Any chance we will get HTML5 DRM support at some point?

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
PCMasterRace

Any chance we will get HTML5 DRM support at some point?

Unread post by PCMasterRace » 2018-03-06, 21:51

It's the only way Netflix, YouTube Red, Amazon Prime Video, or really any premium video streaming will ever work. I would love to use PaleMoon as my primary browser, but without DRM and WebExtensions support (for LastPass and a few others) the prospects of that are sadly pretty slim. :cry:
Or is there a way to get Netflix/Amazon to play in Palemoon without using HTML5 or Silverlight?
What about this Baskilisk thing? I have not tried it yet, I will give it a look now.
Last edited by PCMasterRace on 2018-03-06, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Any chance we will get HTML5 DRM support at some point?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-06, 22:34

Not in Pale Moon.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-06, 22:36

You can use Basilisk for DRM and Webextensions - even if Webextensions support is more or less experimental only.

PCMasterRace

Unread post by PCMasterRace » 2018-03-06, 22:38

That's too bad. I guess I'll just have to keep switching back and forth between PM and FFDE. I did get an older version of LastPass to work but I'm not sure if i will be able to use the biometric access with it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-08, 06:09

PCMasterRace wrote:That's too bad.
Definitely depends on your view on blackbox DRM inside an Open Source browser...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-03-08, 08:12

Moonchild wrote:blackbox DRM
Wikipedia defines "blackbox DRM" as a non open-source solution. So supporting a DRM solution in an open-source browser does pose a huge problem, not just from a licensing point of view, but from a security view because it would expose the essence of the DRM and make it openly available for exploit.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-08, 11:03

WilliamK wrote:Wikipedia defines "blackbox DRM" as a non open-source solution.
Which is exactly what EME is. It downloads and uses closed-source content decryption modules.
WilliamK wrote:So supporting a DRM solution in an open-source browser does pose a huge problem, not just from a licensing point of view, but from a security view because it would expose the essence of the DRM and make it openly available for exploit.
Actually, it's the other way around. The essence (source) of the DRM is never revealed, and in fact the licensing of those modules prevents anyone from analyzing what it does, including doing so to report exploits. If you find a security vulnerability in a CDM, you had better not report it because you'd get sued for breach of license ("reverse-engineering" etc.). Of course that won't stop malicious elements from finding vulnerabilities and exploiting them.
But from a FOSS point of view, this is indeed bad; one advantage of FOSS is that there is always the clear transparency that the source is open for anyone to audit. That's not possible with DRM solutions through EME, which will download and run unchecked, unaudited executable code in the browser that could contain literally anything a supplier wants to put into it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite