Developer Tools add-on download

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
50addons

Developer Tools add-on download

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-08-31, 12:27

The Developer Tools download page no longer exists. (I followed the link from Known Incompatible Add-ons.)

Where has this been moved to?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Developer Tools add-on download

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-31, 13:31

Into Oblivion..

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-08-31, 13:53

:)

So what's the Firebug equivalent? The built-in Web Developer -> Inspector?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-31, 14:50

Yep, the full set of devtools is pretty much functionally equivalent to that add-on. It's not exactly the same in appearance, but it should fill most of your debugging needs. It even has a Firebug themeing option.

I forget if Firebug had it available by default or not, but if you want to debug browser-side code then you'll need to enable the chrome and remote debugging options.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-08-31, 15:22

Isengrim wrote:Yif you want to debug browser-side code then you'll need to enable the chrome and remote debugging options.
How do I do this?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-31, 15:31

50addons wrote:How do I do this?
This should tell you everything you need to know. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... er_Toolbox
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-08-31, 15:38

Many thanks!

Wolfey
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Wolfey » 2018-09-06, 14:55

Sorry to hijack your thread, 50addons.
I just thought I would register to report an issue that is bothering me and why I am still using Developer Tools v1.0.0a1 instead of the build in Inspector.
Yep, the full set of devtools is pretty much functionally equivalent to that add-on. It's not exactly the same in appearance, but it should fill most of your debugging needs. It even has a Firebug themeing option.
Well, true, especially the "pretty much" and the "most" part.
Let's say you have a web page, and there is a certain div, that could have certain classes, for example "blue", that would make in blue, or "w_100" that would make it 100px wide, or "fsize_2" that would make the text bigger, or "font_contrast" that would force your text to be even blacker for those who can't see properly.
In FireBug/DevTools you could inspect this div, choose the class attribute and try out any styles that you think could look good, you'd just write them down and see what happens "on-the-fly". You could for example use class "fsize_5", place your cursor just before the "5" and use your arrow-up and arrow-down keys to change this 5 to 4 or 6 or 20 and you would see right away if there is a class like that and how your div would look like.
The build-in Inspector (as well as the Inspector that FF uses) won't let you see what you want to TRY right away. You have to confirm it with Enter/Return every time. And if you do it loses focus and you have to use your mouse again to navigate to the right class/spot and try something different.
The problem for me is I used this "playful" way to try out different classes every day at home and at work and my colleagues to that too. This feature is essential for what I do and not being able to do that is frustrating as hell.
That's why I still use DevTools for PaleMoon.

Apart from that PM 28 was a huge leap at I love it. I even have a feeling some Addons that got broken in PM27 work now.
I hated FF for closing down FireBug exactly because of that.
Imagine how frustrating it was to discover that NTP deleted his FireBug fork. And I was happy as hell as I found the xpi on my backup drive.
I mean why not let people use it on their own risk? Fill it with big red warning text if it's needed, like "BEWARE DEVTOOLS LEAKS MEMORY", or something like that. But I would still use it because of what I described. If there is a workaround that would make Inspector apply css classes as soon as they are typed, please do tell me. I would be more than willing to use newer and better tools if they do what I expect them to do.