Add-ons Site General Discussion

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Compatibility Reports for v25

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 12:56

OK, I understand.

Now, does anyone know anything about the possible incompatibility between FEBE-saved xpi files and WinZip, please? I'll take full responsibility for any damage I may do to my installation if I choose to follow any advice posted here.

Edit: Some of the add-ons I use are rather obscure and some have already been patched for compatibility with Firefox updates. I think it would be unreasonable of me to expect the PM developers to patch all of them for me.

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2014-10-16, 14:33

Hey man, they patched FoxClocks. I considered that extension pretty obscure but then again, who knows how many people are really using any given addon?

I think the majority of PM users are those that loved the flexibility of the old FF that was a simple PC based browser that could be molded into what they wanted with extensions. (As opposed to this recent crappy trend/idea where all PCs should be made to work like mobile phones.) As with any piece of software, if some lack of functionality or perceived problem was big enough that someone was willing to take the time to develop it, chances are there are plenty of others that will appreciate the solution.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 14:47

gi_jimbo wrote:Hey man, they patched FoxClocks. I considered that extension pretty obscure but then again, who knows how many people are really using any given addon?

I think the majority of PM users are those that loved the flexibility of the old FF that was a simple PC based browser that could be molded into what they wanted with extensions. (As opposed to this recent crappy trend/idea where all PCs should be made to work like mobile phones.) As with any piece of software, if some lack of functionality or perceived problem was big enough that someone was willing to take the time to develop it, chances are there are plenty of others that will appreciate the solution.
If I had demanded that all of my add-ons should be patched by the PM developers then I would expect to be justly criticised. It seems rather odd, though, that I should be criticised for trying to do some of the work myself.

The fact is I am attempting to patch a few add-ons myself, if for no better reason than to learn how it is done. Who knows, one day I may even write an add-on of my own. If a better, official patched version of any add-on is released in the future, and it works for me, then I will be happy to update to it.

Anyway, all I asked was whether anyone else had encountered an incompatibility between WinZip and FEBE-generated xpi files, and possibly had a work-around for it.

rd14407

Unread post by rd14407 » 2014-10-16, 16:09

When I first found that the Bamboo feed reader didn't work under PM25, I e-mailled the developer, who finally replied with:
Hello,

i will not add support for all Firefox based browsers.
If the browser should be compatible with Firefox add-ons so the Palemoon team should correct this.

Regards,
Julien
As I mentioned in another thread, another user's edit allowed me to get Bamboo to work, and I see that there is a pseudo-static version offered, but I guess the above means that the PM devs will have to keep maintaining the pseudo-static version.

Gordon Dry
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gordon Dry » 2014-10-16, 16:20

Venom3D wrote:I can confirm Nightly Tester Tools can be fixed by editing chrome.manifest. I wasn't able to get a working xpi file (It kept saying "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."), so I edited the installed extension in my profile.

I got it working again by adding the following:

Code: Select all

# Pale Moon chrome
overlay      chrome://browser/content/browser.xul                     chrome://nightly/content/browserOverlay.xul              application={8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}
I haven't tested it in Firefox, but then again, Firefox can use the original extension just fine.
Thank you, I only use Nightly Tester Tools to change the title bar, because I'm used to see the full version string incl. build number, not just "Pale Moon" and that's it...

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 16:25

Venom3D wrote:I can confirm Nightly Tester Tools can be fixed by editing chrome.manifest. I wasn't able to get a working xpi file (It kept saying "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."), so I edited the installed extension in my profile.
I have also seen this error message when trying to install an xpi file where I have modified install.rdf to include the Palemoon GUID section.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-10-16, 16:33

Trinoc wrote:Now, does anyone know anything about the possible incompatibility between FEBE-saved xpi files and WinZip, please? I'll take full responsibility for any damage I may do to my installation if I choose to follow any advice posted here.
Try WinRAR or 7Zip, they are better. Also try extracting everything first then zip/xpi back, instead of working directly on a temporarily extracted file.

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 16:59

back2themoon wrote:Try WinRAR or 7Zip, they are better. Also try extracting everything first then zip/xpi back, instead of working directly on a temporarily extracted file.
Thanks. 7Zip seems to work, including the option to edit a file and replace it in situ. I just tried it on MinimizeToTrayrevived 1.1.2 and the resulting xpi installed OK (though it doesn't actually minimize to tray yet, but that's another problem).

I know extracting everything and then creating a whole new xpi file should work, but it's a bit fiddly when doing essentially the same changes to a whole batch of files, and rather more prone to making mistakes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: General Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-16, 17:00

You do realize that the next update for that add-on will overwrite your edited version right? This is another reason we discourage and don't provide support for user edited add-ons.

Why can't you wait for psuedo-statics? There will be several more popping up by the end of the day.

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 17:10

Matt A Tobin wrote:You do realize that the next update for that add-on will overwrite your edited version right? This is another reason we discourage and don't provide support for user edited add-ons.

Why can't you wait for psuedo-statics? There will be several more popping up by the end of the day.
This is just an experiment to see whether I can do it. I've used similar edits in the past to get abandoned add-ons to work in later versions of Firefox. I don't let add-ons update automatically, though if this became a problem I understand there is an add-on identifier somewhere that I can change to prevent it getting recognised for an update .. the "em:id" field, perhaps?

Anyway, I'm in no hurry to move to PM25. Minimize To Tray is one of those trivial add-ons which I would be lost without since I'd always be closing the application accidentally by clicking on the cross (I've done this since Firefox 3, so it's not a habit I'm likely to get out of easily). As soon as you have a pseudo-static version of Minimize To Tray to release, I'll be very happy to remove mine (which as I say doesn't work yet anyway) and install yours instead.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-16, 17:17

Yeah I have it working I am just determining exactly what it minimizes.. Cause the classic downloads window nor the library window minimize.. mikeysc says it acted this way in 24 but i am also checking firefox behavior..

Remember I want to make sure psuedo-statics are fully functional before posting.. My goals for today are to update known incompat list, get many psuedo-statics there and get some working external links to amo done.. I did take somewhat of a break yesterday because i been dealing with this for nearly a week now.. and my house needed picked up after days spent at my console :P

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 18:16

Matt A Tobin wrote:Yeah I have it working I am just determining exactly what it minimizes.. Cause the classic downloads window nor the library window minimize.. mikeysc says it acted this way in 24 but i am also checking firefox behavior..

Remember I want to make sure psuedo-statics are fully functional before posting.. My goals for today are to update known incompat list, get many psuedo-statics there and get some working external links to amo done.. I did take somewhat of a break yesterday because i been dealing with this for nearly a week now.. and my house needed picked up after days spent at my console :P
Yes, all of the Minimize To Tray add-ons I have ever used have had little oddities that I had to remember to work around, including in PM24 (and earlier) and Firefox 3 (different add-on version). None of the add-ons seem to get it exactly right, which is why I think this is one of the few add-on features that should be an option in the main software (not just PM but in any app that is typically left running for a long time) -- but that's a debate for another time!

My main annoyance with the Minimize To Tray add-on is that it doesn't distinguish the last window closed from any subsidiary or pop-up windows (at least for some pop-ups. I have MTT set to minimize to tray on close (the standard minimize icon just moves only that window to the taskbar, which is how I personally want it). What I would like it to do is for clicking the close cross to close any window except the last one open, but for the last one move PM to an icon in the system tray, leaving the app running. What actually happens is that if I have more than one window open and close them with the cross, each one gets minimized to the tray which fills up with a row of indistinguishable Palemoon icons. I have to remember instead to close secondary windows by centre-clicking the taskbar entry. Mildly annoying but I can live with it.

It would be nice if there were an option to leave the Palemoon icon in the system tray even when PM is on the desktop, but I guess that is a feature request and beyond the scope of the current exercise.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-10-16, 18:38

We do not add functionality to the extensions, we just try to make them compatible. If someone wants to fork and maintain an extension they could improve it.

FF made major changes to the download manager in v26 that may alter function, but testing with FF is outside my scope. (insert what Rhett said to Scarlet)

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-16, 18:51

mikeysc wrote:We do not add functionality to the extensions, we just try to make them compatible. If someone wants to fork and maintain an extension they could improve it.
Of course. Hence my disclaimer at the end.
FF made major changes to the download manager in v26 that may alter function, but testing with FF is outside my scope. (insert what Rhett said to Scarlet)
Neither a damn do I give about Firefox. MTT Revived 1.1.2 works fine in PM24 apart from the minor niggles I mentioned, which I can live with. My main point was that if these are the same issues you found, then they are a function of the MTT add-on as supplied, and not of the update to PM25.

Edit: I just checked out the download manager window in PM24 (with the Download Manager Tweak 0.9.8 add-on, so it might be different from the default download manager). If I display the main PM window on the desktop, open the download window, and then click the cross on the main window, the main window minimizes to the tray and the download window stays up, as expected. If I click the cross on the download window it closes (not to the tray), which is also good. However, if I open a second main browser window (Ctrl-N) then click the cross on either browser window, both windows go to the system tray, displaying two PM icons in the tray. Not ideal behaviour if one had multiple windows open rather than just using tabs, but it's a feature of MTT and probably nothing to do with PM.

CharlesCS

Unread post by CharlesCS » 2014-10-18, 20:48

[NOTE: Report and related discussion moved -Tobin]

Name: iGive 5.0.0.5
Type: Extension
Issue: Can install after tweaking the UserAgent string to remove 'Palemoon', but the iframe to authorize use of iGive on a supported site only contains the word "undefined" and cannot be deleted or removed.
Cause: Probable GUID mismatch
Workaround: None. Disable or remove the extension.
AMO: http://www.igive.com/button/ (not at AMO, independent install site).

This extension allows you to direct partner shopping sites to donate a percentage of your purchase price to your charity of choice. Life goes on without it, but my chosen charity isn't getting the donation without this extension.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-18, 21:06

CharlesCS wrote:Name: iGive 5.0.0.5
Type: Extension
Issue: Can install after tweaking the UserAgent string to remove 'Palemoon', but the iframe to authorize use of iGive on a supported site only contains the word "undefined" and cannot be deleted or removed.
Cause: Probable GUID mismatch
Workaround: None. Disable or remove the extension.
AMO: http://www.igive.com/button/ (not at AMO, independent install site).

This extension allows you to direct partner shopping sites to donate a percentage of your purchase price to your charity of choice. Life goes on without it, but my chosen charity isn't getting the donation without this extension.
This is something iGive, as an online service, has to fix. Their extension obviously closely integrates with their online service and that service should provide direct support for Pale Moon. We can't do anything about it. Please contact iGive and ask them to provide proper support for Pale Moon or (preferably) stop UA sniffing altogether.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Add-ons Site General Discussion

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-19, 06:53

Will Pittenger wrote:
CharlesCS wrote:AMO: http://www.igive.com/button/ (not at AMO, independent install site).
CharesCS, I don't know about this extension, but, in general, it's risky to trust an extension that isn't listed in AMO (or at least APO now that we have it). AMO does some analysis to check for malware for you.
And I look at the code for add-ons that get listed no matter if they are Pseudo-Statics, Forked, or Externals (AMO or from independent vendor)

access2godzilla

Use em:updateURL to manage updates

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-19, 11:48

Since the addons site does not have an autoupdate mechanism, can defining em:updateURL be considered?

More information is here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... #updateURL

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Use em:updateURL to manage updates

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-19, 15:28

No, I considered that but once I have the general mechinism done I will have to edit every add-on again and remove that. No.

It would be best if you would quit assuming I am not intimately familiar with Mozilla based code, technology, and mechanisms.

rd14407

Re: Add-ons Site General Discussion

Unread post by rd14407 » 2014-10-19, 17:03

Earlier I asked about the RequestPolicy add-on, the old vs. the new "continued".

The "it just works" thread reports that the new RequestPolicy works, but I found that while it appears to install, it doesn't actually work properly. The old one seems to work properly.

Has someone really tested installing the new "Continued" RequestPolicy, and had their old rules import properly?