Project Phoebus - The Second Generation Add-ons Site v1.0

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
New Tobin Paradigm

Project Phoebus - The Second Generation Add-ons Site v1.0

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-06, 10:28

It has been somewhat over two years since I announced my intention to work on a "Second Generation" Add-ons Site built from the ground up to service the needs of the Add-ons Site.

A lot has happened in those two years.. We are just about upon the dawn of codename "Tycho" the next ground breaking milestone in Pale Moon. We are gonna need an Add-ons Site that has more capabilities than the mishmash of scripts I originally wrote to augment an off-the-shelf CMS to service our needs for the future.

With that.. I would like to announce that version 1.0 of Project Phoebus has been completed. Not everything will be in this initial version but like "Tycho" more will come in time.

My goal with version 1.0 was to accommodate the features of the "CMSMS Hybrid" Add-ons Site as it stands today. Replicate first then enhance.

Version 1.0 offers nearly identical functionality from a front-end perspective to the old site. However, everything in the back end has been written from scratch (save one small module). I have spent two weeks day and night writing this code and I am very proud of this initial version that is about ready to be made live.

Though, two points have changed from the perspective of the end user browsing the site:
1) There will no longer be an "All Extensions" page.
2) There is no search functionality. Yet. This will require more creative thinking on how to handle that. I have some ideas but they will be implemented in a later version.

The Add-ons Team and broader Pale Moon Team are very excited by this development and we all hope you are as well. There is still much to do to fulfill all of what Project Phoebus wants to accomplish but this is the biggest and most important step as it lays the groundwork foundation.

I have a little bit of housekeeping to do before it lands on addons.palemoon.org. So, I am announcing that there will be downtime for the Add-ons Site on Tuesday, November 8th.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: [Downtime] and [Announcement] Project Phoebus - The Second Generation Add-ons Site v1.0

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-08, 10:22

And Phoebus 1.0 has landed.

Extension developers: manifest.ini is no longer used please use the new phoebus.manifest and phoebus.content files to manage your add-on's metadata and such. If you need help please send me a PM on the forum or stop by the IRC channel.

I shall be documenting this fully in a few days when I have had a chance to take a short break.

Peace!

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: [Downtime] and [Announcement] Project Phoebus - The Second Generation Add-ons Site v1.0

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-14, 17:59

Matt A Tobin wrote:It has been somewhat over two years since I announced my intention to work on a "Second Generation" Add-ons Site built from the ground up to service the needs of the Add-ons Site.
Though, two points have changed from the perspective of the end user browsing the site:
1) There will no longer be an "All Extensions" page.
2) There is no search functionality. Yet. This will require more creative thinking on how to handle that. I have some ideas but they will be implemented in a later version.
As a user, I too am excited about your new development.

But I am disappointed that you removed the 'All Extensions' page before you created a search function. Lots of Add-ons don't fit neatly into specific categories. So currently I have to look at every category that you created to find if there is an appropriate Add-on.

I hope that when you do create the 'Search' feature, that you will at a minimum allow searching by not only key word, but also by author: like is now available as part of the Search feature on the Pale Moon forums.

Harry

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-14, 18:38

As stated.. Search is a bit of a wrinkle I haven't fully worked out how to do yet. Also, the extra logic of an All Extensions page would be complex as hell..

Extension categories are the most complex logic I think as apart of Phoebus. Though now we aren't bound to a specific category for each extension.. It can now live in multiple ones.

I would appreciate any developmental help anyone would like to contribute on Project Phoebus. https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/phoebus

Though I am not planning to bring back a super page of all extensions.. Search is a priority.

Created https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/phoebus/issues/19

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-14, 21:50

Matt A Tobin wrote:I would appreciate any developmental help anyone would like to contribute on Project Phoebus. https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/phoebus

Though I am not planning to bring back a super page of all extensions.. Search is a priority.
Thanks for the clarification.

I would be willing to provide some assistance, but of the list of skill requirements you listed on
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10197
I only have Attention to Detail, and reasonable Communication skills.

Harry

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-14, 21:58

One not need be apart of the add-ons team to contribute to the software part. One does need to know php because it is the language it is written..

137ben
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 137ben » 2016-11-16, 01:27

Matt A Tobin wrote:I have spent two weeks day and night writing this code and I am very proud of this initial version that is about ready to be made live.
(Emphasis mine.)
Is that supposed to say two years?
Otherwise, glad it is here. :clap:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-16, 03:49

Maybe...... :D

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

All Extensions page [Project Phoebus - The Second Generation Add-ons Site v1.0]

Unread post by VLMin » 2016-11-22, 00:05

Greetings!

Another forum user directed me to this thread. A search function does not, in any manner, replace the simple, age-old, time-tested ability to scan down a comprehensive list of items. Please bring back the All Extensions page. I cannot imagine that this would be difficult either to implement or maintain (particularly since it has already been done), and given that a search function does seem difficult to implement or maintain, this seems to me a no-brainer.

Thank you kindly,

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-22, 07:41

My suggestion is since it is not difficult and a no brainer is to submit your patch to add this functionality to the Phoebus repository as a pull request so that those in charge of such things may evaluate.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2016-11-22, 14:05

Matt A Tobin wrote:My suggestion is since it is not difficult and a no brainer is to submit your patch to add this functionality to the Phoebus repository as a pull request so that those in charge of such things may evaluate.
Happy to do so. How does one do so?

jack_alexander

Unread post by jack_alexander » 2016-11-24, 04:12

Any idea when it will be up again. The 8th was several days ago (sarcasm)! :lol:

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2016-12-01, 21:06

Are you talking about - http://addons.palemoon.org/ ??

It is up and running.

According to previous messages.

Phoebus 1.0 has landed.

Extension developers: manifest.ini is no longer used please use the new phoebus.manifest and phoebus.content files to manage your add-on's metadata and such. If you need help please send me a PM on the forum or stop by the IRC channel.
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Project Phoebus - The Second Generation Add-ons Site v1.0

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-12-30, 08:09

By popular demand and lack of search for the foreseeable future.. I have coded your old favorite standby.. The "All Extensions" page. DO NOTE this page does tax the server quite a bit both computationally and disk reading.. So I would appreciate it if those who read this would not hit this page excessively.. Though, the server should deal with it just fine..

Anyway, consider it a late xmas present.. Here it is: http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/category/all/.

EDIT - Do note that when extensions enter multiple categories since we have this capability now after an audit there WILL be duplicates on this page.. There is no plan to resolve possible duplications since everything is grouped by category on one page.

If you want to tackle this submit a patch to the Phoebus repository and someone will evaluate it.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Project Phoebus - The Second Generation Add-ons Site v1.0

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-12-30, 18:13

Matt A Tobin wrote:By popular demand and lack of search for the foreseeable future.. I have coded your old favorite standby.. The "All Extensions" page.
For all of us old folks who don't know every extension by name and category, THANKS SO MUCH!

Harry