Add-ons Site General Discussion

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: In-progress Development Discussion

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-04, 15:36

It just comes down to personal preference add-on listing. Right now, I can go either way. Maybe when it comes to down to how many listings there will be and a screenshot of them, then that would probably make me change my mind at that time.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 16:07

At the moment it will be in either two or three columns depending on the two widths.. and it will display ALL addons in a particular category. A limitation in the underlining software. (Least the way I am doing it using the menu generator functionality for now.. a better implementation may present its self in the future) The order will be more or less alphabetical. This should be fine in that if you are looking for an addon by category you really have no particular add-on in mind. I am doing more or less alphabetical so that there won't be much in the way of bias. Though, there will be some "Commonly used" ones at the top.

As an aside: I really don't think this will become a problem until there are more than couple hundred in a particular category.. by then I hope to have a better solution ready..

The BASIC search should allow you to find a particular add-on by name.

You have to understand that really our addons site will cater to our users not some point arbitrary ranking system and what is on the add-ons site will be determined by you. There is no intention of trying to re-index all of AMO especially seeing as many add-ons are broken, old, or just so useless no one would use them. Also in the near term our site is a first point supplicant to AMO rather than a complete replacement.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-10-04, 18:31

Matt A Tobin wrote: It helps when you really don't have much else going on in your life.. Well I have my site and such.. but unlike my own stuff this lets me contribute to something i feel is very important and am passionate about that could help many many others.
T, Your statement is a tad contradictory. The fact that you're contributing as you are to an important project benefiting others is at odds with an otherwise humble status description. In my mind the former is quantified by the latter. :thumbup:

access2godzilla

Re: General Thread

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-09, 05:02

Also... now that we have one dev submitting his/her theme, can this be put up on the addons site?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-09, 11:15

Yes, of course.. Things will be starting to appear on the site today.

EDIT:

Styling still needs a bit of work.. but..

The Page on the Add-ons site is here: https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/modern/kempelton-reloaded/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-09, 17:22

I have relocked the width to 800px because I simply don't have enough content (like a sidebar full of stuff) to justify the wider mode of the site. This will keep it in line with the main Pale Moon website as well so you are just going to have to deal..

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-10-09, 17:38

The new add-ons website looks and works great. Thank you.

How will min-version and max-version be handled?

My druthers is that min-version and max-version should be irrelevant. That is, only add-ons compatible with the latest Pale Moon release should be available for download from the Pale Moon website. Add-ons that become incompatible with new Pale Moon versions, or add-ons for which new issues surface-- these add-ons would simply be delisted or removed, until incompatibility and other issues were fixed.

That would make the Pale Moon add-on website experience similar to the Chrome Store, where extension or apps compatibility never even comes up, for the typical user. And, it focuses the user on one of Pale Moon's strengths over Firefox. That is, no more add-on incompatibility from forced and rapid changes in the UI.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-09, 17:53

riiis wrote:The new add-ons website looks and works great. Thank you.

How will min-version and max-version be handled?

My druthers is that min-version and max-version should be irrelevant. That is, only add-ons compatible with the latest Pale Moon release should be available for download from the Pale Moon website. Add-ons that become incompatible with new Pale Moon versions, or add-ons for which new issues surface-- these add-ons would simply be delisted or removed, until incompatibility and other issues were fixed.

That would make the Pale Moon add-on website experience similar to the Chrome Store, where extension or apps compatibility never even comes up, for the typical user. And, it focuses the user on one of Pale Moon's strengths over Firefox. That is, no more add-on incompatibility from forced and rapid changes in the UI.
Well it still matters just not as much since we aim to always keep compatibility as best we can.. and of course the add-on manager's addon install routine has logic to that effect.. But in general we won't have that kind of issue like Firefox does..

There is one thing about Firefox add-ons that have become incompatible due to the GUID change.. We will like I have said before try to contact the developer and see if they will add Pale Moon support but very few have even responded let alone done that.. In that case we will be forking and modifying these add-ons our selves and providing them as what i have termed "pseudo-static" versions.

That is while they will be versions known tand modified to work with Pale Moon they also will also follow in general the guideline of "If it aint broke..." This way we can provide add-ons for our users that CAN get updates but in general they really don't need to be touched if they work and have no pressing issues like security or anything. Until such time the original developer changes their mind (assuming it isn't abandoned) or someone from our great community steps up and takes over normal maintenance.

There is no hard logic to including or excluding an addon from results and category listings in the v1 site.. though the second generation site may have this ablity if it is deemed important.. Though i am hesitant to add such a feature because like Firefox add-ons there may be no technical reason an add-on can't work except it is thrown out based soley on the browser's current version..

In the short term our add-ons site has two functions.. indexing add-ons and providing a central location for our specific ones..

Hope this answers your question, least in part.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Replacement for "Self-Destructing Cookies" in PM25

Unread post by riiis » 2014-10-10, 00:44

The "Self-Destructing Cookies" extension appears incompatible with Pale Moon version 25, with no fix currently available. So, as part of my planned update to Pale Moon version 25, I've gone ahead and replaced "Self-Destructing Cookies" with a similar cookie manager, Cookie Whitelist, With Buttons 2.2.1. "Cookie Whitelist" is very compatible with "Self-Destructing Cookies" and has the same capabilities, albeit with slightly different procedures for managing cookies.

First, "Cookie Whitelist, With Buttons 3.0" is available, and may install from AMO. But version 3.0 of this extension is not compatible with Pale Moon. So, be sure to install only "Cookie Whitelist, With Buttons 2.2.1".
Second, "Cookie Whitelist", once installed, is destructive of cookies not on the whitelist. So, make a backup copy of your "cookies,sqlite" file in your profile, before installing "Cookie Whitelist" or any other new cookie manager. Also note, the whitelist used by "Cookie Whitelist" is the same as the "exceptions..." list in Pale Moon options.
Cookie Whitelist Options.jpg
Cookie Whitelist Options.jpg (45.66 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
1. After first installing "Cookie Whitelist", but before exiting Pale Moon, consider temporarily unchecking "Remove cookies from unlisted websites". This will prevent accidental destruction of cookies, while you get use to the "Cookie Whitelist" extension. After learning "Cookie Whitelist", go back into options and recheck this item.
2. Select "When Firefox starts: Turn the Cookie button on". This results in the same behavior as the "Self-Destructing Cookies" extension.
3. "Cookie Whitelist" has two toolbar buttons, a "Cookie" button and a "Whitelist" button. Select "Show both buttons" if you want to use the "Cookie" button to destroy cookies without needing to exit Pale Moon (same as "Self-Destructing Cookies"). Otherwise, select "Show the Whitelist button".
4. In Pale Moon options, select "Use custom settings for history" and "Accept cookies from sites". And I never accept third-party cookies.

EDIT: Pale Moon 25.0.1 has been released. "Self-Destructing Cookies" is compatible with this updated PM 25.
Last edited by riiis on 2014-10-15, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-10, 03:00

>if they will add
>Pale Moon support but very few have even
>responded let alone done that..

Can we have the numbers on this?

BTW, is it possible to tell whether an FF extension may not work in PM 25 without testing? Extensions that are targeted for multiple applications are the usual suspects, but I would like to know more on this.

dark_moon

Re: Replacement for "Self-Destructing Cookies" in PM25

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-10-10, 07:21

Another good cookie addon is Cookie Monster, which i use.

You can use a whitelist and have all the options what you need.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-10, 08:49

access2godzilla wrote:>if they will add
>Pale Moon support but very few have even
>responded let alone done that..

Can we have the numbers on this?

BTW, is it possible to tell whether an FF extension may not work in PM 25 without testing? Extensions that are targeted for multiple applications are the usual suspects, but I would like to know more on this.
In most but not all cases.. if a particular add-on worked in 24.7 it SHOULD work in v25 but the chrome.manifest/bootstrap.js may need adjustment to account for the GUID change.

There are a few jetpack ones that refuse to work regardless and we are not sure why..

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2014-10-10, 19:25

One small (depending on your viewpoint) question: Will there be a way to view source code of addons, in particular potential pseudo-static ones where code has been altered to work with PM25? I ask because most of the addons on AMO are licensed under some form of GPL; AMO gets around this by letting you view inside the packed XPI from the addon page.

Understandable if this isn't a priority, though license violation could be a problem if not addressed...

I circumvented this by hosting on GitHub personally, though I doubt this would be achievable for the scale required for your site of course.
Last edited by Lootyhoof on 2014-10-10, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-10, 19:45

Lootyhoof wrote:One small (depending on your viewpoint) question: Will there be a way to view source code of addons, in particular potential pseudo-static ones where code has been altered to work with PM25? I ask because most of the addons on AMO are licensed under some form of GPL; AMO gets around this by letting you view inside the packed XPI from the addon page.
xpi files are regular zip archives. rename them to .zip and you can open them with any zip-supporting program (including explorer). All files inside are usually plain text for your inspection.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2014-10-10, 20:02

This is correct, and I think I had a bit of a silly moment - do excuse me! :oops:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-10, 20:06

Every effort will be made to obey the license that it released under of course.

Kali67

Unread post by Kali67 » 2014-10-11, 16:28

On the web site: https://play.google.com/store the search bar is not visible.

On the web site: http://www.google.pl/imghp?hl=pl&tab=8i
(f.e. http://www.google.pl/search?tbm=isch&hl ... 9v7g_6tsH0)
all the images are presented differently like before upgrade PM to v25. When you click on the image occurs immediately redirected to a web page with the image. No longer available preview images after click on a one.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-11, 17:08

Tobin, can you push out an update/search mechanism for addons? I understand its early days but most people are going to require this.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-11, 17:11

access2godzilla wrote:Tobin, can you push out an update/search mechanism for addons? I understand its early days but most people are going to require this.
Right now add-on manager integration passes through to AMO. I have not yet devised a solution to integrate our add-ons with amo ones and serve them to the add-on manager. This is planned and will be deployed as soon as is possible. But it could still be a while. For now if you are looking for add-ons check the Pale Moon add-ons site first as the add-on manager is only pulling from amo atm.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-11, 17:13

Kali67 wrote:On the web site: https://play.google.com/store the search bar is not visible.

On the web site: http://www.google.pl/imghp?hl=pl&tab=8i
(f.e. http://www.google.pl/search?tbm=isch&hl ... 9v7g_6tsH0)
all the images are presented differently like before upgrade PM to v25. When you click on the image occurs immediately redirected to a web page with the image. No longer available preview images after click on a one.
Tell google about for sure but a workaround is a site specific user agent override. Check the release notes for instructions and search the forum.