What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
User avatar
carpet
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 19
Joined: 2018-10-03, 21:19

What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by carpet » 2019-02-18, 19:33

Who's the Einstein who split up the extensions into a dozen different pages so now we have to spend 10 minutes dissecting what all those categories mean or else slog through them one by one? Before, it was quick and easy to browse through a list and find what you needed and discover things you didn't know about. Now it's a quagmire of clickclickclickclickclick back and forth among the pages. Colossal waste of our time and massive UI fail. How much programming time exactly would it have taken to put a Show All button on the page? 2 minutes?

vannilla
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 625
Joined: 2018-05-05, 13:29

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-18, 19:49

Honestly I don't mind it.
I'm the type of guy that misses most of the details when looking at a long list, so having multiple categories with fewer entries works best for me.
Granted, I'm going to lose this advantage the moment each category passes a certain number of extensions in it, but until then it's good.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-18, 19:52

So you rather have a quagmire of an endless list that is impossible to use if many more add-ons are added and you scrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscroll to go right past what you need...

Oh and of course if you're looking for a specific add-on you don't want to use search either?

Please no, don't bring back an endless list when we have categories.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 1780
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-02-18, 20:24

With the increase in the number of extensions, the complete list on one page is clearly not the best way to access them, so I understand why the new version of the add-on site does not have it. On the other hand, browsing by sections and searching is also not always convenient, and displaying a large list of data can always be solved using pagination. I hope Tobin will do it sometime, but personally I don't think this is a high priority issue.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 5882
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-18, 20:29

Pagination is a pain in the ass to properly implement. HOWEVER, that is the next course of action if the category pages get too large.. So, submit more Extensions and Themes!

Obviously, the All Extensions view is not completely gone since Basilisk and Interlink use this mode because there aren't many extensions targeting them yet on the site. However, it can still be accessed on Pale Moon's Add-ons Site but you will have to figure that out how for yourself.

Like with all things, if you want it.. Chances are there is going to be some work involved!

Lurker_01
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 35
Joined: 2015-06-12, 14:59
Location: Uruguay

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-02-18, 20:41

So i tried to search a "*" without quotes, because empty search gives no result for pale moon extensions and the search crashed with fatal db error.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 5882
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-18, 20:46

Lurker_01 wrote:So i tried to search a "*" without quotes, because empty search gives no result for pale moon extensions and the search crashed with fatal db error.
WELL I suppose I have an issue to fix there eh? Issue #104

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 245
Joined: 2017-12-06, 21:25

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-02-18, 21:04

The new extension page is very useful, categories are exactly what is needed, I suggest the OP is a tosspot (this is a technical term).
My skills technical and otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, Javascript, VB6, PHP programming. Graphic Design, Technical Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since inception. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 5882
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-18, 21:27

No, I get it.. I really do.. We started with an All Extension Page and he wants to still have one..

WE have attempted to move away from it before but popular demand brings it back.. Well I am not strictly taking it away but I am not bringing it back either.. For Pale Moon now and into the future.. There are too damn many extensions.. EVEN if the All Extensions had pagination those who want them all on one page would complain about it because pagination means they aren't all on one page. Same goes for an ajax endless page until no data that loads as you scroll.. WELL they don't exist until they do so not all on one page.. PLUS, it wouldn't work for everyone because javascript. This community loves to block and disable JS.

NOW, I have tried to keep JS out of the public Add-ons Site except where it is absolutely necessary.. Installing Personas and Installing Search Plugins.. This is done by a JS trigger and while XML Search Plugins can be downloaded and placed in the profile manually.. This is not optimal and lightweight themes have NO other way to be installable.. EXCEPT as bootstrap extensions to run the JS code anyway.

So there you go.

I would like to issue one warning though.. IF you find out how to make Pale Moon's Add-ons Site list All Extensions and then spread it around.. I'll remove the feature because it is server intensive.

Consider figuring it out a reward for actually learning something.

Lurker_01
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 35
Joined: 2015-06-12, 14:59
Location: Uruguay

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-02-18, 21:34

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:The new extension page is very useful, categories are exactly what is needed, I suggest the OP is a tosspot (this is a technical term).
The categories always existed, just check the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20190214021856/https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ considering the addons are loaded directly on the page (see Basilisk) without any JavaScript or any parameters and you cant do a ?type=extension search like in firefox add-ons site (25 entries per page), this may be the only way to get a list even through it wouldn't get updated.
Edit: 14,274 extensions found for Firefox so 952 pages.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 5882
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-18, 21:41

What does that have to do with anything, dude? Phoebus isn't UMO v1/v2, Remora, Zamboni, Olympia, or whatever they call their next abomination. Also, Search as nothing to do with category pages.

Have you tried.. Reading the code?

Also, if I get around to needing to do pagination.. It will likely be 50 per page.. I can do 50.. More than that it becomes noticeable load wise.

Lurker_01
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 35
Joined: 2015-06-12, 14:59
Location: Uruguay

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-02-18, 21:55

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:What does that have to do with anything, dude?
I am sorry i was writing the reply before you posted your last post.
You may take that post as a justification for what you say "EVEN if the All Extensions had pagination those who want them all on one page would complain about it because pagination means they aren't all on one page".
I am sorry for doing Firefox addon site comparison.

User avatar
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 307
Joined: 2013-10-09, 04:09
Location: USA

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2019-03-01, 05:52

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:No, I get it.. I really do.. We started with an All Extension Page and he wants to still have one..

WE have attempted to move away from it before but popular demand brings it back.. Well I am not strictly taking it away but I am not bringing it back either.. For Pale Moon now and into the future.. There are too damn many extensions.. EVEN if the All Extensions had pagination those who want them all on one page would complain about it because pagination means they aren't all on one page. Same goes for an ajax endless page until no data that loads as you scroll.. WELL they don't exist until they do so not all on one page.. PLUS, it wouldn't work for everyone because javascript. This community loves to block and disable JS.

NOW, I have tried to keep JS out of the public Add-ons Site except where it is absolutely necessary.. Installing Personas and Installing Search Plugins.. This is done by a JS trigger and while XML Search Plugins can be downloaded and placed in the profile manually.. This is not optimal and lightweight themes have NO other way to be installable.. EXCEPT as bootstrap extensions to run the JS code anyway.

So there you go.

I would like to issue one warning though.. IF you find out how to make Pale Moon's Add-ons Site list All Extensions and then spread it around.. I'll remove the feature because it is server intensive.

Consider figuring it out a reward for actually learning something.
I don't understand why you are so against an All Extension List? Some folks like the category method, but I, like the person that started this thread, don't. What category an extension is placed in not a precise science, and doesn't mean the same to all people. For example, Fox Clocks is placed in Social and Communication, whereas Timer Fox is classified as a Utility. Both have similar functions.

You said if too many folks learn the secret decoder to access the All Extensions list, then you will take it away, because the feature is server intensive, If too many people use it, doesn't that mean that the Category method does not meet their needs?

in fact, you even admitted that it is popular with Pale Moon users.
WE have attempted to move away from it before but popular demand brings it back.

Harry

User avatar
Isengrim
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 967
Joined: 2015-09-08, 22:54
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-03-01, 11:08

I agree a single page listing all extensions is a bad idea, precisely for the technical reasons outlined. I think paging would be a good idea - it could be used not only for the full uncategorized list, but also for when a category gets too large and starts causing the same kind of issues that requestimg the full list causes.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 660
Joined: 2016-04-11, 01:26

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-03-01, 11:47

I would say otherwise, the new extensions page much better. The idea to divide many extensions into many pages not good for me so, make please the one page list option of each category or it happens being named version for printing.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-01, 15:53

1210_bex wrote:I don't understand why you are so against an All Extension List?
For each add-on in the list, the server has to make database queries, look up data, format it, and make it human-readable. If you have 10 extensions, then that's hardly a problem. If you have 100, then you feel it in needed server processing which is already bad. If you have 1000, it's undoable.
1210_bex wrote:If too many people use it, doesn't that mean that the Category method does not meet their needs?
No, it means people have used a single list in the past and used whatever local search method (probably ctrl+f) to find anything in that list, and they are reluctant to change that. In the past, it was also the case that the site itself did not have a search capability and using local search in a list was the only way to be searching, but now we do, and people should use the site's search instead. It takes away the ONE legitimate reason why we would still have a server-intensive "all extensions" listing.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
eskaton023
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 464
Joined: 2013-08-23, 19:54

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by eskaton023 » 2019-03-01, 18:36

Would it be possible to create an 'All' page that is dumbed down and doesn't make so many requests? A simple list of the extension name and a link to the extension's page? Or have the page/list generated nightly and stored as a static page that is served to the user's instead of dynamically loading upon each request?

FWIW, I have no dog in this fight. Whether this happens or not doesn't matter to me. Just thought I'd throw some suggestions out there (as useless as they may be) instead of only adding onto the complaint pile.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 5882
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-01, 22:09

Anything is possible. Doesn't mean I am going to do it. So no.

This has all been discussed and there is no point to continuing it because this time none of us are going to cave.

tl;dr RESOLVED WONTFIX

Moderator: Please lock this thread.

User avatar
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 307
Joined: 2013-10-09, 04:09
Location: USA

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2019-03-01, 22:42

Moonchild wrote:
1210_bex wrote:If too many people use it, doesn't that mean that the Category method does not meet their needs?
No, it means people have used a single list in the past and used whatever local search method (probably ctrl+f) to find anything in that list, and they are reluctant to change that. In the past, it was also the case that the site itself did not have a search capability and using local search in a list was the only way to be searching, but now we do, and people should use the site's search instead. It takes away the ONE legitimate reason why we would still have a server-intensive "all extensions" listing.
That assumes that the person searching knows the name of the add-on they are looking for. And the name of the add-on does not always describes its function.

This thread is being locked I see. So what we have now is what we get.

Harry

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: What happened to the list of all the extensions on one page?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-01, 23:41

1210_bex wrote:That assumes that the person searching knows the name of the add-on they are looking for.
No, it means people are making a mountain out of a molehill.
The add-ons site search is not just by name. developers are free to use tags describing the extension's function. Those WILL be used as search terms.

So, in fact, NOT having this one-list approach make it easier to find stuff.

But yes. this thread will be locked. what you have is what you got. Learn to use it.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

Locked