reviews, ratings, extratopical posts

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

reviews, ratings, extratopical posts

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2020-02-10, 22:33

Seconding the idea that reviews/comments would be nice. Not just for saying "meh" or "great", but also for comments potentially useful to users or devs like "Incompatible with Foo. A work around is to set pref A to value α." or "Function 5 doesn't work in environment X."

Looking at the thread titles gave me a LOL moment. Maybe y'all need a front page saying what the subforum's topic and is not in very large font, with an "I understand button."
"To attempt to silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." - John Bryant

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: reviews, ratings, extratopical posts

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-02-11, 01:34

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:
2020-02-10, 22:33
Looking at the thread titles gave me a LOL moment. Maybe y'all need a front page saying what the subforum's topic and is not in very large font, with an "I understand button."
This is a standard phpBB forum, similar to thousands of others online, so the feature set is pretty much the same as the rest. Every subforum has a bunch of pinned/sticky posts at the top about rules and 'read this first' and FAQ and troubleshooting information (the latter in General Support). If people lack the patience to read or search and just dive in like retarded chimps to ask the same fucking questions over and over(seen recently with the Youtube site change), refuse to provide troubleshooting info or (my favorite) report problems without even mentioning the link to the page in question - there's little that can be done, and can't really blame Tobin or MC for roasting them proper.

Most of what people need for help would go under 'General support'.
Instead, you see them filing posts under Bugs (Windows/Linux) when it is clearly a problem they alone face. A bug would be non compliance to the standards for HTML/CSS/Javascript, or a process crash or other unexpected behavior in response to a standard environment, and the onus is pretty much high on the reporter to prove that it is an actual bug and not a problem with their setup.

And then there's the 'Suggestions/feature requests' board - again people show up here asking for features without looking for an extension that does the job. 99% of things you want the browser to do are better suited to an extension (that's the whole point of having a fully customizable XUL based browser instead of a bloated one size fits all that the opposition have become).

The internet has been mainstream for more than a generation now, and people acting this clueless about how to frame questions and follow the rules of online communities is akin to an average person not knowing how to operate a television in the 90s.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: reviews, ratings, extratopical posts

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-11, 09:19

To make a point this thread was ALSO started in the absolute wrong board. What does this have to do with the add-ons website? Nothing.

Moving to where it belongs (which is the next board over which you would have seen when navigating to this one)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite