Add-on update hangs!

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Add-on update hangs!

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-12, 18:05

When I click the cog-wheel symbol to check for updates to add-ons, Pale Moon hangs...
Why? What can I do?

megaman

Re: Add-on update hangs!

Unread post by megaman » 2017-10-12, 18:20

What are your add-ons?
What's your hardware, system specs?
Is your computer defragmented?
Can you try with a New Profile to see if it happens there, or at least Safe-Mode first?

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-12, 20:03

Windows 7 ultimate, quite a number of add-ons but since they do run in Pale Moon, they should be updated!
No specific hardware that could in any way be expected to interfere.
It, for example, hanged on Theme Tool 5.0.1 until I installed 5.0.2 over it, and it now no more hangs on a specific add-on, it just hangs generally and says "Updating add-ons"...

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-12, 20:46

As concerns running another profile, I first have to create one and give it some add-ons.
Then I can answer to that maybe tomorrow.
But in the meantime: Does the add-on update in Pale Moon update also deactivated add-ons, or only those that are activated?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-10-12, 21:11

NewMoon1wrote:
Windows 7 ultimate, quite a number of add-ons but since they do run in Pale Moon, they should be updated!
You need to be careful . . . a newer version just may not work even though an old one does. Can you give a list of your add-ons?

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-12, 21:25

Could one reason why it hangs be that the newer version is not compatible?
How do I know that, in that case, so that I can avoid hanging? And how do I know which one?
And I would still like to know if Pale Moon only tries to update activated add-ons, or also such that are installed but not activated?
This is an issue that is now becoming really actual since Ffox will deactivate many, probably most, add-ons when it upgrades to 57 and instead tolerate "Web-Extensions" (whatever that is).
For this reason I am migrating to Pale Moon and I suppose that a lot will do the same soon.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-13, 19:00

1. I still do not know if PM is supposed to also update deactivated add-ons, or only such that are active.
2. I created a new profile with the same add-ons and it also hangs when supposed to update them.
3. I have these add-ons:
about:config Buttons, Adblock Latitude, Advanced Cookie Manager, AlertIP, Always Awesome Bar, Behind The Overlay, Better Privacy, Bookmark Reduplicator, Bookmarks Checker, Clear History, Click&Clean, Close All Tabs (Reloaded), Complete Youtube Saver, Cookie Culler, CsFire, DownThemAll, FavIconReloader, FEBE, FlashGot, (Google Translator for Firefox), Greasemonkey, HTPPS Everywhere, IM Translator, Last tab close button, Link Cbecker, MoonTester Tool, No Script, PDF Viewer, Privacy Settings, RightBar, Save as PDF, Theme Compatibility Provider, (ThemeTools), Toolbar Buttons, uBlock Origin

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-13, 20:55

I just tried update checking, and it's just fine. I don't think there's an issue in the browser there.
Having a later version than known, or an unknown version, for that matter, will just come back with a "no updates". The update checker's server side code is very simple and will have an answer for you in very little time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-14, 04:33

For you it may be fine. For me it still is not. "Updating add-ons" is standing ther3 forever...
And that in both profiles I now have...
And there just will have to be a reason!
Furthermore I would,like to have an answer to #1 above...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-14, 09:44

In Add-ons Manager, click on "More" next to an extension you want to update. (Just pick any one for now.) Then click on "Check for Updates". What happens?
NewMoon1 wrote:And I would still like to know if Pale Moon only tries to update activated add-ons, or also such that are installed but not activated?
It will update all installed add-ons, whether activated or not.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-14, 11:47

There's no problem with the browser, nor with the add-on update service (we checked both last night). That leaves a potential issue with your networking causing a request to not get a response.

As for #1, it doesn't make a difference whether the extension is active/enabled or not when you check for updates.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-14, 15:19

This is strange!
I tried just a few other DNS-es (using DNS Jumper) and it did not change. It still hangs.
Maybe it needs a port that is not open?
It seems to work in Firefox ...

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-14, 16:37

More strange...
I before yesterday installed PM also in my Linux Mint partition in the same computer and today gave it some add-ons.
It updates them there!
So why not in my Win7 partition ...?

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-17, 05:06

COULD IT BE?
That there is a setting in about:config for how add-ons are updated?

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-18, 07:45

I installed Add-ons Manager Fix from https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/
There is a choice of settings at the cog-wheel symbol.
After marking nearly all, it looks like the add-on update will work.
I will see when there is a new update available.

So it looks as if this will have changed a setting somewhere in Pale Moon, most likely in about:config ...
Wherever it may be ...

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2017-10-19, 20:51

NewMoon1 wrote:1. I still do not know if PM is supposed to also update deactivated add-ons, or only such that are active.
2. I created a new profile with the same add-ons and it also hangs when supposed to update them.
3. I have these add-ons:
about:config Buttons, Adblock Latitude, Advanced Cookie Manager, AlertIP, Always Awesome Bar, Behind The Overlay, Better Privacy, Bookmark Reduplicator, Bookmarks Checker, Clear History, Click&Clean, Close All Tabs (Reloaded), Complete Youtube Saver, Cookie Culler, CsFire, DownThemAll, FavIconReloader, FEBE, FlashGot, (Google Translator for Firefox), Greasemonkey, HTPPS Everywhere, IM Translator, Last tab close button, Link Cbecker, MoonTester Tool, No Script, PDF Viewer, Privacy Settings, RightBar, Save as PDF, Theme Compatibility Provider, (ThemeTools), Toolbar Buttons, uBlock Origin
I just updated an extension that was disabled, so that does work.
You had better hang onto Bookmarks Checker and Better Privacy, because those have disappeared from the Mozilla addons site. You can modify install.rdf in their installers to make them install in Pale Moon, and they do work. If you did not keep a backup copy of those installers, you can extract them from the Firefox profile (and rename them to make them more recognizable).

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-20, 05:18

Thanks,
how do I modify the rdf file to adapt to Pale Moon?
I actually have saved a whole repository of add-ons from Firefox, using FEBE, which I recommend for this purpose.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-23, 20:44

One modification in the rdf file that is obvious in many cases, like in Firefox, is to increase the value at "maxversion".
I do not see any specific modification for pale moon, compared to firefox, that could be helpful.
Is there one?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-24, 18:01

NewMoon1 wrote:Thanks,
how do I modify the rdf file to adapt to Pale Moon?
I actually have saved a whole repository of add-ons from Firefox, using FEBE, which I recommend for this purpose.
A better idea is to install Moon Tester Tool, and then use that to install incompatible extensions. It automatically modifies the install.rdf and chrome.manifest files. Much easier and faster than doing this by hand.

Moon Tester Tool.

You get this in Moon Tester Tool's prefs:
Easy-peasy!
This will save you a lot of time if you have a lot of extensions to install.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀