What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page? A Solution

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page? A Solution

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2019-03-02, 21:57

The thread "What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?" is now locked. Those who develop and maintain Pale Moon say having one list comprised of all the extensions creates a major load on their server, and that with the Pale Moon search engine and Categories, a single list is not necessary. So as users, we need to respect their position.

But that does not solve the problem for users who prefer a single list of the 188 extensions on the Pale Moon site. So I created the attached Excel spreadsheet (is a .zip file). It has three columns: Program Name, Developer's Comments and Pale Moon Category. It is currently sorted by Program Name (A-Z) but you can sort it any way you wish. This solution does not affect their server in any way, since those who wish to use it will download it to their computer.

And I did not use any 'back door' method to make Pale Moon's Add-ons site list All Extensions. I just copied the information that is listed on each of the 11 Pale Moon Categories pages, and used a few Excel tricks to make it easier. I think it took me about an hour to do this.

But there is one caveat. If those who download it want to keep it updated, you will have to do it yourself. I hardly ever download a new extension. That means you will have to periodically look at each of the Categories to see if anything has been added or deleted. Of course it would be nice if the person(s) who maintains the extension list would post a note on 'The Pale Moon add-ons website' forum any time a change is made to that list, but that is up to them.

Harry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page? A Solution

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-02, 23:03

Thanks for trying - I'm afraid your list will be out of date within an hour. Trying to maintain such an offline list will be folly, too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-02, 23:09

Problem is this is just a continuation of the last thread and to drum up opposition to the decision already made. The more this continues the less sympathetic I am and it drives me to want to counter it even more.

Else, why mention the previous thread at all let alone it being locked. It's a typical ploy that doesn't even have a pretense of anything else of value.

The offline list is supposed to justify the opposition in and of its self? I don't think so.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2019-03-03, 01:00

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Problem is this is just a continuation of the last thread and to drum up opposition to the decision already made. The more this continues the less sympathetic I am and it drives me to want to counter it even more.
Not drumming up opposition at all. Some folks were looking for a list, so I created one for them. Isn't that what forums are for: to help people with a problem?
Else, why mention the previous thread at all let alone it being locked. It's a typical ploy that doesn't even have a pretense of anything else of value.

Only because that is where people were looking for the information. It was not, and is not, a ploy.
The offline list is supposed to justify the opposition in and of its self? I don't think so.
You can believe what you want, but your statement is not true.

Harry

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-03, 11:40

So, how difficult is to to actually use the site's search? These lists aren't needed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite