Add-ons Site General Discussion

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Supernova

Re: Pale Moon Addons Site - General Thread

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-09-28, 22:34

Nice :)

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-09-29, 06:18

The configuration that you are using for the addons site actually supports communicating with PM addon manager? (From the above screenshot I would guess so. Or is it just a mockup?)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-29, 07:41

access2godzilla wrote:The configuration that you are using for the addons site actually supports communicating with PM addon manager? (From the above screenshot I would guess so. Or is it just a mockup?)
extensions.webservice.discoverURL is used. Also as for other URLs for the add-on manager they will be set in v25 to go to specific locations on our add-ons site. Of course since facilities and capabilities are limited in the short term and to start out with those will be translated back to their AMO locations.

This will allow us when we are ready to take over those functions by we simply remaping the static URI locations to where we need to. This way when a switchover is ready it will be transparent to the end user and no update or configuration change will have to be made in the program after v25.

In addition, what you see in the screenshot is live and I am nearly done establishing the translation for url prefs. When they have been tested I will make a patch with the updated preferences to trunk and it will be reflected in the next build.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-02, 12:13

Well you guys wanted to see the site as it is being worked on.. Well it is at http://addons.palemoon.org/ (ssl later). Though I don't know how impressed you will be with it but I guess it is always fun to watch things happening!

Ask, reflect, suggest!

Also YES at this point it is VERY much in-progress so please don't point out that things don't work (unless it seems fatal).

New Tobin Paradigm

In-progress Development Discussion

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-02, 19:26

Current Status:

- CMS is installed
- Template Converted
- nginx tryfiles and cms "pretty" urls work
- SSL is default
- 404s intercepted by nginx
- BASIC search works (try word gamma or addon)

TODO:

- Everything else :roll:

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-10-02, 19:53

Nice work! :thumbup:

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-04, 06:32

What OS and CMS does addons.palemoon.org run on?

(I was thinking of contributing a few scripts that could perhaps be run on the server, for automated add-on conversion. However, if it's windows then there's a problem...)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 07:28

access2godzilla wrote:What OS and CMS does addons.palemoon.org run on?

(I was thinking of contributing a few scripts that could perhaps be run on the server, for automated add-on conversion. However, if it's windows then there's a problem...)
CentOS 7 on an OpenVZ based VPS

Pretty well all info related to PHP is listed here: http://operations.binocnetwork.com/

The current software for content management is CMS Made Simple

Though I would wonder what you mean by scripts that would do automatic add-on conversion.. This is something that can't be left to automated systems.. Yes you could parse and edit install.rdf or chrome.manifest but there are OTHER issues you would have to account for.. Like if it uses jetpack or is CustomizableUI only.. and the like...

Remember our goal is to provide listing and hosting of Pale Moon only add-ons and track those Firefox add-ons that are compatible with Pale Moon. We are not in a position at this time to REPLACE AMO.. Start as a supplicant. That being said.. It is the long term goal to make using AMO unnecessary for Pale Moon users.

Also let me be clear about this .. again.. The First Generation Site has NO Capability of arbitrary accounts and self submission. We will for the time being be leveraging the forum for this. Only Binary Outcast Personnel and those on the Pale Moon Project Staff who volunteer their time will be given DIRECT access to the backend of the site after necessary training in procedure has been given.

It is the hope that access can be expanded on a case by case basis after the foundation is finalized and of course the concept of self submission, account management, etc will be a core part of the Second Generation site.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-04, 10:30

Matt A Tobin wrote:Though I would wonder what you mean by scripts that would do automatic add-on conversion.. This is something that can't be left to automated systems.. Yes you could parse and edit install.rdf or chrome.manifest but there are OTHER issues you would have to account for.. Like if it uses jetpack or is CustomizableUI only.. and the like...
Something similar to the one that exists for Seamonkey, i.e. allow users to convert Firefox extensions that don't work in Pale Moon out-of-the-box.

Regarding Australis UI-only extensions: could there be a quick way to achieve compatibility, by, for example, directly embedding CustomisableUI.jsm in the addon?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 10:52

access2godzilla wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:Though I would wonder what you mean by scripts that would do automatic add-on conversion.. This is something that can't be left to automated systems.. Yes you could parse and edit install.rdf or chrome.manifest but there are OTHER issues you would have to account for.. Like if it uses jetpack or is CustomizableUI only.. and the like...
Something similar to the one that exists for Seamonkey, i.e. allow users to convert Firefox extensions that don't work in Pale Moon out-of-the-box.

Regarding Australis UI-only extensions: could there be a quick way to achieve compatibility, by, for example, directly embedding CustomisableUI.jsm in the addon?
You don't understand how CustomizableUI works.. it has to be provided in the browser xul as well in jetpack.. This is not something we are going to support any time soon if EVER. We currently have static esr24 level support for jetpack extensions and traditional toolkit/xul based ones.

Also I am well aware of that script for Seamonkey.. It or something like it is not applicable to what we are doing. There MUST be a person behind checking these addons out.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 10:53

Current Status: Check out the demo of how extension categories will work and look: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... d-updates/

Also I have re-locked the page width to 800px.

Please comment.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-10-04, 11:15

Hmm the demo show what? 1 link to AMO, 1 with text and 1 with a blank site.

Width: Why just not jusing a % instant of px? 800px is not much with a big resolution. I have 1920x1080px and maybe you need some more width later.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 11:35

dark_moon wrote:Hmm the demo show what? 1 link to AMO, 1 with text and 1 with a blank site.

Width: Why just not jusing a % instant of px? 800px is not much with a big resolution. I have 1920x1080px and maybe you need some more width later.
I said it was a demo of the category page view.. Also 800px is what the main Pale Moon site uses.. I did have it using a fluid width and it works great at either 1200 or 800 but in-between it was a problem for the in-line blocks.. Really I am gonna have to use a fixed width.. Every time I try for a fluid one I always get unpredictable results.. That being said.. if a vast majority would prefer the 1200px width please say so here..

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-04, 11:57

If you could get a fluid layout to work, it would be preferable. A fixed width of 1200 px though would be too large.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 13:00

dark_moon wrote:Width: Why just not jusing a % instant of px? 800px is not much with a big resolution. I have 1920x1080px and maybe you need some more width later.
access2godzilla wrote:If you could get a fluid layout to work, it would be preferable. A fixed width of 1200 px though would be too large.
There.. try now.. does that satisfy your requirements width wise?

The problem with fluid width is not knowing exactly how things will react inbetween the min and max.. this way I can know it will either be 800px wide or 1200px wide just because of the absolute widths of things like the inline-blocks

That is as FAR as I am willing to go to accommodate people on this point

That being said, for the forum (which will get this same template eventually) I am all for fluidity with just a min-width.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-04, 13:09

Looks fine here with a width which extends near to 1500px.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: In-progress Development Discussion

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 13:36

Decided to split this off from General Thread.. Because it will get more active for the next week or so with alot of discussion as things happen.. Community involvement in development of this site AS IT HAPPENS! :thumbup:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-04, 13:44

@Matt A Tobin

It looks good on my computer! :) I know it takes lots of work to do this on your own time and I appreciate your help in what you're doing for Pale Moon. :thumbup:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-04, 13:54

Night Wing wrote:@Matt A Tobin

It looks good on my computer! :) I know it takes lots of work to do this on your own time and I appreciate your help in what you're doing for Pale Moon. :thumbup:
It helps when you really don't have much else going on in your life.. Well I have my site and such.. but unlike my own stuff this lets me contribute to something i feel is very important and am passionate about that could help many many others.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-04, 15:27

That looks much better :)

A question: will the addon listing be multi-column as shown? I personally prefer a single-column listing. What do other members have to say about it?