reference the new Add-ons Topic is solved

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
laozi

reference the new Add-ons

Unread post by laozi » 2018-09-21, 14:57

hello,
regularly I consult the extensions page (https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/)
I have just discovered the "Cookies Control Panel" extension which has been available since 28 August 2018,
to avoid listing the entire extension page, is it possible to add a mark to reference new additions ? or create a new temporary category, say for 1 month, "new features"
merci

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: reference the new Add-ons

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-21, 18:04

That would be a no. I will not write in ways that make one extension more prominent than another one. They will continued to be treated absolutely equally.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-21, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-09-21, 18:21

:evil: :o
why is it the "@ New Tobin Paradigm" that answers?
have any responsibilities or initiatives on PaleMoon's sites ?!!!!!
in my proposal, it was never a question of favouring an add-on but simply of informing the reader of new additions ;)
Last edited by laozi on 2018-09-21, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-21, 20:25

in my proposal, it was never a question of favouring an add-on but simply of informing the reader of new additions
Good idea, i often regretted that I had difficulty following the addition of new addons (the list is growing) despite i check the site regularly.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-09-21, 20:45

Not a bad idea actually... :thumbup:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-21, 20:55

Yes, could be useful for those who like to check out new extensions. I think extension updates should not count i.e. it should only be "Recently added" not "Recently added/updated" otherwise it would indeed "promote" some extensions over others and the new ones would be easily lost anyway.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-09-21, 21:33

Mozilla accomplishes this by allowing the add-ons database to be searched and the search results sorted. AFAIK APMO (https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/) does not allow this.

For example, following are some of the sorts available from AMO. None of these sorts "favor" some add-ons over others. There are other sorts available from AMO (such as "featured" and "trending"), however, that do favor some add-ons over others. Perhaps sort by "Updated on date" could be added to the APMO "Search" feature, the next time "Project Phoebus 1.9.2." is updated?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-21, 21:40

Here: https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Tea ... offtopic]I have no idea why information about new additions to the Add-on site is considered useful...[/offtopic]

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-22, 00:57

You see how it has gone from new add-ons to the implication that all those filters be added.. This is why I am not going to add such features. It starts down a slippery slope of favortism.

First it was new add-ons to the site next it will be updated then sorted by popularity which of course would mean telemetry for number of downloads and number of users via AUS then insights for the collected data then of course people will want ratings so it can be sorted by number of stars THEN IT WILL END WITH A SPOTLIGHT OF RECOMMENDED ADD-ONS AND USER REVIEWS.. Then massive spamming and moderation control to make sure nothing gets artificially bumped up or down by bots.. Then the sesrch results will have to reflect all this and so on and so on.. No, I will have none of that. Everyone and everything MUST be treated the same else we end up like Mozilla.

Why am I answering? Because I am the one who is writing the software.. Also, lol, there is a database, two actually, the shoehorned one that allows searching today and the full on one that is on http://addons-dev.palemoon.org/

But if you want a more authoritative answer, then grab the attention of Ryan aka Lootyhoof the Leader of the Add-ons Team.. Convince him to convince me to add such non-sense that will only promote favortism and add even more work that isn't required.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-22, 01:13, edited 5 times in total.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-09-22, 05:30

You have of course considered that by listing them alphabetically, you are giving prominence to those add-ons that start with A (such as ABprime, Adblock Latitude) over those that begin with U ... Z (Such as U-block origin updater). This is a form of favouritism, the more insidious because everyone does it and think's it isn't discriminatory.

In passing, tracking downloads isn't really telemetry as you would do that it at the server end, so its a local (server specific) metric. Tracking current installs would be, and I could see why you wouldn't want to do that.

So please. Give us a little more choice over the order in which we view things.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-22, 08:19

thosrtanner wrote:You have of course considered that by listing them alphabetically, you are giving prominence to those add-ons that start with A (such as ABprime, Adblock Latitude) over those that begin with U ... Z (Such as U-block origin updater). This is a form of favouritism, the more insidious because everyone does it and think's it isn't discriminatory.
So what do you think is fair then? randomize the list for every visit? Nobody would be able to find anything. :think:

Alphabetic sorting or ANY sorting will have a natural order to them, but that does not mean that what happens to be high on the list as a result is the result of favoritism other than the linguistic or mathematical one -- in which case you can blame language for predisposing certain titles, but not the presentation software. :problem: Let's not make it worse by introducing user- or developer-instigated favoritism. I'm very strongly opposed to this.

Any highlighting of new or updated extensions would favor developers who just churn out the fastest or the most. But that doesn't mean those extensions deserve any more attention than long-standing, stable ones. Quite the opposite, that alone already is setting up the extension site for severe bias based on something that isn't even related to the usability or quality of extensions.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-22, 08:23, edited 3 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-22, 08:25

Also, please, people, USE THE CORRECT BOARD when you make posts.

We have a board for these kinds of issues specifically, "the pale Moon add-ons website". The "extensions" board is for extensions themselves, not the site.
The opposite is also true: people posting extensions issue in the add-ons website board; that's the wrong place too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-22, 13:09

Ok guys, back to the topic ;)

What i wish :
New (image)This addon was added in the last xx days.

Once the defined time interval has elapsed, the message disppears.

That's all.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2018-09-22, 13:15

I agree with Nightbird.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-22, 14:00

what about a subforum where threads are automatically generated for new/updated addons? how feasible would that be tech-wise?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-22, 14:03

Not feasable at all. There is no such mechanism for that nor should the forum be spammed like that.

This is the end of the topic btw.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-22, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-22, 14:11

fillerup wrote:what about a subforum where threads are automatically generated for new/updated addons?
There is a commit log that contain every addition to the APO database:
Off-topic:
laozi wrote:all the speakers of this post are in favor of a referencing of the new add-on, only one is against
That is not true.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-22, 14:14

That rss feed won't help when we move to full sql.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-22, 14:17

Off-topic:
Moderation note: In the interest of keeping things on-topic, irrelevant posts have been removed from this thread (and appropriate warnings issued)

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-22, 14:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:That rss feed won't help when we move to full sql.
well then, nightbird's suggestion is the best one here. doesn't seem like the people in charge want to implement it though..