Add-ons Site has been updated to Phoebus 1.9.2

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
New Tobin Paradigm

Add-ons Site has been updated to Phoebus 1.9.2

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-08, 03:47

It is or just about May 8th and as previously announced the Pale Moon Add-ons Site has dropped all integration with the Mozilla Add-ons Site aka AMO as well as support for Pale Moon 26 and earlier.

Though this is not the Phoebus 2.0 update which has been promised for years, all of us thought that JUST dropping AMO was not enough so earlier today (or yesterday) I hacked up and shoehorned in a small piece of Phoebus 2.0 for 1.9.2.

Introducing the return of SEARCH! You can now search for Extensions and Themes on the Add-ons Site once again! We hope this is a satisfactory consolation prize for loosing the integration points for AMO.

Stay tuned for new updates on this board.. and yes, Phoebus 2.0 is still gonna happen!
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-05-08, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: -> announcement

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Add-ons Site has been updated to Phoebus 1.9.2

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2018-05-08, 15:03

Another great job. Well and glad the search is back.

Hope you are ready for some possible negative bitching! LOL :D ;)
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-08, 15:31

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Introducing the return of SEARCH! You can now search for Extensions and Themes on the Add-ons Site once again! We hope this is a satisfactory consolation prize for loosing the integration points for AMO.
One small caveat:
Search terms are lost on the results page - search box is empty while it should have been filled with the search terms. This makes it a little difficult to modify "search".

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-08, 18:44

Fuck sakes.. Can't anyone just be happy with what their given. I said it was a hack.. I said it was last minute.. I said it was shoehorned in. I didn't say it was perfect. Also, it hasn't ever retained the terms even back on CMSMS.. One may expect it.. It might even be a great suggestion for enhancement but it wasn't pointed out like that.. It wasn't asked for..

It was given as a caveat: a warning, a limitation, in other words.. BITCHING. Bitching how it isn't good enough and it needs to be changed.

Thanks.. Nice thing to wake up to. How about this.. YOU change it.. Cause I ain't going to.. Not anytime soon. I would have if you asked.. Likely, very simple but NOPE. You will have to wait because you didn't ask. You complained.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-05-08, 18:56, edited 7 times in total.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-08, 19:09

I think the search function is amazing, @New Tobin Paradigm . Clearing the search field or not is a matter of preference: people who make several searches may find it annoying to have to select the field and erase the search terms each time.

If someone may be wondering why it doesn't work from the Add-ons Manager yet, here's a solution: Go to PM add-ons page, right click on the search field and choose "Add a keyword for this search" (I named mine "apmo"). There, now you can search it from your location bar and not have to visit the page if you don't want to.
Last edited by BlueOwl on 2018-05-08, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-08, 19:16

@BlueOwl
Thanks, I forgot about the Search Plugin.

The only solution to the "issue" is to leave the box on the menu bar cleared while adding a box on the results page that retains the current search terms. Also, bring the direct Search Engine Plugin back.

I think that will satisfy all requirements and cases. Expect some movement on this soon!

Additionally, the Add-ons Manager will have to wait for Phoebus 2.0.. The code involved in 1.x's form would be too convoluted to bother with since the manifests aren't in SQL only the slugs and tags to accomplish a search.

@Moonraker
Reported to moderators, also piss off.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-05-08, 19:20, edited 3 times in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-08, 19:34

Moonraker wrote:Growling like a {{unacceptable language removed}} isnt helping either..
Just saying.
Actually, in this instance I have to side with New Tobin Paradigm on this one.
He has put a lot of work in this project and it gets a little old to continually get knocked down for his efforts.
I would feel the same way. He did make it very clear that this was a "hack" :roll:

None of us really know about how much work goes into this project, nor how much he has contributed except
the team themselves. Put yourself in his shoes for a bit if you can. And try to show some appreciation even if
you may not like everything he says. Where would this project be without his help???
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-05-08, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-05-08, 19:47

Can't wait until the search is integrated into Pale Moon's add-on manager. :)

On a side note, there is a search plugin for the Pale Moon Add-Ons site available here, but it currently uses a Google search. Now that APMO supports searching directly, the plugin's URL can be updated:

Code: Select all

<os:Url type="text/html" method="GET" template="http://addons.palemoon.org/search/?terms={searchTerms}" resultDomain="addons.palemoon.org">
</os:Url>
Edit: Oops, the plugin was already mentioned. Reading is hard sometimes...
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-05-08, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-08, 19:52

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:@BlueOwl
Thanks, I forgot about the Search Plugin.

The only solution to the "issue" is to leave the box on the menu bar cleared while adding a box on the results page that retains the current search terms. Also, bring the direct Search Engine Plugin back.

I think that will satisfy all requirements and cases. Expect some movement on this soon!

Additionally, the Add-ons Manager will have to wait for Phoebus 2.0.. The code involved in 1.x's form would be too convoluted to bother with since the manifests aren't in SQL only the slugs and tags to accomplish a search.

@Moonraker
Reported to moderators, also piss off.
May as well report yourself then for foul language on a public forum.I will not rise to it and i am owed an apology at least.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-08, 20:06

Isengrim wrote:Edit: Oops, the plugin was already mentioned. Reading is hard sometimes...
Hey, now we have a general idea on how to update our plugins by ourselves! :)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-09, 05:38

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Fuck sakes.. Can't anyone just be happy with what their given. I said it was a hack.. I said it was last minute.. I said it was shoehorned in. I didn't say it was perfect. Also, it hasn't ever retained the terms even back on CMSMS.. One may expect it.. It might even be a great suggestion for enhancement but it wasn't pointed out like that.. It wasn't asked for..

It was given as a caveat: a warning, a limitation, in other words.. BITCHING. Bitching how it isn't good enough and it needs to be changed.

Thanks.. Nice thing to wake up to. How about this.. YOU change it.. Cause I ain't going to.. Not anytime soon. I would have if you asked.. Likely, very simple but NOPE. You will have to wait because you didn't ask. You complained.
Tobin, you need to relax. I did not complain, I was just telling there is something which can be improved. I think caveat/suggestion/enhancement/problem - all words might mean the same thing in this context. I am not American and this is a "global" forum, so you need not take literal meaning of words. I was just sincerely reporting something.

And to take some work off your shoulders (as you seem to be overloaded), I'll fix this thing myself.
Also, don't think your efforts are not appreciated just because I didn't say so, in that case I would -- you are a highly valued member of Pale Moon team and your work is highly appreciated. Keep up the good work!

Be happy, enjoy life!
Last edited by adesh on 2018-05-09, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-05-09, 08:15

adesh wrote:
And to take some work off your shoulders (as you seem to be overloaded),!
Agreed, that outburst was over the top and would have landed anyone else a warning.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-05-09, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-09, 09:25

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
adesh wrote:
And to take some work off your shoulders (as you seem to be overloaded),!
Agreed, that outburst was over the top and would have landed anyone else a warning.
We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.-"oscar wilde."

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-09, 09:33

yereverluvinuncleber and Moonraker: Your opinions were not solicited.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-05-09, 19:35

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:yereverluvinuncleber and Moonraker: Your opinions were not solicited.
Regardless, they were entirely valid.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-09, 19:44

An opinion by its very nature does not need to be "solicited" and the mere suggestion is preposterous.You as a maintainer of an add on site MUST be able to take on criticism and praise in equal measure,you cannot have the praise cake and eat it all the time.Pertinent queries and suggestions have been raised by members of this forum and you must show due dilligence and respond in a leaderly manner but instead you become aggresive.foul mouthed and quite unapproachable.This is not the way forward and as i am a member of a free democratic society i have the right to say this.
best wishes.

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-09, 19:50

Yeah? Well, I am free to ignore your opinions and suggestions and do whatever the hell I want. As you mentioned I am the developer of the Phoebus software... The ONLY developer and you are subject to my whims regarding its development because no one else will do it if I stop. THUS, MY opinion is you can shove your opinion and piss off like I already said.

My only obligation is to the Leader of the Add-ons Team and the owner of the Pale Moon project its self regarding development of this project.. But I can just always, you know, quit.. Cancel my server, hand the materials over to someone else and see if they can manage to do anything at all with it.

Freedom is great isn't it? You are free to get your self eventually banned if you keep up what you are doing.. and I am free to get upset and express that when most of what I hear are complaints from people.. Especially, when I went out of my way to give you all the gift of search ahead of time with special provisions and code.

Also, do know this.. The more pushback I get.. The less inclined I am to work.

Tread lightly.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-09, 19:58

Although I'm not a moderator, I do care about PM and the forum and wish to please remind everyone of this thread. :coffee:

Promoting constructive discussion on the forum, :angel:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12697

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-09, 20:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Yeah? Well, I am free to ignore your opinions and suggestions and do whatever the hell I want. As you mentioned I am the developer of the Phoebus software... The ONLY developer and you are subject to my whims regarding its development because no one else will do it if I stop. THUS, MY opinion is you can shove your opinion and piss off like I already said.

My only obligation is to the Leader of the Add-ons Team and the owner of the Pale Moon project its self regarding development of this project.. But I can just always, you know, quit.. Cancel my server, hand the materials over to someone else and see if they can manage to do anything at all with it.

Freedom is great isn't it? You are free to get your self eventually banned if you keep up what you are doing.. and I am free to get upset and express that when most of what I hear are complaints from people.. Especially, when I went out of my way to give you all the gift of search ahead of time with special provisions and code.

Also, do know this.. The more pushback I get.. The less inclined I am to work.

Tread lightly.
Everyone here on this forum including me appreciates your work and im sorry if i somehow caused offence or gave the wrong impression.Yeah i could shove my opinion up my arse but my opinion has been stated and cited so escalating this discussion into playground banter is just going around in circles,.Im sorry but i am not subject to any "whims" and i certainly will not be a whipping boy to you or anyone else .But i will say this,judging by your stressed out outbursts i feel maybe your biting more than you can chew and some help is what you require,
best wishes.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-10, 09:32

Off-topic:
There is a pretty distinct line between telling people in general to stop bitching as a voice of frustration, and on the other hand name-calling someone in particular. One is fine, the other will net you a warning or ban. Why? because one isn't personal and the other is a directed attack. If you don't understand that difference, please educate yourself in how to communicate using the written word; it may help prevent unnecessary offense. I will not treat both equal, and they should not be treated equal. So quit getting on my or our moderator's cases about taking action and stop complaining when judgement calls are made based on many factors, including the position someone has in our team and how long they've been around and how they have participated in the past. Yes, preferential treatment exists in communities, even though we do keep things as fair as possible. Deal with it.
Now, can we please get back to the topic of this thread instead of throttling one and other about how we interact?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite