Please add more information on native Pale Moon add-ons

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Wuzzy

Please add more information on native Pale Moon add-ons

Unread post by Wuzzy » 2016-09-12, 12:53

The info pages of many of the native Pale Moon add-ons found on the add-on list leave much to be desired. The following information is almost always missing:
  • Contact information of the author (for feedback, bug reports, contributions, etc.)
  • Website (if applicable)
  • Links to documentation and similar documents (if they exist)
  • Other links of interest (if they exist)
  • Whether it is free software
  • Repository link (if free software and version-controlled)
  • License
  • Screenshot (less imporant)
In contrast, most of this information is provided for Firefox add-ons on https://addons.mozilla.org/.
Especially the missing contact information bothers me the most. If an add-on is broken for some reason, I would have no idea who to talk to. :-(

Remember, I only write about the native Pale Moon add-ons (or forked ones), not the external ones, since the native add-ons also have their info pages hosted on addons.palemoon.org.
Could you please somehow make sure this information (or at least as much as possible) is included in the add-on pages? This would make life so much easier for me and surely many other Pale Moon users out there. :-)

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Please add more information on native Pale Moon add-ons

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-09-12, 15:02

Wuzzy wrote:
Especially the missing contact information bothers me the most. If an add-on is broken for some reason, I would have no idea who to talk to.
If it's a Pale Moon specific add-on (like, for example, Adblock Latitude, or the themes made by Lootyhoof) you would use this forum.

For all the other things you've mentioned, someone else will have to answer that.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-12, 20:00

SOME of this metadata is on the actual PAGE of any particular extension. Also, I do intend on increasing said metadata but I see no reason to make category listings over inflated with metadata otherwise what would be the point of each add-on having their own page in the first place?

For now any additional info that isn't apart of metadata can be added to the general description text if the author decides to. There are some examples of this.

However, THAT specific page you linked, won't be around forever. Eventually, the "All Add-ons" page will have to be abandoned once we get a number of listings that is too large.

We do have search for a reason, you can even add it to the browser search box as it now advertises a search plugin for easy adding. No, the category pages will remain as they are. However, in due time, the each individual add-on page will expand it's metadata.

Wuzzy

Unread post by Wuzzy » 2016-09-12, 20:58

Are the add-on pages edited by Pale Moon developers or by the add-on developers or by someone else?

Oh, and of course I meant to suggest to add metadata on the specific add-on pages, not neccessarily on the overview page(s). I agree that more metadata should be used sparingly on the overview page(s), otherwise it would get to crowded.

Maybe (!) one (!) information I would add on the overview/category page(s) is free software y/n. Please discuss.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-12, 23:18

The handful of developers have access to a metadata file called manifest.ini of which populates the pages. If I extend it to things that might not be there it would require a lot more code with conditionals if a value is there or not and would get much more complicated than I am prepared to do at this stage. Also, where do you purpose to get all this new metadata?

In any event, it would require defining new keys in manifest.ini and adding a lot of checking and conditional logic as well as more display elements. Simply put, I am just not prepared to put a lot of effort into displaying more and more on an add-ons page that the bulk of people don't read anyway.

Perhaps in the future this can be re-evaluated.

AS for your free software question.. I don't see what it matters if it is free or not.. I am not going to play that game. Extension developers have the right to license their code any way they see fit and I am not going to put a huge flag up saying if it is free or pure all rights reserved. We don't really care one way or another. What we care about is if it is functional and not some spammy scam malware.

RESOLVED WONTFIX