KEEP ADD-ONS THAT WORK

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
JakeF
Moongazer
Moongazer

KEEP ADD-ONS THAT WORK

Unread post by JakeF » 2019-05-21, 16:45

Please don't go the firefox route and disable extensions/plug-ins that work. In this case I speak specifically of QuickJava which still works perfectly in PM 28.5 in all Linux that I have, & the only Win I sometimes use [7]. It is especially useful in Win, for one is able to control more -- some of the WinJunks that is only for MSFT.

QuickJava was installed from the PM site when it stilled linked to FF add-ons that worked with PM. With my new Linux OS installs I have just copied & pasted the working PM dir from an installed Linux to the new; for instance TahrPup to BionicPup, and it pasted into Slacko, and all Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu based Linux I have tried.

The recent debacle with FF disabling near all add-ons only proved to me that Moz spys on all users and staff are working diligently on the continual ruin of Firefox [go IceCat for relief]. Proof: Started a Linux. Disconnected from the WWW. Started FF 62.02. It promptly disabled add-ons. Closed FF. Browser was set to Never Upgrade, as are all browsers. Connected to net. Re-started FF; it began to download Firefox 66.05. What do we call software that acts on its own? Adware? Spyware? Virus? Malware? Howsabout a little bit fascist?

Everytime FF takes two steps forward, it seems they take five steps back. GOTO https://netmarketshare.com/ and observe that FF is losing market share. Of course Moz people stupidly joined with GOOG as did Opera, and they're getting their akoles kicked. GOOG browsers -- talk about your spyware! All those browsers based on Blink, are they any better? The best browser ever Opera 12, and those goobers sold out to GOOG, and where are they now -- 1.6%. Opera people realized their mistake & started Vivaldi, using Blink and V doesn't even make to .5%! Opera had way more mobile share than it has today. OK, the evil entities on the web: GOOG, FB, MSFT. GOOG not only has the major browser share, but also the major OS share with Android. You know how much you got to cripple Android to keep it from spying? Rant ends.

Pale Moonies, don't take the road of Mozilla & GOOG.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: KEEP ADD-ONS THAT WORK

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-05-21, 16:55

We don't intend to restrict what add-ons are available. We also don't force signing of extensions, thus a situation similar to the recent one at Mozilla is not possible. However, do note that changes in the platform (e.g. changes to the JavaScript/ECMAScript specifications) might mean certain extensions need to be updated to adjust for that. There isn't anything we can do about that other than anyone with an interest to do so updating the add-ons in question if ever such changes do happen. Remember, extensions extend the browser, not the other way around. If the browser changes something, it didn't necessarily stop the extension from working as-intended - more that the extension hasn't accounted for the browser receiving an important update.

If there's an add-on you love, and want to make sure it stays as long as possible, maybe it's worth forking it (provided the license allows for that)? :) This way you can keep it working following any changes and even get it published on our Add-ons Site(s) - then others can love it just as much as you do.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-21, 20:22

JakeF wrote:
2019-05-21, 16:45
Please don't go the firefox route and disable extensions/plug-ins that work.
If you want to take a look at where Pale Moon will be going, take a look at the roadmap ...

http://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml

... which includes information about extensions.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

JakeF
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by JakeF » 2019-06-19, 15:17

Find here http://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/ from Aaapptabs to Zybez RuneScape Help Official Toolbar . . . so, a lot. QuickJava is there too.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-19, 18:09

Those aren't Pale Moon Extensions. Also it is an inferior and incomplete archive. Try Classic Add-ons Archive instead for Firefox extensions.

JakeF
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by JakeF » 2019-06-28, 16:31

Re the topic. If it installs, works, & you likey -- keepy. I do not have the problem a breaking an OS for I only use .sfs, (.[ext4]fs), files from which to run various OS. A problem with a new install of something? Can't fix with uninstall? Delete the working OS file and paste in backup. All good. All pau. No need for SDPS.

JakeF
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by JakeF » 2019-07-15, 15:22

Something obvious but often unnoticed: if it installs, works, & you like it -- keep it. This goes for more than extensions, but add-ons is what we’re talkin’ bout. Many FF exts work in PM still, like QuickJava, so, first sentence. Hopefully the PM folks will not do a Mozilla book burning and trash hundreds (Ks?) of exts that people like; all that people before profit schtick that papers Moz’s website it just nonsense, they purposely trashed add-ons that people liked, and do not forget the time & hard work that the authors did! Notice how FF user web share never grows. How does that profit anybody?

Because you can save Puppy file systems keeping things that work remain easy, and often easy to transfer to other Pups. Take this BionicPup, PM works and looks the way I want it to, FF does not. FF will not use the desktop settings that make it look and function as I want. If I choose multiple sites for Homepage, or just one, FF opens Homepage at start -- something I had never experienced before. Nothing tried ever fixed this, not using the colors I wanted can be lived with. But viola! copied the .mozilla dir from Xenial and pasted it into Bionic and at least the Homepage problem solved. However, if Homepage prefs messed with something happens and they open at FF start, this goes for Xenial64 too. I noticed that my four sites used for Homepage stopped being displayed in Preferences, but they work. PM still functions properly with Homepage, multiple or otherwise.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-15, 16:19

JakeF wrote:
2019-07-15, 15:22
Hopefully the PM folks will not do a Mozilla book burning and trash hundreds (Ks?) of exts that people like;
The Pale Moon team does not control either the Classic Extension Archive or the Legacy Extensions Collection, so there's no way for the team to destroy them. Additionally, Pale Moon will not be removing the use of XUL add-ons in the browser.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-15, 16:49

You know. This thread is actually rather insulting in a way.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-07-15, 18:51

I think this topic has outlived its usefulness and is just reiterating points made before (in this same topic!). So, to keep up with that theme, let me just say this again, with emphasis where I feel it's necessary:
Lootyhoof wrote:
2019-05-21, 16:55
We don't intend to restrict what add-ons are available. We also don't force signing of extensions, thus a situation similar to the recent one at Mozilla is not possible. However, do note that changes in the platform (e.g. changes to the JavaScript/ECMAScript specifications) might mean certain extensions need to be updated to adjust for that. There isn't anything we can do about that other than anyone with an interest to do so updating the add-ons in question if ever such changes do happen. Remember, extensions extend the browser, not the other way around. If the browser changes something, it didn't necessarily stop the extension from working as-intended - more that the extension hasn't accounted for the browser receiving an important update.

If there's an add-on you love, and want to make sure it stays as long as possible, maybe it's worth forking it (provided the license allows for that)? :) This way you can keep it working following any changes and even get it published on our Add-ons Site(s) - then others can love it just as much as you do.
In short? We are not Mozilla and don't intend to burn bridges. But also don't want to hinder the browser by necessarily "keeping old add-ons working"; if we need to change how the browser works internally for security reasons or to adjust the browser's functions (e.g. Javascript), then add-ons simply must be adjusted to keep up with that. That is not our job. A great example of a well-known add-on, officially supported by the author that does get updated when changes in Pale Moon cause issues, is Tab Mix Plus. Add-ons do need maintenance from time to time, you know, so my earlier message about forking add-ons you (or anyone, really) love is very much true.

So, yeah. Bitrot is a very real thing. ;)