Add-ons Site General Discussion

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: General Thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-13, 00:22

Sajadi wrote:But as it already was stated here quite some time, add-on devs are as it seems not that interested in supporting Pale Moon....
Not yet, anyway. ;)
Maybe they will become more interested when they actually realize that Pale Moon will offer a platform for them that will not require updates every 6 weeks to their extensions (with required research of what has changed and what needs to be rewritten, etc.). Current Mozilla 24.* extension code works and will remain working. There is no need to think about "CustomizableUI" or similar APIs, and no danger of the arbitrary removal of features or APIs in the back-end without much warning because it was "refactored to something more abstract" or what have you.

Time will tell...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Information for addon developers?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-13, 00:44

Basic information was posted in August and is available on this very forum.
See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440 especially the lower part of that announcement post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-10-13, 04:37

Moonchild wrote:Basic information was posted in August and is available on this very forum.
See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440 especially the lower part of that announcement post.
Ahhh, I see the issue that I was having - your above link isn't linked to at all on the http://addons.palemoon.org webpage, nor is it listed in this here subforum (the one linked from addons.palemoon.org):
viewforum.php?f=44

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-13, 05:04

Because the announcement predates the launching of the site.. Obviously.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-13, 06:36

It seems you reverse the thing Tobin : addons site and subforum are not in that announcement because the announcement was earlier ; however the addons site and subforum could have linked to the already existing announcement. This would probably be a good idea to add it ; making it easier to find for someone who don't already know where to search.

MonoS

Re: Regarding PM v25 NicoFox compatibility

Unread post by MonoS » 2014-10-13, 06:50

Thank you very much :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-13, 11:20

What I don't get in chrome.manifest.. is why they specified a per-application selection when Firefox is the only guid used.. Arbitrary.. If it supported Seamonkey that would be a reason.. but it .. doesn't.. It is specifically locked in to firefox for no justifiable reason. This will be the next add-on we do..

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2014-10-13, 18:03

I can help in that respect, for themes at least (that is, "complete themes", not lightweight themes/Personas). Assuming the theme that needs to be ported is compatible with Firefox 24 (if it's not, make sure it is before continuing), the work that needs doing is minimal. If it is compatible with Firefox 24 though, in theory it should work even without porting; some elements, like the URLbar RSS icon, will be missing however.

First of all and most importantly, edit install.rdf to change the UUID from Firefox to Pale Moon (as in, change {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} to {8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}). Then, make sure minVersion is at least 24.0 (25.0 might work, though best be safe).

For the actual theme, add the following to browser.css; this is the URLbar feed icon, that shows whenever a page has an RSS feed:

Code: Select all

#ub-feed-button,
    #ub-feed-button > .button-box,
    #ub-feed-button:hover:active > .button-box {
      padding: 0px;
      margin: 0px;
      border: 0px;
      background-color: transparent !important;
    }

#ub-feed-button {
      -moz-appearance: none;
      min-width: 0px;
      list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/feeds/feedIcon16.png");
    }
Note that you can, of course, change the icon path/use a different icon/add hover/clicked states; this is just the easiest path if you want a no-frills icon. As long as those selector names stay the same, you're golden. :)

(OPTIONAL*) You can also implement support for Pale Moon's URLbar security padlocks. By default, they show in the identity box on secure sites. Add the following to either browser.css or a new CSS file (I recommend the latter personally, keeps thing tidy):

Code: Select all

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="ev"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_ev.png") !important;
      background-color: transparent;
    }

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="high"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_https.png") !important;
    }

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="low"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_low.png") !important;
    }

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="broken"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_broken.png") !important;
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="ev"] {
      padding:2px;
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="broken"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="ev"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="broken"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="ev"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="broken"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="ev"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="broken"] {
    }
Note that this requires 4 icons, 3 of which you should already have elsewhere: padlock_mod_ev.png (should be identity-icons-https-ev.png in existing themes), padlock_mod_https.png (identity-icons-https.png), padlock_mod_low.png (identity-icons-mixed-active.png), and padlock_mod_broken.png (this icon doesn't already exist; you will need to make it!). You can, of course, add hover/clicked states as required; I just provided the easiest path to achieving full compatibility.

Hopefully anyone that wanted to port a FF24 theme to PM25 and up found this helpful. :)

*: Theming the padlocks is purely optional; if you don't, Pale Moon will provide its default icons. However, as these are fairly light-coloured to match the default theme, it might break UX a little, especially for dark themes.

Jossee

Unread post by Jossee » 2014-10-13, 21:16

Moonchild wrote:Time will tell...
You, or one of your mods, must be very short on time considering it took just a few minutes for a post of mine to be erased.
If this is your philosophy, deleting opinions and waiting for users and devs to come your way, you'll need to get ready for a bumpy road ahead.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2014-10-14, 02:21

I've two questions regarding pseudo-static add-ons:
  • What exactly is meant by 'pseudo-static''?
  • If the original add-on developers won't bother adding Pale Moon support to their add-ons, do you plan on regularly updating the add-ons on the Pale Moon add-ons site and, if so, will Pale Moon automatically update the pseudo-static add-ons (if, of course, Pale Moon is set to automatically update add-ons)?
Apologies in advance if any of this has already been answered.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-14, 02:39

Pnume wrote:I've two questions regarding pseudo-static add-ons:
  • What exactly is meant by 'pseudo-static''?
  • If the original add-on developers won't bother adding Pale Moon support to their add-ons, do you plan on regularly updating the add-ons on the Pale Moon add-ons site and, if so, will Pale Moon automatically update the pseudo-static add-ons (if, of course, Pale Moon is set to automatically update add-ons)?
Apologies in advance if any of this has already been answered.
I have elsewhere defined it but perhaps this is the clearest and final explanation which may have all the points in one concise reply ;)

Pesudo-Static Add-ons in the short term are ones that are modified and tested to be known working versions.. Sort of a baseline. They are termed Psuedo-Static because they do have the potential to update as opposed to regular plain ol' static or fixed.

In the event that developers do not chose to add direct support for Pale Moon then those psuedo-static versions will be the baseline that would be used to go into a full proper fork of them as needed.

Right this moment we can only provide updates via add-ons direct from AMO which is another reason the psuedo-statics just don't install over the normal version but are seen as a different add-on by the manager. We change the identifier so that when it is passed to AMO it won't match and thus won't be overwritten in turn with a broken version. We will be supplementing the update system on the server with a process that checks our database (yet to be worked out completely) first and if it isn't found then pass the request to AMO.

We want to make sure Psuedo-Statics are fully operational which is why they aren't just popping up as quickly as perhaps many would prefer and we also don't want to screw up updates from AMO for add-ons that do work with a haphazardly implemented hybrid update system. It will come, trust me, but we don't want to make the situation worse without the proper testing. To do so would truly be no different than what Mozilla has done (despite misconceptions that our GUID change IS like that when it isn't).

I hope this answers your questions. Every bright future requires time, work, and understanding and we hope it will pay off in a major and spectacular way. Just because there are a few bumps on the road doesn't mean you should turn around and go back.

minimal-m

Re: Compatibility Reports for v25

Unread post by minimal-m » 2014-10-14, 17:40

Hey Tobin, I have a clone of 'Pentadactyl' that I will work on being compatible with Pale Moon (will wait for 25.0.1 first as it's bootstrapped), I don't think it has a very large user base.

Keep up the good work!

Beachcomber

Unread post by Beachcomber » 2014-10-14, 21:46

Checking for add-ons updates does not work either in add-ons manager or each individual add-on. Click on 'update' and nothing happens.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-14, 22:27

Beachcomber wrote:Checking for add-ons updates does not work either in add-ons manager or each individual add-on. Click on 'update' and nothing happens.
Yeah we figured it out. When I was testing it was before we had https so it works with http only.. but if you use https as an update url it has to have a cert that matches built in mozilla ones.. There is an undocumented pref that will be flipped in the future to resolve this.

if you want to do it now then go to about:config and add a new boolean extensions.update.requireBuiltInCerts set to false

MonoS

Unread post by MonoS » 2014-10-16, 08:01

Thank you, also the more i read your response the more i laugh, thanks also for this :D

NorrinRadd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2014-10-16, 11:51

mikeysc wrote:Name: Ghostery 5.41
Type: Extension
Issue: incompatible version #
Cause: Firefox min version number 26.0
Workaround: install checkCompatibility 1.3 extension; or edit xpi file; or stay with 5.40
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /ghostery/ (see versions page till approved)
Since Ghostery is not listed on the Known Incompatible Add-ons page, is this the recommended solution? (It does not install at all under PM 25.0.1.)

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 12:11

This is slightly off-topic, but it affects patching extensions to try to get them working in PM25.

A lot of the extensions I have installed were loaded directly off the web. I foolishly didn't save a copy of the installed xpi file, and some of the extensions have been superseded by ones likely to be incompatible (e.g. Australis-specific). I thought this was not a problem, since they have all been saved many times by FEBE. FEBE saves with a slightly different file name from the original, but I assumed the saved xpi would be a valid zip file.

When I open one of these FEBE xpi files with WinZip it opens OK and files can be extracted. So far so good, so I open install.rdf in Notepad2 and edit in the Palemoon GUID section as suggested. Then when I save the file, WinZip asks me whether I want to update the original, and I click Yes, WinZip says "Error: Unsupported or invalid Zip file structure".

I can unzip the entire file, edit install.rdf, and then zip the whole lot up into a new file, but obviously that takes a lot more fiddling about than simply editing one file and saving it.

Has anyone else had this problem, and possibly found a solution?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-16, 12:23

No.. editing the xpi is at your own risk and we will not provide support. Known incompat page will be updated soon.

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 12:31

Matt A Tobin wrote:No.. editing the xpi is at your own risk and we will not provide support. Known incompat page will be updated soon.
I'm not asking for formal support, or even a response from the developers. I just wanted to know whether any other users had experienced the problem and possibly found a way around it.

The likely issue is a quirk with WinZip and/or FEBE, so this is not a complaint against Palemoon. Please don't take everything so seriously.

Editing files like install.rdf and chrome.manifest is suggested in several threads in these forums. I was under the impression that users were encouraged to find and share their own fixes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-16, 12:38

And discouraged by others like my self. Including in this very thread.