how do i stop addons from checking for updates?

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
alpha1

how do i stop addons from checking for updates?

Unread post by alpha1 » 2015-12-05, 11:13

i have the automatic updates off for each addon, but the browser (addons manager) keeps informing me of new updates automatically. is there any way to disable this completely, and only check manually?

thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: how do i stop addons from checking for updates?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-05, 13:08

Click the gear and uncheck "Update add-ons automatically" in the Add-on manager.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alpha1

Unread post by alpha1 » 2015-12-05, 16:45

wow! thanks. i don't know why i didn't try that. does this override the individual add-on "automatic update" function? i mean, do i still need to turn off the "automatic update" for each add-on, or makes no difference?

thanks again.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-12-05, 21:10

alpha1 wrote:does this override the individual add-on "automatic update" function?
I think it's the other way around: the per-add-on settings are there so you can override the global preference. There are three options:
  • Default - Apply the global preference.
  • On - Automatically install updates for that particular add-on, regardless of the global preference.
  • Off - Do not automatically install updates for that particular add-on, regardless of the global preference.

alpha1

Unread post by alpha1 » 2015-12-06, 09:08

actually, turning off the "update add-ons automatically" does nothing. i unchecked it, and it still automatically checked for updates. i remember trying it a long time ago, to no avail. there doesn't seem to be a simple way to prevent the add-on manager automatically checking for updates.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-12-06, 19:18

alpha1 wrote:i unchecked it, and it still automatically checked for updates.
With the "Update Add-ons Automatically" preference unchecked, Pale Moon will still check for updates, but it won't install them automatically.

If you want to turn off automatic updates for your add-ons altogether, you can set the preference extensions.update.enabled in about:config to "false".

alpha1

Unread post by alpha1 » 2015-12-07, 02:39

ok, thanks. i just set it to false. hopefully no more automatic checking whatsoever.