Phoebus hosted on localhost?

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
vistafan12

Phoebus hosted on localhost?

Unread post by vistafan12 » 2019-04-26, 20:28

Hey,

I have a small question. How I can test the latest version of the Phoebus project on my own machine? Is it even real? If so, how can I do that?

Greetings.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Phoebus hosted on localhost?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-26, 22:01

You'll have to run a web server on your local machine and the necessary database, as well as a php interpreter.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-26, 22:49

Phoebus is specifically created to serve specific Add-ons Sites in a specific setup on a specific infra not arbitray ones and some of it is still very much manual or hard coded.

It has no concept of localhost and is coded to require a domain to determin an application and that doesn't even start to explain it.

Why do you want to do this and how do you mean "is it real"?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-04-26, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-26, 22:57

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-04-26, 22:49
My guess is they think what's up in the repo is not actually what's on the server and they want to see it "working" first hand. Or something.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-26, 23:02

Well seeing as I haven't done anything since Phoebus 2.0 landed but a couple of bug fixes, trunk matches release and live so what you currently see live IS the latest.

EDIT: Maybe they don't beleave all that it currently accomplishes can be done without 800 frameworks.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-04-27, 00:39

It could also be to provide a similar service for some other application, not necessarily a publically available one, however strange it sounds.
Anyway, out of curiosity, when you say it needs a domain, does it mean it requires a domain acquired from a registrar, or can I also edit my hosts file to redirect "phoebus.local" to localhost and point Phoebus to it?
I don't plan to run Phoebus, I'm just curious.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-27, 07:32

Read index.php it uses domain names to determin application it is supposed to serve at any given time. Also works in tandem with the webserver configuration.

At this point, no one can run the software but my self because only I know how to set everything up. I do intend to continue reducing hard coded stuff and make it self populate and install but service to our functional needs take priority.

Moonchild could figure it out cause he has all the pieces via the backups if I got hit by a bus but that's really it.

vistafan12

Unread post by vistafan12 » 2019-04-27, 07:42

2019-04-26, 22:49
I would like to run this script mainly for testing and reporting bugs and making my own patches in the code. As for "is it real", I meant more about whether it's possible to run at all.

I don't want to create my "own browser" or something like that.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-27, 07:50

It isn't designed to run in a reduced mode by its self. The closest thing to that is dev mode which there is an incarnation setup with a clone of the sql db but shares the datastore which is on the same server.

You can't just use it locally like that at this time. I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to ever make it do that in any case.

What did you want to change?

Basically, as it stands, if you want to get involved in Phoebus development you are gonna have to work closely with me specifically. Independent development just isn't gonna fly with Phoebus.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-04-27, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

vistafan12

Unread post by vistafan12 » 2019-04-27, 08:01

2019-04-27, 07:50
What did you want to change?
It was just a simple example. If there was a bug, I would try to fix it and make a pull request for GitHub.

If it's not possible to install it on a local machine - okay, I understand.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-27, 08:06

It is possible but to get it to do that would mean code changes in and of its self and a specialized setup not a generic one. You'd still need to me to give you the secrets to set it up and that kind of testing wouldn't be real world enough to be very helpful.

You can still help but it isn't going to be a standard scenario.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-04-27, 13:22

btw: in index.php line 280 you are assigning a result from preg_replace() to $_finalValue which probably should be $finalValue.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-27, 13:45

EDIT: I'll get it.

vistafan12

Unread post by vistafan12 » 2019-04-28, 12:50

Okay, I still have one last question. @New Tobin Paradigm: Will a file with a sample database (sql file) be available in the near future? Or still not?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-28, 13:11

I don't think so.