Sorting Tabs by URL Topic is solved

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
GMugford

Sorting Tabs by URL

Unread post by GMugford » 2018-08-18, 16:48

A quick search of this forum reveals what is probably going to be disappointing for me. Nobody, it seems, is needing a Tab Sorting feature that is NOT based strictly (without options) on the page title. I need URL-based sorting. Maybe as an option in fellow Canadian Eric Vold's Sort Tabs extension (1.1.1.1-signed installed last update Dec 16/17) or as a new and separate extension. Call it Sort Tabs URL and make it option-less too. Or build on Eric's idea. I have tried all the sort tabs extensions at Mozilla's page, none of which will either work or install, depending on the extension. Not surprising. I don't think I've looked at that page in four years, until this morning. I'm not expecting this plea to hit paydirt. If people wanted it, there would be discussion of this already. So, be gentle telling me NO. But hey, people buy lottery tickets with less chances of winning. Thanks for reading this far, GM

And to head off the suggestion ... If I need it so bad, why don't *I* write it? Talent, computer language skills, being a forgetful old coot ... pick one. All are true.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Sorting Tabs by URL

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-19, 19:02

Since it seems no one has an extension to sort tabs by URL...

What if you save the tabs as bookmarks, sort the bookmarks - by URL, then open that set of bookmarks (bookmarks folder)?
Then you can ask a question, does anyone make an extension to sort bookmarks by URL ;-) ?

Or, gather a list of all tabs (URLs), export to csv, sort by URL, export to html, open html & then open all links found in html into tabs ...

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-19, 19:13

Actually, looking at Sort Tabs's source code, sorting tabs themselves might not be too difficult.
The problem is that actually making the extension will take its time...

Bookmarking tabs just to sort them isn't really a solution, especially for "temporary" tabs with sites you are not interested in bookmarking, but still want sorted.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-19, 22:49

vannilla wrote:Actually, looking at Sort Tabs's source code, sorting tabs themselves might not be too difficult.
The problem is that actually making the extension will take its time...

Bookmarking tabs just to sort them isn't really a solution, especially for "temporary" tabs with sites you are not interested in bookmarking, but still want sorted.
Scratch that: I ended up making this extension in one go.
I submitted it to the add-ons website (assuming everything went right), so it should be available soon.
You'll find it in the "Bookmarks & Tabs" category, called "SortTabsBy".
By default it sorts by title (because that's what people expect I guess), but if you go to the preferences (open add-on manager -> click "preferences" in the extension entry) there's an option to change to URL sorting.
It should be fairly straightforward, but just tell me if there's any issue.

GMugford

Unread post by GMugford » 2018-08-20, 13:53

I had considered the one-time solution of grabbing all the tabs into a bookmarks list and sorting it and restarting and loading the bookmarks. But I was putting it off since it seemed a lot of bother for this current situation with the 400 tabs. So I asked here.

An lo and behold, Vannilla to the rescue. THANK YOU. I look forward to your addition to the toolset. GM :thumbup:

GMugford

Unread post by GMugford » 2018-08-20, 14:04

Worked perfectly. Given my idiocy, I did NOT uninstall the existing SortTabs extension. Ergo, when I restarted and went to the tabs right-click menu, I found TWO Sort Tabs options. I picked the one at the top, which it turns out was YOURS. And got EXACTLY what I wanted. I will follow this posting with removing Eric's extension. You might want to change the menu choice to Sort Tabs By. Thanks for your time in fixing MY issue. Hopefully others can benefit. GM :clap:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-20, 14:49

GMugford wrote:Worked perfectly. Given my idiocy, I did NOT uninstall the existing SortTabs extension. Ergo, when I restarted and went to the tabs right-click menu, I found TWO Sort Tabs options. I picked the one at the top, which it turns out was YOURS. And got EXACTLY what I wanted. I will follow this posting with removing Eric's extension. You might want to change the menu choice to Sort Tabs By. Thanks for your time in fixing MY issue. Hopefully others can benefit. GM :clap:
Glad it worked fine.
I did only a minimal testing to see if the tabs were actually moved around, but it seems the sorting doesn't have any issues.
Having the option called "Sort tabs" felt more intuitive when I was programming, and besides, I don't think it's worth having two tab-sorting extensions when one is an old Firefox add-on and the other is PM-specific and has an additional feature :P