why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website.

Moderators: Indalecio, satrow, Lootyhoof, Andrew Gilbertson

Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Argonianaccount

why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Postby Argonianaccount » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Why is this warning Author Not Verified on every extension download even those from the palemoon addons site. Im the kind of person that tries to use as few addons as possible for 3 reasons:

*Addon becomes out of date, no longer supported stops working.
*Compromises browser security perhaps because it is no longer being updated or flawed from the get go.
*Addon compromises privacy.

So i would like to know why no author of any extension can be verified and this warning is always given! Thank you.

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Re: why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Postby JustOff » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:02 pm

The ability of add-on signing for author verification was introduced by Mozilla about 10 years ago (in Firefox 2?), but I saw only one or two extensions that used this feature (Adblock Plus and ?). May be it's time just to remove this from install dialog because it actually means nothing.

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Postby New Tobin Paradigm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 pm

This discussion already happened. It stays for now. Bigger fish to fry than a bobble like this.
Support the Pale Moon Project and add the following to your filter exceptions:

Code: Select all

@@||*.palemoon.org^$document
@@||palemoon.start.me^$document

Or you know.. You could just donate!

gracious1
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby gracious1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Not being privy to the prior discussion, I would like to know more about why this warning is in there, and why it cannot or will not be removed, and who made that decision. It may seem trivial, but to the end-user seeing this warning does not inspire confidence but rather doubt. This is a big deal to many users. Therefore, I would like to encourage the developers to remove it.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside. — Alexander Pope

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Postby New Tobin Paradigm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm

It isn't a warning. It is informational. Also, many users? This thread is the first time it has been brought up. I brought it up a year or two back.. But it just isn't important.
Support the Pale Moon Project and add the following to your filter exceptions:

Code: Select all

@@||*.palemoon.org^$document
@@||palemoon.start.me^$document

Or you know.. You could just donate!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Signing an extension to verify author requires a code-signing certificate. Most extension developers who don't do this for a living will not want to spend the money required for such a certificate. As such, Pale Moon can't verify that the extension is published by the person who claims to be the author. Then again, that is what we have people for who check things before they are published on the add-ons site.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

ArchieLukas
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Postby ArchieLukas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks Moonchild for a real honest non-avoiding the subject answer.

Much appreciated

gracious1
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby gracious1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Moonchild wrote:Signing an extension to verify author requires a code-signing certificate. Most extension developers who don't do this for a living will not want to spend the money required for such a certificate.....

I meant to thank you for an honest, straight-forward answer about this, too. Thanks.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside. — Alexander Pope

Return to “The Pale Moon add-ons website”