Attempting submit my own addon listed on Mozillas Addon-ons site - who do I contact?

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
vanowm

Attempting submit my own addon listed on Mozillas Addon-ons site - who do I contact?

Unread post by vanowm » 2019-09-11, 00:31

I was trying submit my addon and got this message:
Unable to Comply
  • The add-on id masterpasswordtimeoutplus@vano is known to have existed on the Mozilla Add-ons Site.
  • If you are the original developer of this add-on, you will need to contact a member of the Add-ons Team or a Phoebus Administrator to check the validity of this submission and verify your identity.
  • If this add-on is a proper fork, you can simply change the add-on's id and submit again.
The message is pretty useless as it contain no specific information about who exactly or even where do I contact them from.

So who do I contact?

Thank you.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Attempting submit my own addon listed on Mozillas Addon-ons site - who do I contact?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-09-11, 01:03

vanowm wrote:
2019-09-11, 00:31
So who do I contact?
Probably Lootyhoof.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Attempting submit my own addon listed on Mozillas Addon-ons site - who do I contact?

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-09-11, 01:32

If you send me a PM here on the forums with the XPI and the details you'd like on the page, plus your Phoebus username then I'll get this added to your account for you. It won't be an issue for updates, only for the initial listing.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-09-11, 03:04

(The little that I know...)

In install.rdf, change <em:id>masterpasswordtimeoutplus@vano</em:id> to "your" id.
You can't use someone else's.

Or are you the same "vano"?

You can sign through Mozilla, for yourself, but you can't host it there, for others, because it's not a webextension.

Or are you looking to host it on PM's addons site?

(Some might say signing is of dubious value. Can't hurt I suppose. PM does not require it. Actually, it looks like PM disregards any META-INF entirely. Is that right? Hmm. Take what I've stated with a grain, or two.)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-11, 03:18

therube wrote:
2019-09-11, 03:04
(The little that I know...)

In install.rdf, change <em:id>masterpasswordtimeoutplus@vano</em:id> to "your" id.
You can't use someone else's.

Or are you the same "vano"?

You can sign through Mozilla, for yourself, but you can't host it there, for others, because it's not a webextension.

Or are you looking to host it on PM's addons site?

(Some might say signing is of dubious value. Can't hurt I suppose. PM does not require it. Actually, it looks like PM disregards any META-INF entirely. Is that right? Hmm. Take what I've stated with a grain, or two.)
He's the original author :)
I had messaged him on Github about porting the extension to PM - what I hadn't noticed was that it already does target PM since it shows up with a blue circle in the addons window. So it should be portable right as it is.

@vanowm - I am not sure but I think you may have to change the application ID to something else before publishing so that it can use Pale Moon's addon update service. Given that you're not going to be able to develop this further for post 56 Firefox anyway.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-09-11, 03:58

@moonbat, did you install it?
I can't really make sense of it, cause I'm not sure what it's supposed to do for me, nor what I expect to see happen?

Anyhow, its options & all look to work.
And as it is, it's hosted on ATN, https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -password/.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-11, 04:39

Yeah, I did. It improves the master password feature - you can make PM exit if the wrong password was entered, for example, and suppress multiple password prompts. See the description on CAA.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-11, 05:48

To protect users and prevent potental claims of us highjacking people's browsers via the Add-ons Update Service updating a previously installed Firefox extension or stealing code or somesuch bs.. Submitting extensions to the Add-ons Site that are known have been one of the 19k+ that existed on AMO (by add-on id) is forbidden until the identity of the developer is verified.

All a developer has to do is contact a Phoebus Administrator or a Member of the Add-ons Team and if one of those isn't me they will tell me to release the ID from the AMO table of IDs once they have confirmed the things. No biggy.

Also, prevents shitforking. That is some wackjob trying to reupload half the pre-webex AMO library.

Btw, you can thank riiis for inspiring this policy and the technical means of implementing it as he threatened to do just that not only taking control of developer's original IDs but shoving it down everyone's browsers because he didn't see any reason to respect people's rights or security. Let alone the position it would put us all in. He ragequit shortly after the confrontation.

Indeed, riiis is responsible for many things that have enhanced the quality of service as well as development of policy for the Add-ons Site and the Phoebus software. I'd say I owe him a debt of gratitude but the guy was a constant asshole who loved to blaitantly not follow simple instructions and find ways to bust the Add-ons Site or get away with something less than reputable. As well as a key member in the events of the latter half of 2016. So feel free to fork his extensions. License permitting, of course.

vanowm

Unread post by vanowm » 2019-09-11, 11:07

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-11, 05:48
All a developer has to do is contact a Phoebus Administrator or a Member of the Add-ons Team and if one of those isn't me they will tell me to release the ID from the AMO table of IDs once they have confirmed the things. No biggy.
Would be nice if such information with links to contact page (who is " a Phoebus Administrator or a Member of Add-ons Team"?) was available directly in the "Unable to Comply" message. Call me lazy, but if it wasn't for request at addon's github page, I would just give up right there...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-11, 15:51

You are of course quite correct. A better solution will come in the next version of the software.

You have to understand that we have tried for five years to bring Firefox extension developers over and have met with very limited success and the Panel with self service is new this year. Before new submissions required the Add-ons Team to setup each add-on initally and since the Panel landed only one Firefox add-on developer before you did the thing.

Why so few? Most are just gone never to be seen again, others just ignored the request, a few attacked us for asking, and the rest bought into webextension lie.

vanowm

Unread post by vanowm » 2019-09-11, 22:47

Oh, just looked through old emails, evidently I'm in the second category, ignored the invitation 2 years ago...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-11, 23:28

Oh yeah? Well better late than never, I say :)