Hikvision Network Video Recorder browser plugin

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

PhilK

Hikvision Network Video Recorder browser plugin

Unread post by PhilK » 2016-09-03, 13:23

Hikvision - which is the largest manufacturer of video surveillance recorders in the world - has a browser plugin for MS WIndows that allows you to view/play/manipulate video in the browser. It works with IE and Firefox. (Tested with IE 11 and Firefox 45.3.0 ESR here. It installs itself under "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Web Components" in Windows.)

But it doesn't seem to work with PaleMoon. I assume it has to know specifically about each browser it supports?

dark_moon

Re: Hikvision Network Video Recorder browser plugin

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-09-03, 13:37

You need to contact the plugin devs. Only the developer can fix it.

I wonder why we need in 2016 plugins anyway. HTML5 works great and doesn't need any plugins.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-09-03, 13:41

dark_moon wrote:You need to contact the plugin devs. Only the developer can fix it.

I wonder why we need in 2016 plugins anyway. HTML5 works great and doesn't need any plugins.
Yeah HTML5 is great until all the nasty DRM is integrated.

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2016-09-03, 14:08

dark_moon wrote:I wonder why we need in 2016 plugins anyway. HTML5 works great and doesn't need any plugins.

If you think that's bad, various of their competitors are still selling NVRs which require IE to view video in a browser. Even Microsoft is trying to kill off IE now! :lol:

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2016-09-03, 14:10

half-moon wrote:
dark_moon wrote:You need to contact the plugin devs. Only the developer can fix it.

Yeah HTML5 is great until all the nasty DRM is integrated.

Good point. That particular thing is probably, in my view, the worst thing the W3C has ever done to the web.

If Berners-Lee supported that, his reputation in my eyes has been terribly tarnished.