Is there a way to download previous versions of add-ons? (ie Extension Preferences)

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
yetanotherid

Is there a way to download previous versions of add-ons? (ie Extension Preferences)

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2016-02-18, 14:38

Is there a way to download previous versions of add-ons from the Pale Moon add-on site that I'm too silly to find? Or do I need to start ensuring my profile extensions folder is backed up before updating anything?
For example the Extensions Preferences add-on was recently updated but I don't like the new Tools menu item. Is there a way to revert to the previous version?

In case anyone is wondering......
I have Windows menus set not to open a sub-menu item until I click on it. That rule is followed by start menu items and program menus. When I previously clicked on the Pale Moon Tools menu I could highlight "Extension Preferences" with the cursor but the list of extensions wouldn't open until I click on "Extension Preferences". I'm used to that behaviour and the latest version of Extension Preferences doesn't play by the rules. It's more like having a toolbar button as a menu item.

Thanks

Edit: After posting it occurred to me I'd recently been playing with Pale Moon on Linux, and fortunately I'd installed the Extension preferences add-on, so I had a copy of the previous version. I'd still like to know if there's a way to revert to old versions via the Pale Moon add-ons site though.

Thanks again.
Last edited by yetanotherid on 2016-02-18, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Is there a way to download previous add-on versions? (Extension Preferences)

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-02-18, 15:06

yetanotherid wrote:I'm used to that behaviour and the latest version of "Extension Preferences" doesn't play by the rules.
That's because the new menu item is a split menu; clicking it opens the Add-ons Manager, and hovering it reveals the submenu. That's just how a split menu works; the AppMenu's "Options" item, for example, works the same way.

I think the new Tools menu item is a big improvement, but if you wish, I can send you an old version of the extension by PM.

yetanotherid

Re: Is there a way to download previous versions of add-ons? (ie Extension Preferences)

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2016-02-18, 15:16

Thanks. I just finished editing my initial post to report I'd found a previous version.

With any luck, a future Extension Preferences version will have an option to revert to the old "two menu items" behaviour. :)

The "split menu" idea doesn't work for me as it doesn't follow the Windows menu rules (set not to open sub menus until clicked, for me).
There's an arrow on the new "add-ons" menu item, and if the sub-menu followed the rules (it didn't open until I clicked on the arrow) I could probably get used to that "dual behaviour". In fact, when I first saw the new arrow, I kind of expected it would work that way. Currently, it's the only sub menu that opens without me clicking on a menu item, so I click on it out of habit, and it opens the add-ons list instead of the extension preferences sub-menu.
Antonius32 wrote:That's just how a split menu works; the AppMenu's "Options" item, for example, works the same way.
That must be something I've customised away..... because I'm not sure what the AppMenu is. :)

Thanks again.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Is there a way to download previous versions of add-ons? (ie Extension Preferences)

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-02-18, 15:26

yetanotherid wrote:There's an arrow on the new "add-ons" menu item, and if the sub-menu followed the rules (it didn't open until I clicked on the arrow) I could probably get used to that "dual behaviour".
I'll see if I can (add an option to) make the menu item work that way.

yetanotherid

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2016-02-18, 15:40

Okay..... If the AppMenu is the menu you get when clicking on the 'Pale Moon" button that replaces the menu bar when it's closed. I know what it is now. If that's the case....

For the record, those split menu items half follow the normal menu rules (I'm using the Atom version on XP). You can click on the arrow on a menu item to open a sub menu rather than the "main" menu function. The sub-menu's don't follow the rules in that they automatically open regardless of the Windows menu settings, but at least you can click on part of the menu item (the arrow) and still get just the sub menu.

Why do all the "split menu" items seem to double up on functionality? For instance "save page as" opens the save dialogue when you click on it, yet the "save page as" sub-menu also includes a "save page as" menu item. It seems like whoever designed the menu system couldn't commit to the split behaviour. ;)

Do any other Windows programs have split menus with functionality independent of the Windows menu setting, or just browsers?
I'll confess I'm really struggling to see why split menu items are better.

My two cents worth......

Thanks.
Last edited by yetanotherid on 2016-02-18, 15:54, edited 2 times in total.

yetanotherid

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2016-02-18, 15:41

Antonius32 wrote:
yetanotherid wrote:There's an arrow on the new "add-ons" menu item, and if the sub-menu followed the rules (it didn't open until I clicked on the arrow) I could probably get used to that "dual behaviour".
I'll see if I can (add an option to) make the menu item work that way.
Awesome! Thanks. Although I'll confess I'd prefer an option to "unsplit" the menu items.

Cheers.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-02-20, 22:05

yetanotherid wrote:Awesome! Thanks. Although I'll confess I'd prefer an option to "unsplit" the menu items.
I have updated Extension Preferences Menu; replacing the Tools menu's "Add-ons" item with a custom split menu is now optional.
Extension Preferences Menu version 2.13.9.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yetanotherid

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2016-02-21, 16:40

Antonius32 wrote:
yetanotherid wrote:Awesome! Thanks. Although I'll confess I'd prefer an option to "unsplit" the menu items.
I have updated Extension Preferences Menu; replacing the Tools menu's "Add-ons" item with a custom split menu is now optional.
Thank you very much. I'm happy again. Sometimes it's the little things. Although......

For split items in the AppMenu....
When the Options sub-menu opens, the first sub-menu item is also Options, therefore when the Add-ons sub-menu opens, the first sub-menu item should also be Add-ons (or Extensions)..... just to be consistent.

Thanks again!

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-02-22, 15:10

yetanotherid wrote:When the Options sub-menu opens, the first sub-menu item is also Options, therefore when the Add-ons sub-menu opens, the first sub-menu item should also be Add-ons (or Extensions)..... just to be consistent.
I have updated Extension Preferences Menu once again. This is what the menu looks like in the new version:
Extension Preferences Menu version 2.13.10.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yetanotherid

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2016-02-25, 19:00

Antonius32 wrote:
yetanotherid wrote:When the Options sub-menu opens, the first sub-menu item is also Options, therefore when the Add-ons sub-menu opens, the first sub-menu item should also be Add-ons (or Extensions)..... just to be consistent.
I have updated Extension Preferences Menu once again. This is what the menu looks like in the new version:
Extension Preferences Menu version 2.13.10.png
Nooooooooo!!!!! :o :o

I even used <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags to make sure it was clear I wasn't serious.

At least it's now consistent with the rest of the split menu items, although in this case Extension Preferences Menu was being sensible while the rest of the split menus have duplicate sub-menu items that in my opinion should be removed.

Mind you not having the PaleMoon button thingy enabled, I'll be able to pretend it's not there......
I really don't get the point of two columns of menus. How is covering some of the menu items with other menu items a better idea?

And there's the Edit menu item, which behaves differently again, probably because it contains icons, although it's the one split menu that does follow the Windows menu opening rules (the sub-menu doesn't open until I click on the arrow), but it's like having toolbar buttons on a menu item that's a toolbar button...... why does the AppMenu have to be so compact, is it bad if it covers a little more of a web page while I'm using it..... why is the arrow for opening sub-menus such a teeny, tiny little target..... why do the cut, copy and paste icons have tooltips that say cut, copy and paste while the rest of the menu items show keyboard shortcuts.... if it requires a text tooltip to identify an icon why not use a text menu.... why do split menus have duplicate sub-menu items...... what do I click.... where do I click.... why are split menus better than separate menu items??

The last one is still a mystery to me.

Okay..... I'm ranting. Some people may love the split menus, but I'm not a fan. Can you tell? ;)

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-02-25, 20:01

I didn't design the AppMenu, but since EPM's submenu is consistent with the other submenus now, I consider the addition of the "Add-ons Manager" item an improvement.

Oh, and if you have any other requests, please don't hesitate to ask!

yetanotherid

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2016-02-26, 11:07

Antonius32 wrote:I didn't design the AppMenu, but since EPM's submenu is consistent with the other submenus now, I consider the addition of the "Add-ons Manager" item an improvement.

Oh, and if you have any other requests, please don't hesitate to ask!
Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you and I do very much appreciated the changes you made to EPM (no sarcasm at all).
I was just expressing my opinion regarding the AppMenu and split menu items, which obviously I'm not particularly crazy about. Maybe I got carried away, but I didn't mean to offend. I hadn't assumed the AppMenu was your design and as I don't use it the last change you made to EPM doesn't effect me anyway.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, and thanks again. I appreciate your effort.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-03-01, 15:57

yetanotherid wrote:Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, and thanks again. I appreciate your effort.
Well, I think I overreacted a little bit - sorry about that. It's just that developing a new feature for an extension that works on different platforms, and with different applications, can be very time-consuming, so please don't suggest/request a feature ("sarcasm" tags, or not) if you're not serious about it.