Former Firefox addon developer has some questions

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Former Firefox addon developer has some questions

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2018-12-30, 19:38

Hello,

I'm a former Firefox (german) addon developer (RightToClick, ShowMyPassword, GoogleEnhancer, BetterPrivacy, AskForSanitize, FullRealodButton, ContextBookmarks, ÜberSearchBarEnhanced, and others).
I'm a very new member here.

To introduce myself:
For many years I developed/fixed/enhanced addons for the official Firefox releases (some might remember me as Netticat or Ikrg).
With the years and lots of Firefox updates I lost interest in supporting the Firefox browser. For many(!) reasons.
But I found, that's not the case with the Palemoon fork. However this was still not enough for me, to switch to PaleMoon.
The main reasons for my decision are very special and personal:
1. Firefox no longer supports my chosen OS: WindowsXP (PaleMoon does'nt eiteher, but there exist 3rd party forks which do so - and please: No discussion about it, I know what I'm doing!)
2. Firefox no longer supports XUL
Currently I'm using 'New Moon', a 3rd party Palemoon release.

I found that some of my addons still work with PaleMoon, and ShowMyPassword has even been ported to PaleMoon (many thanks to the dev who has done the work!)
I consider to add/port another/other addon(s) to your repository (especially RightToClick), if you like.

But I have a few questions, more or less technically, but probably not very interesting for the community.
Thus I am looking for a PM contact to an experienced moderator to get answers for some different topics of interest.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Former Firefox addon developer has some questions

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-30, 20:27

All your questions have likely already been answered on the forum and main site content. You merely have to search for them.

Also, yes, we don't support Windows XP and that build you are using is not representitive of our Project and is NOT Pale Moon.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2018-12-30, 20:54

Thus you are not interested in porting my former addons, right?

Even if some of my questions might be answerd here (somewhere), I would expect you to provide some special support to me - as developer.
Some support - witrhout the need to search the whole forum or to post questions in the correct subforum (I don't like to waste much time with it).
That's the reason I asked for PM.
Ok, if you're not interested in new developers for PM, I just offered to work for you. I don't need to do this.
I can fix addons just for myself, and I'm happy.

I expected much more accommodation, but you disappointed downright.
Your decision, nevertheless thanks for answer.
Bye.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-12-30, 20:59

That was... rather quick, wasn't it.
He could've just asked his questions here instead of using private messages...

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-12-30, 21:04

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:Thus you are not interested in porting my former addons, right?

Even if some of my questions might be answerd here (somewhere), I would expect you to provide some special support to me - as developer.
Some support - witrhout the need to search the whole forum or to post questions in the correct subforum (I don't like to waste much time with it).
That's the reason I asked for PM.
Ok, if you're not interested in new developers for PM, I just offered to work for you. I don't need to do this.
I can fix addons just for myself, and I'm happy.

I expected much more accommodation, but you disappointed downright.
Your decision, nevertheless thanks for answer.
Bye.
I believe tobin or whatever name he likes to assume was not interested in supporting addons for "new moon" which is not the official palemoon..That is how i see it anyway.But please tread carefully as tobin seems to be a rather touchy sort...good luck. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-12-30, 21:25

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:
Thus I am looking for a PM contact to an experienced moderator to get answers for some different topics of interest.
Please, send a PM to Moonchild, he is the founder of Pale Moon. I wish more add-on developers took the time to contact Pale Moon as you did. Thanks! :thumbup:

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2018-12-30, 22:38

@ helloimustbegoing
Thanks, I will do so tomorrow.

@Moonraker
"as tobin seems to be a rather touchy sort."
I am not a native english speaker, I am from Germany. But he term "touchy sort" really means what I assumed (after asking Google for translation) ;-)
Sorry, I did not expect the first moderator answering me to be of the 'touchy sort'.

@Tobin
"Also, yes, we don't support Windows XP and that build you are using is not representitive of our Project and is NOT Pale Moon."
I know, but you should know that the OS I use has absolutelely no effect on the JS-addons I am developing/fixing. It makes no difference for any user.
Also, my chosen browser is mt PaleMonn, you are right, but the compatibility of my addons with Palemoon would be still warranted.

@Vanilla
"He could've just asked his questions here instead of using private messages..."
I told you, that my questions most probably are not of interest for the Palemoon community.
However, at times I developed for Firefox, I had a million users with my addons alltogether.
I am used to get preferential support from browser developers (Firefox). Asking for PM helps me to focus on real addon/porting issues and not wasting my time on searching the forum for answers, answers that might be obsolete. Please remember, I am offereing hard work on updating or fixing addons for YOU (and I do no not need to do this) - well, those addons probably will be those I am interested too. But there is a good chance that you, or one or another ist interested too.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-12-30, 22:50

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote: I told you, that my questions most probably are not of interest for the Palemoon community.
Well, that's something the community will decide by itself, isn't it?
In the worst (or best?) case you'd get only an answer by someone like Moonchild or JustOff and no one else.
Besides, I'm an extension developer too (albeit I only completed very small add-ons), and who says I couldn't have answered your questions?

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-12-30, 23:14

Ikrg/Netticat, I'm one of those million users. I've used several of yours over the years but I particularly appreciated ShowMyPassword, and I hope you take it back over from the PM forker. We, the users, are hoping many of you guys, the former classic Firefox extension developers, will come to support the XUL extensions for UXP apps (PM, Basilisk and others). Don't let one person get in the way. You can always post the extensions somewhere else if necessary and we would still appreciate and use them (just be harder to find).

I used to use BetterPrivacy but as I no longer use Flash, I have gotten the impression that BP isn't needed anymore. If it still does something beneficial, I hope you'll tell us and keep it updated as well.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-30, 23:25

A PM isn't necessary. I noticed the thread and will give some pointers here:
  • If you want to port your add-ons to function with Pale Moon, you are most welcome to do so! We welcome any extension developer who wants to target Pale Moon, and actually prefer that over someone else forking it. The original author usually knows best what their code does or needs :)
  • The point Tobin wanted to make but apparently didn't get across well: If you adapt your extension to work with Pale Moon, you should make sure to thoroughly test it on an official release. This means you should install the latest official Pale Moon on a supported operating system and make sure the extension works fully as-intended. If your O.S. of choice is Windows XP, then you will have to make sure you install a supported O.S. on either a different physical machine or in a virtual machine to test your extension's functionality in Pale Moon. Having it work on "New Moon" or "MyPal" or other forks of Pale Moon modified to run on Windows XP is not sufficient to be accepted. There may be blatant or very subtle differences between Pale Moon and XP-compatible browsers based on it that may interfere with extension functionality, so you must absolutely test on an official release.
Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:I am used to get preferential support from browser developers (Firefox).
I'm not sure what you expect from us, but we provide the same support on an as-is and as-available basis to anyone in the community, users and extension developers alike. That being said, the nature of the support may be different because the focus for end-users will be different than for extension developers, but all communication is preferred to be in the public boards so it does not hang up on the busy schedule of one particular individual (e.g. myself) and so that others may benefit from public discussion of technical and usability aspects, which doesn't happen with PMs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-12-30, 23:31

@ Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Welcome ! :wave:
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BobbyP » 2018-12-31, 01:39

Hello Ikrg/Netticat,

Welcome! I am also one of the many long-time users of your great extensions. BetterPrivacy has been, and still is installed on every new (non-virgin) Profile of PM that I set up for myself, and for others. Ask for Sanitize, as well. Thank you very much for all of your work, it is most certainly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to post here, and offer your further support for Pale Moon. As posted above, there are many Pale Moon users, who, having fled the now long-term terminal shenanigans of MoFo, hope to see more and more Fx extension developers like-wise supporting PM. As mentioned above, if you must post your work elsewhere, it will still be much appreciated (as was/is Piro's TST and GM's NS). Thank you, and Happy New Year!

astewart
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by astewart » 2018-12-31, 02:31

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote: I told you, that my questions most probably are not of interest for the Palemoon community.
This is importantly different from your original post. If you had said that
my questions most probably are not of interest for the Firefox community
I think you would be correct. But this is not the same kind of collection of users.

I hack a lot of my addons for my own use, and I use the Custombuttons addon to write addon-like functions. I am not a dev, as such, but any answers you receive here publicly could easily be of interest to me.

...and I also have BetterPrivacy and ShowMyPassword :)

Alan

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-31, 02:45

@Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

If you want to take back your extension ShowMyPassword please tell the Add-ons Team Leader. This was only half-forked during a time before curtain policies were put in place regarding what a proper fork should entail.

This is the case for any of the old pseudo-statics.