Clearing up confusion and misconception of the Add-ons Site and Team

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Clearing up confusion and misconception of the Add-ons Site and Team

Unread post by Falna » 2017-01-22, 18:48

GreenGeek wrote:I think 2 main things are bothering some of us about APO (that's addons . palemoon . org. not APMO by the way).

1) Appearance and Ease of Use - not very appealing (the home page is just text)....

2) No known way to upload, or register as a developer, other than (at least in the past) submitting a private message to you to get an extension added.
Matt A Tobin wrote: There is no off the shelf solution for the items you want but I agree with most of the features suggested.
To repeat a suggestion I made elsewhere, The Document Foundation launched a new CMS based website (using Plone) for LibreOffice extensions & templates a few weeks back that seems to me to fulfil those wishes - it seems to be easy to use, and any registered user can submit templates and extensions.

The software is available on Gitub, so could potentially be modified to suit PM.

More:
https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2016/12/14/libreoffice-has-a-new-extensions-templates-website/
https://github.com/tdf

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-01-22, 20:21

I believe those are extensions for the office suite itself (word processor, etc.). Doesn't seem particularly relevant to me, and the article didn't explain the CMS. I tried LibreOffice on Windows but uninstalled it - was extremely slow and less stable than OpenOffice (but of course others may have better results).

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-01-22, 23:44

GreenGeek wrote: I believe those are extensions for the office suite itself (word processor, etc.)
Absolutely.
GreenGeek wrote:Doesn't seem particularly relevant to me.
Happy to explain:
It's an add-on site, just like the PM add-on site, but used to deliver content to an office suite instead of a web browser.
It's powered by a free and open source Content Management System (CMS) that happens to contain LibreOffice extensions & templates - nearly 700 of them in various versions.
So it should be easy* to modify the CMS to hold Pale Moon extensions & themes instead (*certainly easier and quicker than writing custom software as Tobin had to do, and is currently proposed for the next set of enhancements).
And since it's based on a well-respected CMS, it sounds a viable option (compared to the software use for the Firefox add-ons website, which apparently isn't).
GreenGeek wrote:I tried LibreOffice on Windows but uninstalled it
Whether or not their office suite is good or bad isn't relevant.
The question to answer is "does their add-on website deliver a good experience for end users and extension developers" in comparison to the current PM site. IMHO it does, though as with most software there is always scope for improvement. It certainly does the two main things that you said you wanted on the previous page; take another look.
GreenGeek wrote:the article didn't explain the CMS
It's a press release, so not too surprising - most readers won't care as long as the site provides a good experience. That's why I mentioned the software used and provided a link to Github.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-01-23, 01:38

Yes, I agree the Libre extension site is nicer and pretty close to what is needed. (I'd replace the :thumbup: :thumbdown: with stars.) But their version is just an example of what can be done; it would mean installing "plain Plone" ;) , right? Plone doesn't look different than the choices that come with my web hosting account (most of which I tried/used many years ago) and it's usually easier to get those pre-selected ones installed. Maybe Plone is more secure though if the hype can be believed. I have gotten really fed up with spam-bots flooding my forum and similar type software setups to the point of uninstallation being the only practical solution (had to remove SMF tonight). I'm too old and tired to fight that stuff anymore.

Probably pointless anyway unless some of us users wanted to do our own site given the official responses and lack of interest.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-01-23, 02:06

Ok.. This is ridiculous.. What part do you guys not actually get about how there is still no off the shelf solution to what the Pale Moon Project needs in an Add-ons Site.. You guys go on and on about Content Management Systems and the way the site visually looks and what SOCIAL aspects you would like to see...

Here is a question... How do you handle the Automatic Updates Service hmm? The dozen or so integration points for the browser's Add-ons Manager? Receiving and then responding to those queries in a way the browser expects?

The Add-ons Site Software does more than crap out HTML to form web pages. It is a service infrastructure that must go well beyond page display and links to XPI files.

Also, now not only should the software I just wrote to specifically do the job and I committed to continuing to write and maintain AFTER I QUIT the broader Pale Moon project you guys are gonna now set up your own rogue add-ons sites?! Seriously, you guys not only don't understand the excessive complexity of what is by definition a service platform which has for two years been provided out of my pocket and my time at no cost to you but even as I want to go and explore new options and challenges I didn't want to leave everyone hanging in the balance you want to throw it all away because you don't have little rank stars and basically a mini-forum on each page?

What kind of madness is this anyway? Oh, it is because I am not "protected" by status and position and fair game now. Because I have a signature image that you don't like and I say things that while being true aren't politically correct. Yeah that sure makes me want to do things for you guys.. What great thanks for two and a half years of my life dominated and dedicated to you very people. AND YET despite all this I am still going to keep my word and accomplish what I said I was going to do.. Not because you guys find some way to guilt me into it or shame me into acting the way you would want me to act so you don't get offended.. No, I am going to because while I may not be perfect.. I do my very best to do what is right and to be a person of conviction and principles.

Most of all, there are lots of other people than you dozen or so cry babies and nitpickers who deserve better than perhaps I have been able to consistently give in the past.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-01-23, 03:54

Regarding automatic updates: it isn't all that important. Users can get notices of new versions other ways, which might be best anyway. Extensions don't necessarily need any/many updates if the browser doesn't break compatibility.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-23, 13:49

GreenGeek wrote:Regarding automatic updates: it isn't all that important. Users can get notices of new versions other ways, which might be best anyway. Extensions don't necessarily need any/many updates if the browser doesn't break compatibility.
I think you missed the point of what Matt A. Tobin is trying to tell you guys.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-01-23, 22:50

PhoxFyre

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-24, 04:12

Matt A Tobin wrote:Ok.. This is ridiculous.. What part do you guys not actually get about how there is still no off the shelf solution to what the Pale Moon Project needs in an Add-ons Site.. You guys go on and on about Content Management Systems and the way the site visually looks and what SOCIAL aspects you would like to see...

Here is a question... How do you handle the Automatic Updates Service hmm? The dozen or so integration points for the browser's Add-ons Manager? Receiving and then responding to those queries in a way the browser expects?

The Add-ons Site Software does more than crap out HTML to form web pages. It is a service infrastructure that must go well beyond page display and links to XPI files.

Also, now not only should the software I just wrote to specifically do the job and I committed to continuing to write and maintain AFTER I QUIT the broader Pale Moon project you guys are gonna now set up your own rogue add-ons sites?! Seriously, you guys not only don't understand the excessive complexity of what is by definition a service platform which has for two years been provided out of my pocket and my time at no cost to you but even as I want to go and explore new options and challenges I didn't want to leave everyone hanging in the balance you want to throw it all away because you don't have little rank stars and basically a mini-forum on each page?

What kind of madness is this anyway? Oh, it is because I am not "protected" by status and position and fair game now. Because I have a signature image that you don't like and I say things that while being true aren't politically correct. Yeah that sure makes me want to do things for you guys.. What great thanks for two and a half years of my life dominated and dedicated to you very people. AND YET despite all this I am still going to keep my word and accomplish what I said I was going to do.. Not because you guys find some way to guilt me into it or shame me into acting the way you would want me to act so you don't get offended.. No, I am going to because while I may not be perfect.. I do my very best to do what is right and to be a person of conviction and principles.

Most of all, there are lots of other people than you dozen or so cry babies and nitpickers who deserve better than perhaps I have been able to consistently give in the past.
Thank you for all the dedication that you have put in, sure I might not have been here for 2.5 yrs ( :shifty:) I, actually enjoy this Addon Site better than the Mozilla one, this one is straight forward with no convoluted menus, I truly thank you for your dedication. Here's it to a few more :D!
Off-topic:
I say, If it isn't your cup of tea, don't drink it.