Moving add on from Windows to Linux [solved]

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Tony0945

Moving add on from Windows to Linux [solved]

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-08-11, 18:17

I have the BetterPrivacy addon on Palemoon for Windows and want to add it to Palemoon on my Linux box.
The only place I find to download it is softonic and I don't trust them not to install other things or swap browsers.
Is there a procedure where I can extract BetterPrivacy from the Windows machine and install it on the Linux machine?
Last edited by Tony0945 on 2018-08-11, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Moving add on from Windows to Linux

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-08-11, 19:06

Yes, your add-ons are located in the extensions directory in your profile and you should be able to copy them between profiles.

On Windows, your profile should be somewhere in AppData; on Linux, you'll be looking for ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.Name of your profile/extensions/.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-11, 19:13

SpockFan02 wrote:On Windows, your profile should be somewhere in AppData;
Specifically, C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default is your profile folder on Windows, then your extensions are in the extensions folder under that.

An easier way to get to your profile is in Pale Moon, under Help > Troubleshooting Information, look for "Profile Folder" under "Application Basics" and then click on the "Open Folder" button.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-08-11, 21:16

Thanks all! I saw that I had an xpi file with the name in my Windows Downloads directory. I used SAMBA to copy this to my Linux desktop (Mate). Vaguely remembering this from Windows and Firefox, I left moused down on the desktop xpi file, dragged it to the Palemoon icon and dropped it. It worked!

I do appreciate knowing how to do it the right way. With all those extension links going away, existing installations will be the only source.

And I suppose they won't work on the new Beta Palemoon?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Moving add on from Windows to Linux [solved]

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-11, 23:40

Tony0945 wrote:And I suppose they won't work on the new Beta Palemoon?
Depends entirely on the extension. The few that I use regularly all work fine on both PM 27.x and the forthcoming PM 28. However, there have been enough big back-end changes in PM 28 that some existing extensions that work with PM 27.x will have to be updated/modified to work with PM 28. I'm not sure if BetterPrivacy is one of those.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Tony0945

Re: Moving add on from Windows to Linux [solved]

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-08-12, 16:38

Nigaikaze wrote: I'm not sure if BetterPrivacy is one of those.
I see I have the older version 1.68 anyway. But it is better than nothing.