Clean Links addon is no longer on Firefox's addons website

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website.

Moderators: Indalecio, satrow, Lootyhoof, Andrew Gilbertson

Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
aegis

Clean Links addon is no longer on Firefox's addons website

Postby aegis » Tue May 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi,
I notice that Clean Links addon is no longer on Firefox's addons website : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ean-links/

The extension is still avable on the official github page : https://github.com/diegocr/CleanLinks

So please modify the link also in our Pale Moon Extensions page (https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/)

gracious1
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Clean Links addon is no longer on Firefox's addons website

Postby gracious1 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:30 am

I tried installing it, but I got an error saying the file is corrupt. It didn't download as an XPI file but only as ZIP. Not sure exactly what to do with that. Everything seems to be in there (bootstrap.js, chrome, etc.) but how to install?
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside. — Alexander Pope

coffeebreak
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby coffeebreak » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 am

There's an extra "CleanLinks-2.7.0" folder in there that triggers that message.
(Or whatever version number, if you downloaded another version.)

Unzip it.
Then go into the directory with the constituent files.
Select all the contents (but not the surrounding "CleanLinks-2.7.0" folder) and re-zip.
Change the extension from .zip to .xpi.

It should install now (it did just now for me).

LimboSlam
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby LimboSlam » Sat May 27, 2017 1:20 am

I tried the above to no avail, but maybe I missed something. Thus, I did several searches and found this neat add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... icompiler/, which automatically compiles add-ons. However, I ran into some errors apparently. See below:

Error.jpg
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Giraffe
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby Giraffe » Sun May 28, 2017 7:34 am

Just tried CoffeeBreak's method and it worked, including an icon.
I've used the zip - rename method before, but didn't know about the folder problem with this one, so thanks for that.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Postby Lootyhoof » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:00 pm

For what it's worth, I have reached out to Diego (author of Clean Links) to see if they would like to host it with us (since they're no longer on AMO, and are compatible with us). I've yet to hear back, so for now I've changed the link to point to the GitHub repo. In the readme there, it specifies an extension one can install which can quickly install this (if downloading and renaming the .zip isn't something people want to do).

d3v14n7
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby d3v14n7 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:15 pm

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this. (MOD: Nope, use a link to a page for download not to the file)
By all means delete the attachment if not. (MOD: Done)
However, I saw this thread and pulled 2.7.1 from my Pale Moon to offer up to those who need it.
Obviously, I also don't wish to cause a server load by doing so, but I'm sure the demand won't be so high in such a specific thread.

lyceus
Forum staff
Forum staff

Postby lyceus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:46 am

d3v14n7 wrote:I don't know if I'm allowed to do this. (MOD: Nope, use a link to a page for download not to the file)
By all means delete the attachment if not. (MOD: Done)

Edited your post since you broke some rules, please do not upload files unless you are asked to. Add them as a link to a download page, not the file directly.

d3v14n7
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby d3v14n7 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Fair enough, but there is currently no download link - which is the reason for this thread.
Hence, why I pulled the add-on from my own PM install for those requesting it.
Fine that you deleted it, but your "Add them as a link to a download page, not the file directly." is redundant and therefore unhelpful.
In view of this, I quickly searched, found a free upload site named "TinyUpload" and uploaded it to there: Clean Links 2_7_1.xpi
Warning! I don't know how safe the site is, but it still worked despite some of my precautionary security blocks.

Falna
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Falna » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 am

d3v14n7 wrote:please do not upload files unless you are asked to. Add them as a link to a download page, not the file directly.

Maybe it would be helpful to others to update the rules (https://forum.palemoon.org/app.php/rules) if this is now the policy?

d3v14n7
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby d3v14n7 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:01 am

Falna wrote:
d3v14n7 wrote:please do not upload files unless you are asked to. Add them as a link to a download page, not the file directly.

Maybe it would be helpful to others to update the rules (https://forum.palemoon.org/app.php/rules) if this is now the policy?

Uh, you quoted me quoting him, instead of simply him.
I'm not bothered.
Just, at first glance it reads like I said it, that's all.

Falna
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Falna » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Sorry for that d3v14n7 :O
Should have posted correctly, as I imagine that lyceus can edit the page in question, or knows someone who can:
lyceus wrote:please do not upload files unless you are asked to. Add them as a link to a download page, not the file directly.

lyceus
Forum staff
Forum staff

Postby lyceus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 am

d3v14n7 wrote:Fine that you deleted it, but your "Add them as a link to a download page, not the file directly." is redundant and therefore unhelpful.

Falna wrote:Maybe it would be helpful to others to update the rules (https://forum.palemoon.org/app.php/rules) if this is now the policy?

Why we don't allow direct file upload?

Because people in the past used to link directly movies, music, programs and other material without have the legal rights to share, aka warez aka piracy. A direct link can lead to anything as this is a public place and anybody can read the forum.

I won't edit the link now that you provided as you posted it inside a sharing service, so for the legal jumbo mumbo we don't serve directly files that can have a legal claim for copyright rights. On this case the legal sharks can be ok with it as the sharing service page is who that has the hot potato now.

I hope this is enough clear for you both.

Return to “The Pale Moon add-ons website”