Can i install incompatible add-ons? Topic is solved

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Klappis

Can i install incompatible add-ons?

Unread post by Klappis » 2016-05-28, 08:42

Many add-ons doesn't support PM anymore since their minimum requirements usually are at least FF v29 and above. How can i circumvent that? If possible will they work as intended?

dark_moon

Re: Can i install incompatible add-ons?

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-05-28, 16:58

You need to write the addon dev a message to ask for Pale Moon support.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-28, 17:23

v29+ as a requirement for add-ons usually means they are written to exclusively interface with the Australis front-end, and as such won't ever work for Pale Moon as-is. You can try to force the installation but you're likely going to run into issues with the extension not working, or even breaking the browser due to compatibility issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2016-07-06, 11:52

Don't forget to look near the bottom of the add-on's page for Version Information > See complete version history, in case there is an older version that is compatible with PM.

Klappis

Unread post by Klappis » 2016-07-06, 11:55

Moonchild wrote:v29+ as a requirement for add-ons usually means they are written to exclusively interface with the Australis front-end, and as such won't ever work for Pale Moon as-is. You can try to force the installation but you're likely going to run into issues with the extension not working, or even breaking the browser due to compatibility issues.

That's unfortunate! I really hate the Australis interface especially the tabs which with it's curved tabs takes a lot of unnecessary space.
Scribe wrote:on't forget to look near the bottom of the add-on's page for Version Information > See complete version history, in case there is an older version that is compatible with PM.
Thanks but already knew that. Well gotta stick with older versions even though they are a security risk.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-07-06, 12:32

Klappis wrote:.... even though they are a security risk.
Klappis, to my knowledge this is usually NOT the case with extensions (unlike Flash Player, Java, or the browser itself).
Extension updates are more often focused on either bug fixes or changed features -- and yes, you may want some of these, just how much depending on the extension and its context -- but they are not usually security-related in my experience.

Furthermore, many FF extension updates of the past year+ have been attempts to keep compatibility with FF's changing landscape and just still function. Since Pale Moon has taken its own direction, THOSE kinds of updates are not relevant to Pale Moon.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-07-06, 12:46

Klappis wrote:... Well gotta stick with older versions even though they are a security risk.
If you read through the version changes for most extensions there are bug fixes and changes in functionality, but not a lot of security changes. Plugins are a different deal and you do need to keep many of them updated for security changes.

Klappis

Unread post by Klappis » 2016-07-06, 19:20

x-15a2 wrote:
Klappis wrote:... Well gotta stick with older versions even though they are a security risk.
If you read through the version changes for most extensions there are bug fixes and changes in functionality, but not a lot of security changes. Plugins are a different deal and you do need to keep many of them updated for security changes.
coffeebreak wrote:
Klappis wrote:.... even though they are a security risk.
Klappis, to my knowledge this is usually NOT the case with extensions (unlike Flash Player, Java, or the browser itself).
Extension updates are more often focused on either bug fixes or changed features -- and yes, you may want some of these, just how much depending on the extension and its context -- but they are not usually security-related in my experience.

Furthermore, many FF extension updates of the past year+ have been attempts to keep compatibility with FF's changing landscape and just still function. Since Pale Moon has taken its own direction, THOSE kinds of updates are not relevant to Pale Moon.
That explains it. Thanks!