plus. Possibly not a solution for people who don't care for that many functions, but works beautifully for me. Thanks! :-)

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 05:24

Name: OneNote Web Clipper
Issue: Cannot Install, not available for version.
Cause: Version incompatibility, addon is specifically FF optimized
Workaround: Haven't tried anything.
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/onenote-clipper

Unfortunately, the options listed alongside this when it is searched do not seem to have much more functionality than copy/paste, which is far behind what the official addon provides, have a lot more setup, and lack the impression (justified or not) of security that using an official addon provides when passwords are involved.

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 05:48

Name: Replace Bookmark
Issue: Install from main link
Cause: Optimized for FF post-fork.
Workaround: Install version 1.5.8 from older versions. Works fine.
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bmreplace

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 05:56

Name: Self-Destructing Cookies
Issue: Cannot Install
Cause: SDK/Jetpack extension
Workaround: None Attempted
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies

This one is listed on the known incompatible site, but the workaround indicated there no longer works.

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 06:21

Name: Stop Mod Reposts
Issue: Won't Install
Cause: Version Incompatibility
Workaround: Looked at older versions, all are incompatible.
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/irefox/addon/stop-mod-reposts

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 06:25

Name: Terms of Service; Didn’t Read
Cause: Version incompatibility
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/terms-of-service-didnt-read

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 07:24

Firefairy wrote:Name: Self-Destructing Cookies
Issue: Cannot Install
Cause: SDK/Jetpack extension
Workaround: None Attempted
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies

This one is listed on the known incompatible site, but the workaround indicated there no longer works.
Have found through the forums the excellent alternative addon, Cookies Exterminator, which is explicitly PM-compatible. Maybe edit the workaround to just using this? https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/cookies-exterminator

Firefairy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Firefairy » 2017-01-06, 09:35

Firefairy wrote:Name: Stop Mod Reposts
Cause: Version Incompatibility
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/irefox/addon/stop-mod-reposts
Woot! Emailed the Dev, and he is going to look into making an explicitly Pale Moon compatible version of this addon.