Discovering new extensions for Pale Moon

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Discovering new extensions for Pale Moon

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-25, 13:17

Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-24, 08:31
Remember the addons site is not AMO and it WILL NOT get things like comments, rating stars, sort by newest, popular and all the AMO stuff, or statistics on everything for the developers.
Not about that at all, and not looking for feature creep either, RSS being an open standard and an easy way to just track new changes without creating a system that can be gamed. Most webservers and hosted blogs/CMS do have plugins or other mechanisms to serve feeds but I guess it would be harder to do with a custom setup like Phoebus. In the long run it will help in extension discoverability.
vanowm wrote:
2019-09-25, 11:44
Devs already have to manage multiple versions on multiple platforms (ɟirefox, Tunderbird, Palemoon, soon Waterfox), now you want them post something on forums in addition :wtf: ? Good luck attract more devs...just saying.
He does have a point (being an extension author himself). As it is it's hard enough to attract former XUL extension developers to take it up again for PM, so every little bit helps.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-25, 15:21

A one-time post on the main communication medium for the browser you are explicitly porting for when you publish something new? Yeah that's the least you can do. Don't you want to announce you made something?

If you don't even want to do that, then how likely are you to actually give the target browser proper attention in your development? This isn't a fire-and-forget thing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vanowm

Unread post by vanowm » 2019-09-25, 22:38

Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-25, 15:21
A one-time post on the main communication medium for the browser you are explicitly porting for when you publish something new? Yeah that's the least you can do. Don't you want to announce you made something?

If you don't even want to do that, then how likely are you to actually give the target browser proper attention in your development? This isn't a fire-and-forget thing.
I don't know, didn't have to do anything but just publish on mozilla website..worked great there...oh, yeah, it had ratings, comments and ability sort extensions by date added/updated, never mind.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-26, 10:38

vanowm wrote:
2019-09-25, 22:38
I don't know
Well that's fine. I don't know either. You certainly don't -have- to do anything besides publishing on our extension site. The resulting level of exposure is always (and has always been, also on AMO) dependent on other things than being able to list "what's new" -- especially with the constant churn that happened on AMO.

Hey I have an idea. If you all insist on wanting an exact copy of AMO with its inherent bias, comments, ratings, etc. then by all means set up a website running that monstrosity (whatever its code-name is). Nobody is stopping you. Just keep in mind that the difference in scale of audience and active extension devs also means you need to adjust how you approach such a thing.
In the meantime I'm siding with the person who wrote the current add-ons site software completely from scratch to be fast, efficient, and not in the least capable of serving multiple target applications.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-26, 22:09

Hi kids. Have I mentioned that requests are forbidden? Have I mentioned that the Phoebus software must serve all applications and all extensions fairly? and that no specific application nor specific add-on should be given an unfair advantage over the others on the system?

However, that being said, I will take SOME of what you said under advisement again but don't hold your breath. Your persistence and pushing is not likely to help matters. In the end, Phoebus features will be what they will be.

What you are talking about at the end of the day is marketing and evangelism and we are not responsible for your marketing efforts. THOUGH, you can expect some coverage as I work on completing the Binary Outcast Content Management System first using thereisonlyxul.org as the test bed for the software. This will include blog/news posts WITH rss about updates to all Allied UXP Applications as well as posts highlighting extensions. You can even send in tips to be included about updates. Will this help satisfy your marketing requirements as well as community engagement and tracking of what is happening not only with extensions YOU care about on JUST Pale Moon but all over the UXPsphere?

Besides, we can't trust the likes of ghacks or others to cover anything about stuff related to us except the odd Pale Moon release if it is interesting to them because it risks the horde descending on their comments section like a plague. Given that I suppose I should add multiuser and levels to the cms software so some of you who find this important to track could be given access to produce articles for it. Along the lines of a "Weekly Add-ons Round-up" perhaps?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-27, 03:32

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-26, 22:09
What you are talking about at the end of the day is marketing and evangelism and we are not responsible for your marketing efforts. This will include blog/news posts WITH rss about updates to all Allied UXP Applications as well as posts highlighting extensions. You can even send in tips to be included about updates. Will this help satisfy your marketing requirements as well as community engagement and tracking of what is happening not only with extensions YOU care about on JUST Pale Moon but all over the UXPsphere?
You mean it will be like a news site for all things related to UXP and its derivative projects? Sounds good to have, promoting PM 'officially' beyond this forum.
2019-09-26, 22:09
Besides, we can't trust the likes of ghacks or others to cover anything about stuff related to us except the odd Pale Moon release if it is interesting to them because it risks the horde descending on their comments section like a plague. Given that I suppose I should add multiuser and levels to the cms software so some of you who find this important to track could be given access to produce articles for it. Along the lines of a "Weekly Add-ons Round-up" perhaps?
Off-topic:
GHacks commenters on PM/Firefox stories are totally retarded fanboys of the latter
Actually I agree with the idea that there shouldn't be any bias or ability to game the extensions site, hence an RSS feed with just newly added extensions and nothing else should be quite adequate for discoverability. We anyway have the subforum here to discuss extensions or ask for suggestions. Maybe also add a notice/link on the addons page to the extensions forum, for new users.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-27, 03:54

moonbat wrote:
2019-09-27, 03:32
hence an RSS feed with just newly added extensions and nothing else should be quite adequate for discoverability.
Two issues with that.. ONE I don't HAVE any such data on any extension. The only DATE I have is for specific xpi versions and when an account was registered. TWO. I am still not going to do it.
Off-topic:
ALSO, I saw you join but you left.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-27, 03:58

2019-09-27, 03:54
Off-topic:
ALSO, I saw you join but you left.
Was trying out Ambassador vs Hexchat.